Disadvantages of Addon domains compared to WHM?

Various hosts provide 2 different ways of hosting multiple sites.

1. Addon domains within cPanel by using subdirectories.

2. Multiple domains using WHM.

Obviously option 2 sounds better but what are the disadvantages in option 1 as compared to option 2?

I don't want to resell domains....all domains will be managed by me.....so in one way I see an advantage in option 1 whereby I can control all domains through 1 login.

In Dreamhost where I am hosted currently I can manage all my domains through 1 login but each domain has its own directory in the root directory. 1 domain does not lie as a subdirectory of another domain. I prefer this method.

Since I have not used cPanel before, can anyone tell me if option 1 or 2 is closest to the Dreamhost method?

If your host allows multiple domains, you can add them through cpanel under the Addon Domains link. Then cpanel will create a directory in the main domain's root directory, as you have mentioned above, and you can upload all the content of your addon domain in there. cpanel allows you to create email, ftp etc account for your addon domains as well. With this way you can control all your domain under one cpanel account.
    Web Hosting by Brontobytes

Add-on domains are sub-directories within the main account, option 2 is what you are looking for if you need something with it's own root directory.

Disadvantages? I would say none. WHM gives you the ability to have separate control panels for each domain, cPanel allows you to manage all domains from the same control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali

Disadvantages? I would say none. WHM gives you the ability to have separate control panels for each domain, cPanel allows you to manage all domains from the same control panel.
    So you would have different username and password to control the domain with WHM?
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

Addon domains have been known to randomly break at times. The fix is generally just to re-add them via cPanel with no need to re-upload everything. Simple fix, but a PIA.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by ITAhmed
    So you would have different username and password to control the domain with WHM?
    Yes.

You would have multiple usernames and passwords for each domain setup under the WHM reseller account. Ofcourse you can still add add-on domains.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    Yes.

You would have multiple usernames and passwords for each domain setup under the WHM reseller account. Ofcourse you can still add add-on domains.
    You would have different user/pass for each, but you can also access them all from the "master" account.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

The biggest disadvantage (in my opinion) to add-on domains is that if you need to restore (from a cpanel backup) everything gets restored. With WHM they are independent.
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    You would have different user/pass for each, but you can also access them all from the "master" account.

--Tina
    Yes that is correct
    Last edited by 1Ali; 11-29-2006 at 09:52 PM.

Addon domains have been known to randomly break at times.

--Tina
    What could be the possible reasons for that to happen?

Addon domains have been known to randomly break at times. The fix is generally just to re-add them via cPanel with no need to re-upload everything. Simple fix, but a PIA.

--Tina
    The only time I've known this to happen is when files are being transfered to a different server.

Quote Originally Posted by nikhilpai
    What could be the possible reasons for that to happen?
    Server/data migration and, every great once in awhile with upgrades.

--Tina

--Tina
    IIRC, this works for Cpanel itself but not Webmail, PHPMyAdmin or SSH, although there are ways to get around this limitation if you need to.

Another advantage of WHM is that being under different usernames the sub-accounts are relatively secure from each other. A vulnerable script on one addon domain would give access to all other domains in the account.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Is a WHM/cPanel solution best for multiple domain hosting?
    Or is a web host offering H-Sphere better?

Quote Originally Posted by nikhilpai
    Is a WHM/cPanel solution best for multiple domain hosting?
    Or is a web host offering H-Sphere better?
    Personally, I don't like cPanel and I avoid cPanel/WHM hosts because they tend to be less competitive and less competent.
    But there are many of them, so you have more choice than hosts with other control panels.

It depends on what you want/like.

Also, even among cPanel hosts, some offer more features than others.
    So, it's really difficult to know everything before getting the account.

Probably, we can make a script that checks the available features of the host, automatically,
    and also a chack-list/entry form for all kinds of features and limits,
    then check our hosts with to gather/update the result.

Any school teacher/student intersted in doing something like that?

Maybe I should start a thread about possible school/community projects.

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    Personally, I don't like cPanel and I avoid cPanel/WHM hosts because they tend to be less competitive and less competent.
    But there are many of them, so you have more choice than hosts with other control panels.
    Those two things you said don't make sense together.

Maybe you would mind explaining how just because a company uses cPanel/WHM that they are less competitive then any other host? Thats funny..

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyAnonymous

Maybe you would mind explaining how just because a company uses cPanel/WHM that they are less competitive then any other host? Thats funny..
    We offer cpanel, after years of dragging our feet on the decision, simply because it was requested over and over and over in sales inquiries. So, our decision to offer it was based soley on being competitive.

That said, I do agree that you have to be careful with cPanel hosts. It gives sysadmin-wannabees a false sense of security and stability. I can't even count the number of posts from newbie hosts that think cPanel/WHM can handle all of their admin needs with a "point and click".

--Tina

It gives sysadmin-wannabees a false sense of security and stability. I can't even count the number of posts from newbie hosts that think cPanel/WHM can handle all of their admin needs with a "point and click".

--Tina

The same would be true of any control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyAnonymous
    Maybe you should explain why you thought they didn't make sense.
    Possibly, you didn't see the possibility of many hosts being less competitive and less competent.
    Since there are many many many startup and smaller hosts that I would say there are more of unprofessional hosts than good one, unfortunately.

As it's my personal opinion and I don't claim to have 100% truth,
    you can comfortably disagree/ignore and be happy.

These threads would help you to understand, too.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=549803
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=549291
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=553776