VPS backup or snapshot

Hi,

I saw lots of vps providers these days. From their offers, I don't see the option of backup/snapshot that Virtuozzo should come by defualt?
    Is that option gone because of cost-down, or its there just no one to mention that feature?
    By this backup/snapshot, admin can create the full server backup anytime by himself. Of cos, another off-site backup will add more protection.
    Any inputs are welcome.

i would imagain that they dont offer this as prices would rocket up to what deals they do it is always good to have a backup and would be a really good selling feature dont understand why some dont try this offer

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonT
    Hi,

I saw lots of vps providers these days. From their offers, I don't see the option of backup/snapshot that Virtuozzo should come by defualt?
    Is that option gone because of cost-down, or its there just no one to mention that feature?
    By this backup/snapshot, admin can create the full server backup anytime by himself. Of cos, another off-site backup will add more protection.
    Any inputs are welcome.
    I don't know about other hosts, but we don't perform backups ourselves, we leave that up to the customer. They have the ability to create a snapshot of their VPS via their VZ PowerPanel, and although they can make as many snapshots as they want, they can only keep one at a time. The only thing we ask of our customers is that they restrict the times at which they do the backup, to late night hours, so it doesn't slow the entire node down and cause QoS issues for others. And for most VPS customers, a simple Plesk client or domain backup is more than sufficient, and thats a backup file they can actually download to their PC, versus an entire VPS snapshot. Reloading an OS and slapping Plesk on takes us no more than an hour, and then restoring from a Plesk backup file takes less than 10 minutes. This process is way faster than restoring from a snapshot.

Besides that, with technology and drives as they are today, the chances of running into complete dataloss on a properly configured RAID-10 array is very very little. Note I am not saying its impossible, just improbable.

Also, note that Virtuozzo on Linux actually stores the VPS file system as an actual file system, not a silly single 10GB or 20GB file as is the case with Virtuozzo Windows VPS's, so even if lets say your /etc/php.ini file gets corrupt due to whatever reason (once again, highly improbable but not impossible), your entire VPS file system is not hosed, just that single replaceable file. Since Virtuozzo for Linux stores your VPS file system as part of the regular node FS, your covered by whatever data array that your sitting on. Dataloss is more likely on Virtuozzo for Windows, no matter what RAID array the root.efd (your C: drive) sits on, because, its just one file and if a few bytes get corrupt, your entire C: drive is ruined.

-Sean