Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intellodesk

Intellodesk

Hi everyone

A fairly disturbing issue - recently I have been trying to make a few dollars (I emphasize a few and not thousands) on the side by buying and selling good domains. I bought intellochat.com in the hope of selling that when Intellodesk's new chat program comes out, which they've already announced will be called Intellochat.

I contacted them earlier today to ask if they'd like the domain for a small price. I didn't actually say a price but I wasn't thinking high and reading my email it didn't sound like I did. They emailed back saying they didn't want it - fair enough, I'll sell it to someone else or keep it parked and make some money out of the traffic it gets over the next few months.

A few minutes later my Intellodesk PRO license which I rely on 95% for support (sure there is an email address but few people use it) was suspended for the 2nd time. First time was an "accident" which LicensePal (good guys) corrected for me though this time they insisted it was different and that I must contact IntelloDesk directly - I can only guess it's about the domain but I can't be sure.

Given that support with them is extremely slow it may now take a few days to get an answer and it might involve giving them this domain. I bought this license from a reseller and read the ToS. I also read the ToS today and there's nothing about this sort of thing or letting them suspend accounts for no reason - as there shouldn't be!

This is my 4th license related problem with Intellodesk with 2 being suspensions and this one might take longer. I was looking at helpdesk alternatives and found Auracle which looks better and given I paid $50 for my Intello license I would be entitled to a $75 owned license which is pretty affordable - it also includes a live help system which I've been wanting recently but couldn't see why they were all so damn expensive.

I don't have a particularly large customer base and support tickets are generally not that frequent, I'm just a little worried now as we installed and replaced a lot of things on our server just yesterday (x2 skin with RVSkin and Installatron with Fantastico) that people might well need help as a few people already have. I also have a 2 new signups I can't give helpdesk logins to .

Finally, I liked Intellodesk! The theme is nice and simple and the script isn't overcomplicated but still have 99% of what I need. I'd prefer to stick with it but just need the reliability. I also hear that the lead developer was banned from WHT. He says it was due to corrupt mods but I'm wondering if it's anything due to another complaint like this one, or possibly several?

Any ideas for what to do for support now?
    Perhaps if they don't unsuspend the license I should go for legal action?
    Last edited by jhadley; 11-28-2006 at 08:14 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Hmm, I read their TOS:

Licenses may also be terminated and/or suspended, if the licensee/user abuses the avidInteractive staff, makes damaging false claims or statements against avidInteractive, or causes monitary loss due to false claims or statements in regards to avidInteractive. Licenses that are suspended may not be transferred, sold or otherwise modified until such time that avidInteractive un-suspends the license(s) in question.
    This is just a long shot, but perhaps they consider you buying a domain for a service they are building, then trying to sell it to them for an inflated price as "monitary loss".
      0 Not allowed!

The guy didn't even want the domain, he didn't want to know how much it was and simply stated he had no use for it whatsoever. If I turned around and said this domain is for sale for $1000 maybe that would constitute financial loss but I was going for about $50 and didn't get to the point where I'd need to even negotiate a price.

Also:
    causes monitary loss due to false claims or statements in regards to avidInteractive.
    There's nothing false here.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not expert, but I don't think they have violated their TOS by suspending your account. I have never dealt with Intellodesk, but perhaps they are either:

1) Doing this to spite you

or

2) They actually have a genuine reason for suspending your account, and it is just sheer coinsidence that it happened after you bought that domain.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, I was considering both of those. My experience is a lot of companies would rather cause you grave difficulty and get you to contact them instead of dropping you an email.

1) They are violating their terms (legal action?)

2) Possible, I am still awaiting a response though. It can't be due to billing as it's an owned license. I don't know what else it could be
      0 Not allowed!

I'd suggest going with Auracle as long as it has all the features you need.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by carlgm
    I'd suggest going with Auracle as long as it has all the features you need.
    Thanks! Any reason is particular?
      0 Not allowed!

Official Response from AvidInteractive :

"As stated to other concerned customers and resellers of our's...this customer not only approached us to buy this domain, which is in direct violation of ICANN's UDRP paragraph 4(b)(i), but he also stated that if we did not purchase now, it would be made available to the open market.

