Web Hosting Company Employees - PR Questions

Say you wanted to hire some staff members for your company.

Not outsource the support (well technically yes) but rather hire a random person to talk on live chat, answer phone calls, setup accounts (you know, standard stuff) during your company hours.

What is the average monthly wage a support rep (live chat + phone), or tech would make at a small to medium sized hosting company?

Also, what is the most preferred way to run a business when you need to trust others to do work for you? Hire manually or outsource support at some of the sites listed throughout the forum?

I think I would personally like to hire people, but it seems like there are a lot more strings attached.

Any words of wisdom from you larger guys?

-Sam
    HostingChoice Web Hosting and Consulting Services
    Host unlimited Domains, MySQL Databases, E-mail Addresses, and FTP Accounts.

Visit us today - http://www.hostingchoice.net

As far as I know you got a few things like.

- More expensive
    - Contracts

And a few more things I just can't think of right now. And with Outsourced Support you just got to worry about them getting their job done correctly and paying.

BobCares does a great job with supporting clients. We used them, they're rather inexpensive .
    Stephen Preissler
    Modern Advisors - A Certified Plesk Billing Reseller

We offer Plesk Billing Licenses, Configuration, Migrations, Consultation & Customization

If you have an office, its a lot better to have the person train with your staff locally, then telecommute from home. This would, of course, require you to hirer within the local market but it'd insure that quality is on par with your company's expectations. As for specific salary, that's incumbant upon a number of factors, including the individual's experiences, past salary, and cost of living.

You can get some good techs @ $1000-$1500 USD/month, but make sure that they are experienced and have good knowledge about the things they are doing, a technical interview would be fine before taking the decison

$1000 - $1500/mo in the US? No way. At least you can't attach the word "good tech" with that salary.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Quote Originally Posted by Yash-JH
    $1000 - $1500/mo in the US? No way. At least you can't attach the word "good tech" with that salary.
    i dont think he meant in the US. of course you cannnt get that in the US

and i agree you can cana good tech $1000-$1500 USD/month, but difficult part is to find somebody dependable and trustworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by GELucas
    As far as I know you got a few things like.

- More expensive
    - Contracts

And a few more things I just can't think of right now. And with Outsourced Support you just got to worry about them getting their job done correctly and paying.
    - Benefits
    - Taxes
    - Insurance

Speak to your lawyer first.

When I worked in tech support, I was hired at $10/hr. I moved up to $14 or so as the highest level tech. Techs WILL move constantly if they have the chance unless they're paid well and given a cool place to work.

If you're starting out, outsourcing (US or anywhere) is definitely the best option.

Minimum wage is $7.50 in Washington, so if they work 8 hour days, 7 days a week it would cost $1680 a month for the raw salary at minimum wage.

However, if they are full time, you will have to provide them at least a basic benefits package.

I think $2000 would be the bare minimum you could pay a dedicated support worker, and even then the possibility of him or her bailing at a better job is very high.

Here's the cost for barely scraping by:

Pay him the Federal minimum wage for the maximum time allowed to be considered part-time. Then pay him under the table and don't pay benefit or taxes.
    $5.15/hr * 39 hrs/wk + $0 benefits + $0 taxes = $200.85/wk

I don't think you are going to find any responsible, educated people willing to work for minimum wage. Depending on your local market, you will probably be paying anywhere from $12 - $18/hr for competent technical support people (I am not talking about system engineers or tier 3 support). On top of this, you will have to get workers comp insurance and also pay FICA taxes which is 7.65% of their gross wages. Many states also require unemployment taxes, but this varies greatly between states, but it could be another 2-3% on the first $10-$20K you pay someone, per year. At the low end of the spectrum, you are talking about $27-28K/yr all in.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

The basic figure in management for a full time employee is "wages monthly * 1.30 = total monthly cost".

Now, to not be in a position to worry about benefits you can't have an employee work over 35 hours per week. 36 Hours and above is considered Full-Time.

Essentially you can hire employees, but as stated above they are expensive.

I agree that outsourcing the support is most likely the best course of action when you are just starting out. Thanks for your input everybody, I have a much better position and view of PR now
    HostingChoice Web Hosting and Consulting Services
    Host unlimited Domains, MySQL Databases, E-mail Addresses, and FTP Accounts.

Visit us today - http://www.hostingchoice.net

PR = Public Relations (Advertising, Marketing, Press Releases, Communication with Customers)
    HR = Human Relations (Hiring, Firing, Benefits, Payroll, etc)
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds
    PR = Public Relations (Advertising, Marketing, Press Releases, Communication with Customers)
    HR = Human Relations (Hiring, Firing, Benefits, Payroll, etc)
    It's all the same if you ask me I think they work hand in hand in this industry at least.
    @mariorodriguez
    Director of Business Development
    Monarx.com
    https://www.monarx.com/about-us

Depends on what state you live in. When I lived in WA I worked 37.5 hours and still was part time. In MT I believe it is the full 40 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by XSI-Larry
    The basic figure in management for a full time employee is "wages monthly * 1.30 = total monthly cost".

Now, to not be in a position to worry about benefits you can't have an employee work over 35 hours per week. 36 Hours and above is considered Full-Time.

Essentially you can hire employees, but as stated above they are expensive.
    I am back....

Quote Originally Posted by XSI-Larry

I have to step in as I believe this is a bad formula for people to use. The *actual* total cost of a full time employee is more like 2 X their full time wage.

For your employee, think about:

- Phone
    - Computer
    - Desk
    - Power usage
    - Square footage this employee will take (this can be pretty expensive)
    - Benefits & taxes
    - Oh and the time that your employee will waste his time (such as sleeping on the job, surfing, bathroom, cofee run, etc)
    - Plans on taking out your employee and paying a couple pichers of beers once a while? cost $$$

This is why I am more leaning torwards the 2 X the employee salary. Afterall, the employee that makes more money tends to receive better hardware and overall better benefits when it comes to perks.
    Pierre Grandmaison
    Offering 24/7 Toll Free Telephone Support
    Zenutech Web Hosting
    http://www.zenutech.com

VoIP Phone: $250, amortized over 2 yrs ($10.41/mo)
    Excellent Computer System: $2000, amortized over 2 yrs ( $83.33/mo)
    Desk/Cubical: $1000, amortized over 5 years ($16.67/mo)
    Power: Included in your lease
    Space: 64 ft @ $2/ft/mo ($128/mo)
    Taxes: 7.65% + unemployment taxes $200 - $400/mo
    Benefits: Really, at your discretion. As little as $100/mo, as much as $1000/mo.

2X is really quite extreme ...

I've been in management for both a large and a small corporation. Neither time did costs ever get to 2x the employees wages. If I remember correctly from the small corporation we only had one employee go over 1.3 to 1.35 and that was because he maxed his sick days.

As for variations by state, I believe the "Full-Time" hours is now under Federal Regulation, not state regulation.