Restarting Server On Regular Besis

Hi everybody,

I was reading few day ago, that it is recommended to restart Linux servers on a regular basis, once a month, something like that. What do you think about this?

Thank you,

There is no such rule. It depends on what application you run on the server. Few of my servers have 100+ day uptime, mainly because sites do not crash the server, some server always need a reboot because of the scripts/sites hosted on the server.

For windows server, i used to reboot daily, for windows 2000, i do it two times a day with sheduled task.

Yeah, there is no rule for a reboot period or something like that. Also, you can boast about the uptime if you dont reboot the server for a long time

anyway, its good to reboot the server that will fresh up the memory and scan if there is any harddisk errors etc
    Senior Server Administrator

A properly set up and configured server should never need a reboot unless you made changes to core components which require a restart, like installing system patches. This applies to Windows, Solaris, BSD and all other Unix based systems. - Is your site up?
    Multi-Location Service Availability Check ● the only with support for HTTPS & IDN