Thread: Vps Gui!!!!

Vps Gui!!!!

I was wondering, for VPSes, is there a GUI that can be used to configure as oppopsed to SSH. I was not sure thought I would check with you.... kind of like phpmyadmin for mysql?
    Entry level users may finding challenging to use SSH
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

Quote Originally Posted by ITAhmed
    I was wondering, for VPSes, is there a GUI that can be used to configure as oppopsed to SSH. I was not sure thought I would check with you.... kind of like phpmyadmin for mysql?
    Entry level users may finding challenging to use SSH
    Yes, its very much possible. Ask your VPS provider, if its fully managed, to install a GUI desktop like KDE or GNOME. It's the same thing like Windows, except instead of Remote Desktop, you VNC in (check out http://realvnc.com for the lightweight Windows client).

If your trying to install it, I recommend you install something like 'yum' first, and then use that to install the GUI environment (x11-xorg, vnc, vnc-server, kde, firefox, etc).

-Sean

I'm not sure if that is an option for him, what are the resourses available and for how many clients, and what kind of clients?
    When he told about 'phpmyadmin' I've somewhat figured out what he means, and I think Webmin - http://www.webmin.com - is what he wants, it has full system administration web interface and a client web interface (Usermin) for "end users" to manage their sites, e-mail, files and so on.
    Oh and it's free.

Rui

I was wondering, for VPSes, is there a GUI that can be used to configure as oppopsed to SSH. I was not sure thought I would check with you.... kind of like phpmyadmin for mysql? Entry level users may finding challenging to use SSH
    Configuration is really not that much different form a dedicated server, so the same options apply: cPanel, DirectAdmin, H-Sphere, Plesk, ServerCP, Webmin....
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Quote Originally Posted by RMSSF
    I'm not sure if that is an option for him, what are the resourses available and for how many clients, and what kind of clients?
    When he told about 'phpmyadmin' I've somewhat figured out what he means, and I think Webmin - http://www.webmin.com - is what he wants, it has full system administration web interface and a client web interface (Usermin) for "end users" to manage their sites, e-mail, files and so on.
    Oh and it's free.

Rui
    Ahhh... I thought he meant GUI as in Desktop type GUI. Any control panel will suffice, Webmin, Plesk et al...

-Sean

Quote Originally Posted by seankoons
    If your trying to install it, I recommend you install something like 'yum' first, and then use that to install the GUI environment (x11-xorg, vnc, vnc-server, kde, firefox, etc).
    i keep hearing people say this and saying it's easy, but i've been trying all day and it's proving to be impossible.

first of all i'm a linux noob and i'm trying using VMware GSX Server 3.2 and running centOS 4.
    i can login root account using SSH on a remote machine just like i would for a VPS, but i can't get into a GUI.

so far i've installed YUM (well it came packaged with it) and have no idea what to do in SSH.

anyone mind giving me some tips?
    i understand putty client (what i'm using) can't display a GUI but i just want to use it to install a GUI and install VNC which i have no idea how to do.

PS: i have RealVNC Viewer ready and waiting on my XP machine along with putty client.

Quote Originally Posted by HotShowers
    i keep hearing people say this and saying it's easy, but i've been trying all day and it's proving to be impossible.

first of all i'm a linux noob and i'm trying using VMware GSX Server 3.2 and running centOS 4.
    i can login root account using SSH on a remote machine just like i would for a VPS, but i can't get into a GUI.

so far i've installed YUM (well it came packaged with it) and have no idea what to do in SSH.

anyone mind giving me some tips?
    i understand putty client (what i'm using) can't display a GUI but i just want to use it to install a GUI and install VNC which i have no idea how to do.

PS: i have RealVNC Viewer ready and waiting on my XP machine along with putty client.
    See my other post, about the basic instructions on how to do this: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=566343

If you have YUM already installed, your half way there. Also, what kind of specs does your VPS have? Because this kind of setup (KDE/GNOME on a VPS) requires at least 256MB Guaranteed memory, otherwise KDE or GNOME will constantly crap out. Oh, and if you have a control panel as well (cPanel especially), your going to need more memory.