This customer openly just registered this domain yesterday (as you can check in whois), for the intent of selling it to us, or selling it to the public based on the possible future popularity of our product.

While we do not need the domain personally, we're left with the option of buying it, or having it sold to the public. This can have devastating effects to avidInteractive should it end up in the wrong hands. This is why the customer was suspended, and this is why we contacted eNom, NameCheap, and ICANN in regards to the issue."

The email by James (VT6) sent to Avid , is as follows:

"Dear Mark Klink,

With your current development of IntelloChat perhaps you'd be interested in purchasing the domain intellochat.com?

This domain is currently registered to me and parked. If you are interested please suggest and price and we will go from there.

The domain is valid for another year and can be pushed to your NameCheap account for free. I accept payment via PayPal.

This is an opportunity to get the domain before it is listed for sale on the open market in a few days.

Sincerely,
    James"

UPDATE: The license will be unsuspended, once the domain issue has been resolved, between VT6 and avidInteractive, or by ICANN (which may take longer)
    Last edited by Lpal-Patrick; 11-28-2006 at 09:31 PM.
    LicensePal.com
      0 Not allowed!

Hello, the above is accurate. Why on earth they decided to suspend the license and not even contact me, and also why they're not responding to my emails is beyond me. I am also a little concerned with any company which would openly disclose private contact between me and them.

As far as I was concerned this domain was worth something and I didn't understand why for the sake of $8 they didn't go and register it themselves and further why they suspended my license for something which had absolutely nothing to do with the license.

If I didn't register the domain someone else would have - they probably wouldn't have at this late time in the product's development, especially since they stated that they don't need it.

I will proceed to contact Mark once more regarding this and otherwise will just proceed to get Auracle. It sounds like they don't want to speak to me or get their domain back they just want to give me a hard time.
      0 Not allowed!

That looks like private info, Cifra-Patrick. If this is indeed now a legal matter, you're not helping either party by displaying private communications without their permission.

I think this dispute is best resolved in private,

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.
      0 Not allowed!

Mark gave me this information because he is my customer. This customer contacted Mark personally, outside of any privacy policy, to Mark's personal email address. Had he contacted Mark using his business address, his email would have remained private.
    LicensePal.com
      0 Not allowed!

I proceeded to contact Mark again in the hope of getting a reply and solving this.

Although it may not be illegal to share the above email I believe communication is best kept in private, though I am still very willing to read any opinions and past experiences with this kind of thing.

Will keep this thread updated with the progress
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by daniel_grant
    This is just a long shot, but perhaps they consider you buying a domain for a service they are building, then trying to sell it to them for an inflated price as "monitary loss".
    Of course it is monetary loss and is damaging to a business.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT6
    The guy didn't even want the domain, he didn't want to know how much it was and simply stated he had no use for it whatsoever. If I turned around and said this domain is for sale for $1000 maybe that would constitute financial loss but I was going for about $50 and didn't get to the point where I'd need to even negotiate a price.
    Why should AI even negotiate with someone who extorts? You said yourself you purchased the domain and wanted to sell it to them. Sounds like cyber-squatting to me.
    A fairly disturbing issue - recently I have been trying to make a few dollars (I emphasize a few and not thousands) on the side by buying and selling good domains. I bought intellochat.com in the hope of selling that when Intellodesk's new chat program comes out, which they've already announced will be called Intellochat.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?
      0 Not allowed!

This thread is out of date a little, allow me to post the updates.

AI don't seem to want the domain, even for free
    Nonetheless they don't want me to have it
    AI don't want me to have the helpesk I paid for
    AI is unwilling to talk though willing to make threats
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not really sure why anyone hasn't really picked up on this...

