Newbie question: What do I need for dynamic content?

I'm looking to start a simple Web site that requires that content be re-ordered according to user-defined parameters. For example, the user will be able to choose to view content based on parameter X or re-sort and view based on parameter Y, and so on.

My questions are these:

1. Is this what qualifies as "dynamic content"?

2. Does having this kind of functionality require that the site be built in something other then vanilla HTML? Will it have to be ASP, PHP, etc.?

3. Does whatever hosting package I choose have to come with something like mySQL (that is, some kind of database functionality) to allow me to present information as I've described?

Hellmask-

Dynamic pages are usually created with a database involved, most of the time anyway.

Yes, definatly more than just HTML, unless you are using SSI.

PHP w/ MySQL, or ASP w/ MS SQL, even Perl.

These will all allow you to create dynamic websites.

Generally speaking, this would have to be done with a database program. Mind you, if you're really creative and everything would fit into one table, then you could get away with putting it in a comma-delimited or tab-delimited ASCII text file. (Loads of fun to read too!)

In most cases, however, this isn't smart. You would need some form of database functionality to get what you want to consistently, quickly, and most importantly easily work. So yes, you'd need a hosting package with database access included.
    Is Canada the best? Noo Doot Aboot It!
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley

What about doing this in CGI? Would that still require database functionality from the host? Or is it even doable in CGI in the first place?

You'll need some sort of server side scripting (PHP, ASP, Perl). A database (eg. mySQL) is recommended but not necessary. Take a look at Hotscripts. There are a number of PHP scripts under "content management" and "portals" that could probably do what you want. Most use mySQL, but there are also some that use text files or other methods for holding your content.

Originally posted by HellMask
    What about doing this in CGI? Would that still require database functionality from the host? Or is it even doable in CGI in the first place?
    You don't need database functionality to do it in any language, be it PHP, Perl, ASP, etc, but having a real database sure is a lot more efficient than using a delimited text database.
    Jay » [email protected] • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

Thanks a lot! That site is slow as hell though. Won't let me access any of the sub-menus at the moment. Maybe they need better hosting ... LOL!

Originally posted by Abu Mami
    You'll need some sort of server side scripting (PHP, ASP, Perl). A database (eg. mySQL) is recommended but not necessary. Take a look at Hotscripts. There are a number of PHP scripts under "content management" and "portals" that could probably do what you want. Most use mySQL, but there are also some that use text files or other methods for holding your content.