I'm not saying that KDE or GNOME just won't flat out work on a low-end VPS, but it will be horribly slow, and will slow down your other functions as well (your domains, etc).

If you still need help, PM me or better yet, just pay the $10 to your host and have them do it.

I'm not too familiar with VMWare on Linux, so I don't know if it has any other special requirements. But these instructions should work on any Linux distro, running on any host.

-Sean

Maybe he have forgotten to 'init 5' ?
    Also, what kind of specs does your VPS have? Because this kind of setup (KDE/GNOME on a VPS) requires at least 256MB Guaranteed memory, otherwise KDE or GNOME will constantly crap out. Oh, and if you have a control panel as well (cPanel especially), your going to need more memory.
    Definitelly 256 is the minimum, and its very slow already with just 256.
    About cpanel he can just disable all cpanel services, basically 'service cpanel stop' or '/etc/init.d/cpanel stop' and disable it from the init scripts will be enouth, and beware of chkservd too, if enabled it will restart cpanel.
    I have experience using VMWare and linux and there is not much problem using gnome or KDE, latelly I've installed FC5 on VMWare server and it installed and run the GUI smooth and easy right after the installation without special configurations or any problems, but I know there are some hardware configuration that can make you loose some extra time with adjustments, but generally, its always possible to run the GUI on VMWare.
    About running a GUI on a VPS, I've always thought its a bad idea unless its a VPS with pretty high specs.

Rui
    Last edited by RMSSF; 12-01-2006 at 06:02 AM.

Sorry all it took me a while to get back to you.
    I am looking for something to connect to the desktop of the VPS server.... I do not know much about linux. so the SSH is greek to me. The vps has nothing on it. I was thinking of installing LAMP and stuff like that, but figured a desktop style to navigate is easier. I do not have YUM installed either.
    I am using putty. server is running CentOS release 4.3 (Final)
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

Sorry all it took me a while to get back to you.
    I am looking for something to connect to the desktop of the VPS server.... I do not know much about linux. so the SSH is greek to me. The vps has nothing on it. I was thinking of installing LAMP and stuff like that, but figured a desktop style to navigate is easier. I do not have YUM installed either.
    I am using putty. server is running CentOS release 4.3 (Final)
    See Rui, I was right, he was looking for a Desktop GUI interface

Ahmed, check out my other post to HotShowers on how to get this setup on your CentOS VPS: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=566343

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Sean

Thank you Sean. How do I download YUM onto the VPS server... I am connected through the Putty. I think I can follow the instructions in that thread once I get yum installed.

.. and once you get the Xwindows desktop installed, you're just going to end up opening shell windows to do your work anyway. The configurations for anything you are going to use for web hosting are all text file based, so there's usually not a need for a fancy GUI interface. There are a few GUI-based configuration tools on RedHat/CentOS platforms, but they have rudimentary feature sets and are poorly developed because nobody uses them.

I highly recommend you check out Webmin as others have suggested in this thread. Webmin's sole purpose for existence is to simplify the configuration of *nix servers. It has a great plugin system so you can get a simplified configuration interface for just about everything, and there's no long process to get it running. When you install the RPM it sets up a small resource-efficient web server for itself so all you need to do is browse to your server to configure it.

Unless you have applications that you have a specific need to install Xwindows for, it's generally best to not have it installed on a server. Coming from a Windows background it might seem that having a GUI installed would make things easier to configure, but that methodology really doesn't apply to *nix. Xwindows is an application that installs over the OS, and is not part of the OS itself. The "control panel" really isn't close to what is offered by Microsoft Windows, as there are many core system components that cannot be configured from within X.

