Thread: Colo quotes

Colo quotes

Hi all,

Can someone give me some advice regarding costing please? I have asked approx 10 colo hosting companies to provide me with a quote on the below spec:
    A 1U Colo server with 1Mbps line bandwidth

I've received numerous quotes back, all seemingly valid but the prices differ VASTLY!

For example:

From I get this quote:
    Type 1-2 U or Mid-Tower
    IP's 8*
    SLA 100%
    Premium Bandwidth 100 gb
    Transfer Rate 100 mbps
    Instant Reboot Yes
    Setup $0
    Monthly $59

From I get this quote:
    $52.95/month: 1U of space and 1 Mbps of bandwidth

From I get this quote:
    1U colo with 1mbps at $99 / month

And from I get this quote:
    1Mbps $250.00/month

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong, because surely there can't be 5 times the price difference for the same spec colo hosting? Would it matter what tier they're connecting to?

Can anyone help with the kind of questions I should be asking?

Many thanks in advance of your help!

Atlanta, GA
    It can vary that much on the smaller commitments of Bandwidth and Space, the issue is that a lot of the companies do not like to have just a single server collocated with them. You have a lot of overhead in quoting account managment etc that you have to deal with for just one customer.
    Linn Boyd

A lot of items go into what a company quotes. Just to name a few:
    - Facility they are in and how much they pay per cab/rack (for power and space)
    - Bandwidth providers they use and how much they pay per meg
    - Types of support they offer/or don't
    - What type of server you are colocating (1U or tower)

So its no surprise the varying quotes. What I would ask myself first is: how critical is this box im locating and am I willing to pay a good price if it is. From there, how much BW do you need/or can live with, what location of the world is the colo in, and what type of hands support ($$ and 24x7) do they have. Then you can narrow down some of the quotes.

Good luck.

Many providers specialize in 1U and 1Mbps. Some prefer to stay away from those opts. It all varies depending on the provider...... - colocation, dedicated and cloud quotes