Thread: LVM vs RAID0

LVM vs RAID0

What are the advantages/disadvantages of both? Why would I choose a LVM instead of a RAID0...as far as I know, both provide 100% loss of data with one failure but only RAID0 provides a great performance gain, right?

I already know the negatives and worries for RAID0 so please don't bother, just whats the difference with RAID0 and an LVM?

Is there anyway to setup my data so it appears as one hard drive without losing all data if one hard drive fails? So if I had 2x250GB my / directory could hold 500GB-(/boot and swap) and if one failed then it would just be 250GB-(/boot and swap)??

Thanks

Well, if you have more than 250GB on the LVM (on a 250GB drive pair), shrinking the LVM, in case of a drive failure, wouldn't save you

You need 4 drives for what you want to do, LVM + RAID1, if a drive fails then, you have a mirror copy and could just replace the drive without downtime, if you can hotswap them.

Does LVM provide performance gains like RAID0? I mean if I had four drives I'd probably just setup a RAID10.

There is no performance gain with LVM.
    ReflexNetworks means Happy Clients!

With LVM, I know you will have difficulties with some software - I'm particularly thinking of backup type stuff. In my case systemimager will not support it.

If you want a setup that will provide data protection if a drive dies, then you will have to use RAID1 or 5. In both cases you will always have the same amount of disc space after a HDD death than before.

Nothing will allow you to use all 500 Gb (using 2 250Gb drives) and have all your data still present on 250Gb after 1 drive dies - eg, what happens if you store 251Gb of data on your 2x250Gb RAID0 partition? Where would the other 1Gb be stored?

You do get performance gains with RAID0.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good.