I also strongly suggest looking into managed service offerings to help you out with the VPS configuration while you're just starting out. They can get things setup the way you want them, and later on when you want to make changes you'll have good working examples from your own server to reference. When I started out years ago I would configure things until they were a jumbled mess and then I'd have to start over from the beginning until I finally figured everything out. It's much easier to "reverse engineer" something that is already working than trying to configure something you're not familiar with from scratch. Leveraging a managed services offering will help to boost your knowledge of *nix configuration in a bug hurry.
    Eric Spaeth
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

as an alternative, may I suggest a very simple solution : FTP.

meaning : installing on your local windows XP machine the free client WinSCP (excellent local windows GUI) and navigate throughout your remote server without using an SSH client . when you need to edit something, just double-click on a file and the file contents pop-up in the in-built text editor of WinSCP, which works like notepad.

- you need nothing else.
    - nothing installed on your remote server to bog you down re: memory.
    - keep your cpanel.
    - nothing new to learn - plug and play!!

a very easy solution to work with, : lean and mean

ulysseNL

Quote Originally Posted by ulysseNL

as an alternative, may I suggest a very simple solution : FTP.

meaning : installing on your local windows XP machine the free client WinSCP (excellent local windows GUI) and navigate throughout your remote server without using an SSH client . when you need to edit something, just double-click on a file and the file contents pop-up in the in-built text editor of WinSCP, which works like notepad.

- you need nothing else.
    - nothing installed on your remote server to bog you down re: memory.
    - keep your cpanel.
    - nothing new to learn - plug and play!!

a very easy solution to work with, : lean and mean

ulysseNL

I couldn't agree with you more UlysseNL, but sometimes when a new Linux user comes around, they expect certain pretty things such as the Desktop GUI comparable to Windows. You can't blame them for that -- that's all they know and expect it everywhere.

We can only hope, that over time, they will outgrow their absolute personal requirements of a GUI and learn the ways of the force/command prompt.

ITAhemd: Look into getting a decent Linux book, I can recommend O'Reilly & Associates "Running Linux" and "Linux System Administration".

-Sean

all sounds great thank you.... I will look into getting the book you recommended sean.... in the mean while, how can I install YUM.... I need to download it on the vps server but not sure how from ssh

all sounds great thank you.... I will look into getting the book you recommended sean.... in the mean while, how can I install YUM.... I need to download it on the vps server but not sure how from ssh
    I just looked at your signature, and you seem to be part of an organization that offers comprehensive hosting solutions (including VPS).

There is no one in your company that knows how to install YUM via the command line on a VPS? Just curious....

-Sean

LOL.... There are... I am however traveling do trying to get this situated for a personal friend. I administer exchange servers and windows... trying to get the Linux part sorted out.... I do not want to bug tem with my questions since I am on vacation and this is not really for work, the linux admins would wonder if I am getting in their field.

Thank you all for your help...... I got the server up and running with YUM, apache, mysql, and php all through YUM through SSH.
    I really like SSH, I just needed to get more comfortable with it, which I beleive I am now getting to.
    The one thing I would like to ask, is that I would like to be able to surf the net with the VPS, I would need some type of browser.... what are your thoughts on that, what would I need to do?

Thank you all for your help...... I got the server up and running with YUM, apache, mysql, and php all through YUM through SSH.
    I really like SSH, I just needed to get more comfortable with it, which I beleive I am now getting to.
    The one thing I would like to ask, is that I would like to be able to surf the net with the VPS, I would need some type of browser.... what are your thoughts on that, what would I need to do?
    Easy:

yum -y install firefox

After you do that, when you press the browser button on KDE it will pop open firefox. ofcourse, it could take some time to start firefox, depending on your VPS config.

-Sean

For what purpose? You can donwload files on the VPS by using wget or lynx. If you are trying to get around a firewall, you can setup a proxy server like Squid.
    Eric Spaeth

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco
    For what purpose? You can donwload files on the VPS by using wget or lynx. If you are trying to get around a firewall, you can setup a proxy server like Squid.
    Client requirement.

So is it best to go with KDE and firefox or something else.... the client wants to be able to surf the net (web app to upload files to a financial server from the VPS and it has to be done interactively)