RackSpace quote and alternatives

Hi All,

I got a ridiculous quote from rackspace yesterday and was wondering if any one could recommend an alternative (without compromising on the managed service) for lower prices.

Thank you,

Ryan

So basically what is your budget and requirement, just mention them here and i can suggest you some good hosting companies which will certainly suit your need.

If you're looking for a cheap server then Rackspace is not the company to go with. They are very highly regarded for good managed servers but you pay a high price. Equally, you should expect to pay similar amounts from a good managed server provider because they won't be overselling and you're almost guaranteed to get quality service.

Having said that, if you post your requirements and your budget then it'll be easier to advise alternatives.
    David

You could also take a look in the offer section and then hire a third party management company. Do a search on WHT for a managed host and you will find many choices.

What did RackSpace quote?
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcmaster
    Hi All,

I got a ridiculous quote from rackspace yesterday and was wondering if any one could recommend an alternative (without compromising on the managed service) for lower prices.

Thank you,

Ryan
    Hey Ryan,

To give an accurate reply to your post, the community would need to know what it is you're looking for, what was quoted, and where you need to be, since the rackspace quote seemed to be too high.
    Jason Brozena
    Total Server Solutions
    - Servers - Cloud - ECommerce Hosting
    COLO@ Colocation. Perfected. Atlanta - Dallas - Phoenix
    Weehawken - Los Angeles - Chicago - Seattle - Toronto - London - Amsterdam

Ryan,

You could try LiquidWeb.Com, they are a fully managed provider. Alternatively you can get an unmanaged server from SoftLayer.Com and get a System Administrator such as Rack911.Com to manage your server. If I am not mistaken Soft Layer also provides System Administration at $3/ticket last time I heard.

Hope this helps.

LiquidWeb's dedicated aren't much cheaper, 150$ for a managed server.
    Still what was Rackspace quote about?

sorry for the delay . . .

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay.

Here is my minimum server specification:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux v4.0 (Root Access)

PROCESSOR:
    Single AMD 64-bit 3200+ Processor

MEMORY:
    2GB DDR RAM

HARD DRIVE:
    2 x 80GB SCSI (10,000RPM) Hard drives

CONTROLLER CARD:
    Raid controller card (RAID 1)

Aggregate Bandwidth 150 GB per Month (burstable)

Our budget for this is between $200 - $600 per month including some form of managed service. The more the better for us.

If you think I am being too cheap with my expectations feel free to let me know!

Regards,

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcmaster
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay.

Here is my minimum server specification:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux v4.0 (Root Access)

PROCESSOR:
    Single AMD 64-bit 3200+ Processor

MEMORY:
    2GB DDR RAM

HARD DRIVE:
    2 x 80GB SCSI (10,000RPM) Hard drives

CONTROLLER CARD:
    Raid controller card (RAID 1)

Aggregate Bandwidth – 150 GB per Month (burstable)

Our budget for this is between $200 - $600 per month including some form of managed service. The more the better for us.

If you think I am being too cheap with my expectations feel free to let me know!

Regards,

Ryan
    Any specific control panel your looking for (or I guess a bettter question is, do you need one)? BTW, there's no such thing as an 80GB SCSI drive. SCSI's only come in 9GB, 18GB, 36GB, 72GB, 146GB and 300GB. I'm guessing you were quoted on either an EIDE or SATA drive.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Hi,

Rackspace quoted 2 x 73GB SCSI (10,000RPM) Hard drives and have plesk 7.5 reloaded as a control pannel

I would give either Dedicated Now or Liquidweb a shot and see what numbers they come back for you
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon