Using my own DNS with a leased VPS

I'm a web designer and I would like to use a vps to host my clients sites.

I want to host two sites on a single large VPS with an IP for *each* site.

The VPS I wan to use is leased from another hosting company and therefore I would have to point the clients domain names to this companies nameservers.

I would like to avoid this and use my own name server instead.

I have permission form my hosting company to resell their VPS but they will not help with the domain issue.

Is it possible (or even recommended) to setup my own DNS server and have the client point their domain address at my DNS server so that I don't have to reveal the name of my hosting company.

I'm a hosting begnner.

Thanks.

look into outsourced dns if you don't want to use the hosting company's nameservers.

http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/

http://zoneedit.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cws_mm
    I have permission form my hosting company to resell their VPS but they will not help with the domain issue.
    Is this an unmanaged VPS without a control panel?

Is it possible (or even recommended) to setup my own DNS server and have the client point their domain address at my DNS server so that I don't have to reveal the name of my hosting company.
    Yes (possible and recommended). Mainly because if you use your own nameservers you can change supplier without changing the clients' dns settings.

I'm a hosting begnner.
    Have you thought about starting with a reseller account? This would have the advantage that everything is managed for you. You can still get a dedicated IP for each client and use your own nameservers (really the server's shared nameservers but using your own domain name).

HTH
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

This is an unmanaged VPS but the host is smaller and does a lot for you if you ask.

There is Webmin control panel.

I did not know you can have a reseller VPS account. Do you know of any company that will sell me a VPS that I can resell to another client or do all VPS host offer this?

I am need Xen VPS reseller accounts.

The host I currently use is very good and offers a 10% reduction for multiple accounts.

Thanks.
    Last edited by cws_mm; 11-28-2006 at 07:14 AM.

Hi!
    The only problem I see is using a IP for each site really falls outside of ARIN rules for IP use. You may be able to get by with two sites...but not more than that.

You also may have a problem getting additional IPs when you need them as well.

If each site had a SSL cert...there would be no question at all..however..for just hosting? Might be trouble.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

True that, but ssl certs are so cheap these days...

cws_mm - I meant a regular reseller account, not a VPS. If you get an unmanaged VPS you will need to either learn to manage it yourself or pay for management, whereas with a reseller account you can let the host manage the server while you concentrate on looking after your clients.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

When you say 'reseller account', do you mean a on a shared host?

This is a virtual hosting environment?

Yes. Typically a virtual hosting environment where you have the ability to set up and manage sub-accounts for your clients.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reseller_web_hosting
    Chris

I need a vps because of the nature of the application I am hosting. It is really application hosting.
    Thanks.

i've hosted my own nameserver using a Windows 2003 VPS before, it's actually quite easy to set up even using the windows configuration wizard.

linux can do it too but no idea how to do it.