An Idea I had...

I just started a new forum a few days ago, and I was brainstorming ways to bring in traffic. I thought it would be a good idea to have a recruiting contest, and offer a prize to the member who manages to recruit the most members within a month or so. (Through referrals when a new member creates an introduction thread.)

Anyway, I was thinking of what I could offer that would appeal to gamers, who are obviously the targeted demographic for a gaming site, which this is. A staff member jokingly suggested that I send the winner a Nintendo Wii, and after thinking about it, I'm not so sure that that's a terrible idea. (I haven't slept all night, so maybe I'm just not thinking correctly right now )

So basically, I'm wondering what you guys think. Do you think this would work? I wanted to choose an item that would appeal to my member base and that was hot right now, and I think in terms of that, the Wii is the perfect choice. It's going to cost $400+ though and I really have no idea if I'm going to get enough traffic in return to make it a worthwhile investment, and I don't know how I would pay for it, I guess I'll think of something.

I've never really heard of a forum doing something like this, I'd love to get some feedback though. Thanks in advance.
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: [email protected] AIM: HCLiveHelp02

why don't you start off with link exchanges and affiliate programs?
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Josh
    ... I'd love to get some feedback though. Thanks in advance.
    I think it would depend a lot on your current member base. There would be a huge difference between 5 members doing this and 100. How many members do you have now?

Contests are always good for maintaining your current member base and even attracting new members. Incentive driven recruitment drives can accomplish both.

I'd suggest a longer period than 30 days. Maybe 60 or 90. Also, you'd probably want to put in some other conditions. x # of posts by the recruited member or something to prevent your current members from creating new accounts and listing themselves as the referrer.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I've grown successful forums in the past using those methods, but I was trying to think of alternative solutions that could gain a lot of traffic quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    I think it would depend a lot on your current member base. There would be a huge difference between 5 members doing this and 100. How many members do you have now?

Contests are always good for maintaining your current member base and even attracting new members. Incentive driven recruitment drives can accomplish both.

I'd suggest a longer period than 30 days. Maybe 60 or 90. Also, you'd probably want to put in some other conditions. x # of posts by the recruited member or something to prevent your current members from creating new accounts and listing themselves as the referrer.
    Currently we have 15, but I have access to a large community of gamers who would be perfect for this if necessary, they simply need an incentive to join.

As far as the fraud goes, I'll ensure that no IP is used more than once, I'll enable email and admin verification of every account, and if necessary I'll scan IPs to be sure that no proxy servers are being used. I don't think that people trying to cheat will be too large of an issue, provided I take the required steps to prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Josh
    I've grown successful forums in the past using those methods, but I was trying to think of alternative solutions that could gain a lot of traffic quickly.
    How do you anticipate getting members so quick? Traffic doesn't mean eligible members

Moved to Web Design and Content.
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

Well I know plenty of people who would join for this contest, I definitely think I could gain a lot of members quickly with it.

I setup the contest today, I decided to play it a little safer though and offer a copy of World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Expansion to the winner instead, it'll cost me considerably less that the Wii lol

So far it seems to be going well, it doesn't officially start until tomorrow, but I've already got people registering, and everyone I've asked thinks it's a good idea. I'm going to run it from December 1st to the 31st, so hopefully we'll gain a solid amount of activity during that period.