EDIT: Damn you Artashes

I contacted them earlier today to ask if they'd like the domain for a small price. I didn't actually say a price but I wasn't thinking high and reading my email it didn't sound like I did. They emailed back saying they didn't want it - fair enough, I'll sell it to someone else or keep it parked and make some money out of the traffic it gets over the next few months.
    As Cifra-Patrick posts quote mentioned, this goes against ICANN's UDRP paragraph 4(b)(i):

b. Evidence of Registration and Use in Bad Faith. For the purposes of Paragraph 4(a)(iii), the following circumstances, in particular but without limitation, if found by the Panel to be present, shall be evidence of the registration and use of a domain name in bad faith:

(i) circumstances indicating that you have registered or you have acquired the domain name primarily for the purpose of selling, renting, or otherwise transferring the domain name registration to the complainant who is the owner of the trademark or service mark or to a competitor of that complainant, for valuable consideration in excess of your documented out-of-pocket costs directly related to the domain name; or

http://www.icann.org/udrp/udrp-policy-24oct99.htm
    Maybe before you start complaining about Intellodesks 'legal standpoint' on their EULA, you should look at the 'legal standpoint' surrounding your latest "business venture"?
    Last edited by tickedon; 11-29-2006 at 04:34 PM.
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon
    I'm not really sure why anyone hasn't really picked up on this...

EDIT: Damn you Artashes
    We were both typing at the same time I guess. I will go away now not to cause further emotional instability.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?
      0 Not allowed!

Whoa whoa whoa can you please explain a little further? I don't understand it.
    Last edited by tickedon; 11-29-2006 at 04:55 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

AvidInteractive announce IntelloChat (they produce IntelloDesk, a helpdesk system, at the moment)

VT6 goes and registers intellochat.com

VT6 emails Mark (from AvidInteractive) asking if he'd like to buy the domain name intellochat.com

VT6's IntelloDesk license is suspended

VT6 comes to WHT to post on this saying his new business idea is buying up domains and selling them on to people who'd likely want them. And also asking why his license is suspended.

Multiple people comment on said issue
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.
      0 Not allowed!

It it very lucky I have Jason (2nd dev for AI) on MSN and was able to talk to him and finally reach an acceptable conclusion. I was literally a few clicks away from buying PerlDesk or Auracle.

I gave them the domain and they gave me my license back (despite Mark seeming reluctant to do this originally).

I should also point out, as I said this was a new idea of mine to sell domains and I have very little experience with this (this is the only one which is a brand name). I have somehow never seen that license agreement before, but have learned something from this - despite it costing me 1 customer, cash and a lot of grief.

This issue should be considered finished
      0 Not allowed!

I gave them the domain and they gave me my license back (despite Mark seeming reluctant to do this originally).
    I wouldn't have given you the time of day. I'd have just suspended the license permanently and filed proceedings against you.

Quote Originally Posted by VT6's Profile
    Date of Birth:
    August 2nd, 1991
    Looks like another case of a corrupt kiddie

EDIT: Maybe AvidInteractive should call his mommy and daddy to explain how their child is an online extortionist
    Big things coming soon
      0 Not allowed!

Nice to know we're all equal on this board, and that nobody is prejudice.

As I said I have resolved this issue and no futher comments are required.
      0 Not allowed!

Nice to know we're all equal on this board, and that nobody is prejudice.
    You openly admitted that you intentionally purchased the domain intellochat.com because you KNEW that they were releasing a product by the name and had intentions to extort them for money to prevent you from releasing the domain to the public market.

And yet...you still don't see that you are wrong?

BTW, I'm only 17 myself. I never said just another kiddie, I said corrupt kiddie. Get it right.
    Big things coming soon
      0 Not allowed!

Yes I saw I was wrong and have since corrected my mistake. Since this issued is solved (maybe you'll read it this time) your comments won't change things one way or the other. I hope this clears things up!

To the edited part of your post: I would not consider myself corrupt - I was MISTAKEN. I did not have a malicious intent and was only too happy to give them the domain freely upon reading ICANN's policies on the matter.
    Last edited by jhadley; 11-29-2006 at 05:21 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I guess you could compare it to buying gig tickets when they are released, then selling them for inflated prices on eBay, and complaining when the event company takes away your ticket.

I highly highly disagree with extorting people, by buying something they genuinely need and trying to sell it to them for inflated prices.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes I saw I was wrong and have since corrected my mistake. Since this issued is solved (maybe you'll read it this time) your comments won't change things one way or the other. I hope this clears things up!
    No, you said this issue is resolved. That doesn't mean I'm not done wondering why you extorted money out of someone and whined when they did something about it that cost you money and frustration. And yet, you were trying to cost them money, and I'm sure caused them frustration.
    Big things coming soon
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast