Post Upgrading from shared reseller to VPS. What CP?

Hi all,

I have had a reseller account, with a Hsphere CP for > 2years, and have had no problems at all with the setup. I am able to manage my own domains, and also assign CP's to clients.

I feel like I would like to move up to the next level now....
    I was wondering, if anyone could recommend what else I need to have within my VPS account, to ensure that I can give clients their own CP.
    If anyone has experience of any Control Panels within a VPS, any recommendations?
    Is it possible to get a VPS account with billing software built in, or is it possioble to find an economical solution?

Thanks,
    Av

ps. I am hoping to find a VPS in UK or Europe, as I am hoping for faster access times? Initially only looking at hosting a handful of domains, and then hoping to build my business up.

I've used H-Sphere as well as cPanel. I like cPanel more. Frankly, I've been searching for VPS providers for quite a few days now but, never encountered one with H-Sphere.

I guess any CP is not much different whether inside a VPS or not, except that you may have more rights/features.

PowerVps.com bundles ClientExec for free with their VPS plans.

Cpanel Or Plesk?

Changing H-Sphere by a most universal control panel is your chance to obtain real freedom in your web hosting business. If your next level from reseller is VPS or dedicated you have to choose between cPanel and Plesk (the leaders) and DirectAdmin, Ensim, Webmin and more. But these control panel are only an interface to turn easy a server accounts administration and more. If you really know what you are doing the best control panel is the command line...Per example: if you are using a Plesk for 10 domains only you can start a Linux shell and setup 100 domains or 1,000 domains hosted in your server. Obviously, only 10 will have control panel. Well, control panel is essential for your customers...The great advantage of control panels really improved is provide you the ability to migrate easy and quickly from one server to another preserving all setups in all accounts. On this issue I strongly recommend Plesk because it is the best in show in migration, but note that Plesk 7.5.1 Reloaded cannot migrate data from the new Plesk 8.0.1...Plesk Migration Manager migrates fine from cPanel reseller account (if your reseller hosting gives you a sudo...) and all setup will be migrated fine, including all email accounts, forums and more! But cPanel at this time cannot migrate accounts from Plesk 7.5.4. and 8.0.1. yet, only from old Plesk versions as releases 6x. A new cPanel capable to migrate from recente Plesk releases is in development and coming soon. SWSoft found some bugs in it's new 8.0.1, fixed all of them and a new Plesk relase will be out at the next December.

We recently migrate a lot of gigas from Washington to Texas at 252kbps in media using Plesk 8.0.1. and migrated fine from Houston to Dallas between 512/650kbps in media without only one error!! We are specialized in host for VIP and intellectuals and we own various VPS and dedicated around the world; constantly we are migrating fine and we migrate using Plesk only. With Plesk you will be free for migrations but you will be a Plesk sale for life...

Cpanel is a nice control panel but it has frequent problems when you update it, all kinds of things seem to break every update, even using the stable or release versions. My advice is to keep updates to a minimum if possible. As a server admin I would want cPanel, but the panel is not for you but for your clients, they need an easy to use interface, Plesk has been able to provide such interface and the main reason many hosts end up using it, another reason is that you would like to have a panel for both Windows and Linux/Unix servers, Plesk allows you to manage many servers at same time, to me Plesk is the way to go.

Personally I prefer Plesk over cPanel simply because of the software version(s) of apache/mysql/php and the lower resource intensive nature.I'm not sure how Plesk is for buggy updates for their software, I'd really like to get a Plesk box and see how it performs. I've used both with different companies I manage - I'd recommend Plesk definItely. cPanel is more idiot-friendly (if you don't have some of those yet, you'll get some ) but Plesk is a much, much more stable platform. If you want to 'sell' hosting, cPanel is your best bet due to the features. Plesk is less resource intensive, more secure (better, up to date software) - and generally 'simpler' for the basic things, but cPanel wins with more features and simpler access to all those extra features that web hosting providers usualy need for their clients. Note: Is It Possible To Run Plesk & cPanel on the same server. I would like to have both on the same server or will there be problems. Im not trying to have the same accounts under each but let customers choose at sign up which, control panel they would like. cPanel and Plesk operate on different ports already. I think it should be ok but, I would hate to have to reinstall a server with a bunch of clients on it.
    The-REV, OS/2 Guru
    http://macarloshark.com/
    Trusted Since 1997
    Blog: http://my.opera.com/The-REV/blog/

I used Cpanel for over a year, but finally decided to change to Directadmin. I am in the process of getting my accounts converted with the help of iFastHosting.com a very fast and reliable hosting company. Their VPSes are located in the SoftLayer Datacenter, and so far the support has been superior. Ron, the owner, is a very nice guy and works hard to get things done. You won't regret it, they are currently running Free Directadmin deals with their VPSes so check out their post in the VPS Offers for more plan details. Another one to check out would be FutureHosting, and SLHost. If you look around the vps offers forum you will find alot of good deals.
    DamonF
    Zertex Designs coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey this way!
    I've used H-Sphere as well as cPanel. I like cPanel more. Frankly, I've been searching for VPS providers for quite a few days now but, never encountered one with H-Sphere.
    You might look at jodohost.com. I think you have a VPS with their H-sphere reseller plans, and it's both Linux/Windows. I hear good things but haven't used them myself.

I don't know about their VPS but, their shared Windows as well as Linux boxes are great. Well managed, good support and good speed.

However, their VPS are not Virtuozzo powered. I think some different tech.

* I Have a trial VPS, in Europe. (Plesk)

Hi all,

I have taken a trial VPS, Ram 384MB burst to 768MB, Disk 15GB, Traffic 300GB, OS is RHE4.

Now I have to read the manuals, as its not as intuitive as the hsphere i have been used to?

Will probably have to read about making the most of my VPS, and how can i tell if its any good or not?

Regards,
    Av

And also take attention to your server security

Quote Originally Posted by Nafadya
    And also take attention to your server security
    I've found that Plesk is much more secure AND stable than cPanel, especially when it comes to exploits or other script kiddie attacks. And yes, the migration factor is a big plus when choosing Plesk.

Also, I do belive the resources consumed by Plesk are much less than cPanel.

-Sean

Quote Originally Posted by seankoons
    I've found that Plesk is much more secure AND stable than cPanel, especially when it comes to exploits or other script kiddie attacks. And yes, the migration factor is a big plus when choosing Plesk.

Also, I do belive the resources consumed by Plesk are much less than cPanel.

-Sean
    Gr8.

I was waiting for such an answer. How difficult is transferring accounts from a cPanel server to a Plesk?

Gr8.

I was waiting for such an answer. How difficult is transferring accounts from a cPanel server to a Plesk?
    How difficult? Well, you go to Plesk->Server->MigrationManager, put in the IP address and root password of your cPanel/Helm/Whatever server, click next, select whether you want to selectively migrate objects (clients/domains) or the whole shebang, click next, wait for it to finish, and click next.

Oh, and even if you lose your connection to the Plesk interface, its ok, once you click the start button, its all backgrounded.

Not bad, right?

-Sean

How difficult? Well, you go to Plesk->Server->MigrationManager, put in the IP address and root password of your cPanel/Helm/Whatever server, click next, select whether you want to selectively migrate objects (clients/domains) or the whole shebang, click next, wait for it to finish, and click next.

Oh, and even if you lose your connection to the Plesk interface, its ok, once you click the start button, its all backgrounded.

Not bad, right?

-Sean
    Hey that's cool. I never knew that.

I'm currently a cPanel/WHM reseller.

Will the blogs, guestbooks along with their MySQL databases also be transferred?

Hey that's cool. I never knew that.

I'm currently a cPanel/WHM reseller.

Will the blogs, guestbooks along with their MySQL databases also be transferred?
    When you start using Plesk, and if you come from cPanel, you really start appreciating the security features and general ease of use with Plesk. From an admin's point of view it's not bad either. It's not just a pretty UI, its actually functional.

Yes, all of the blogs/databases/emails/subdomains/files get migrated over, otherwise they would just call the migration manager "Plesk FTP".

-Sean

When you start using Plesk, and if you come from cPanel, you really start appreciating the security features and general ease of use with Plesk. From an admin's point of view it's not bad either. It's not just a pretty UI, its actually functional.

Yes, all of the blogs/databases/emails/subdomains/files get migrated over, otherwise they would just call the migration manager "Plesk FTP".

-Sean
    Gr8 thanks. So, its Plesk i'll go.

cpanel n doubt !!

Quote Originally Posted by jaiweb
    Hi all,

I have had a reseller account, with a Hsphere CP for > 2years, and have had no problems at all with the setup. I am able to manage my own domains, and also assign CP's to clients.

I feel like I would like to move up to the next level now....
    I was wondering, if anyone could recommend what else I need to have within my VPS account, to ensure that I can give clients their own CP.
    If anyone has experience of any Control Panels within a VPS, any recommendations?
    Is it possible to get a VPS account with billing software built in, or is it possioble to find an economical solution?

Thanks,
    Av

ps. I am hoping to find a VPS in UK or Europe, as I am hoping for faster access times? Initially only looking at hosting a handful of domains, and then hoping to build my business up.
    If you are using HSphere currently, and your clients are comfortable with it, I recommend you move up sticking with Hsphere.

VPS isn't all that great for HSphere. I would recommend a single dedicated server and using HSphere 3.0 Single Server Edition (SSE). It is affordable and can server as a platform to expand.

CartikaHosting does managed Hsphere clusters, you may want to take a look at them. DynamicNet also provides hsphere management/support
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Quote Originally Posted by ize_linuxboy
    cpanel n doubt !!
    what do you mean?

Thanks for all your advice guys ( & gals).

I am going to use both hsphere at the 1st host, in the US, and use the VPS in europe. That way, I can always fall back on my Hsphere if i get stuck.

I might look at trying out the modernbill monthly option, i think there is a lite version too.... If that goes well, then just buy the one off license ( if i read it right).

Thanks,

Av