Thread: Colo Hosting

Colo Hosting

Hi all,

We've recently chosen a Voxeo 1U Fusion server to host our voice application. We're a UK-based company, but we need cheap VoIP rates as we'll be mostly making calls to the US.

After some investigation it looks like co-locating this server in the US is the most cost effective way of achieving this. We'll be making around 9000 calls a day, so low VOIP costs are of utmost importance. We've calculated that around 1Mbps bandwidth is what we'll require to support this.

Does anyone have a view on whether this infrastucture sounds feasible/reasonable? Also, can you recommend any good US based colo hosts? And any good/cheap VOIP providers?

Thanks very much - any help is much appreciated, I'm new to this game!

Dave

I can definately recommend Choopa.com, been with them for quite a while, no downtimes, support is pretty helpful, but they aren't the cheapest around.

I would highly recommend Host.net. They have a datacenter here in florida and after being there in person, it's an amazing center. Randy, the owner of the company is a great guy as well. Give them a call. Lenny is the head of sales, he is the best to deal with. They will give you some great rates. They also provide VOIP as well.

Matt
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

i recommend razor servers

That kind of infrastructure is definitely possible. I would recommend to colocate with a provider who has got expertise in VoIP based stuff.
    Web Hosting Blog - An exclusive blog on Web Hosting Industry and hosting related topics.

matt has experience with VoIP we talked on the phone for over an hour about setting me an account

Moved to the Colo forum.

9000 calls a day on 1 Mbps? That doesn't sound right to me, what are your calculations?

i think he means 10mbps on 95th

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    I can definately recommend Choopa.com, been with them for quite a while, no downtimes, support is pretty helpful, but they aren't the cheapest around.
    Choopa can be *very* cheap compared to most similar-service NY/NJ providers on any decent sized commitment for either space or bandwidth. You just have to talk to the right people and pull a few strings.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff
    9000 calls a day on 1 Mbps? That doesn't sound right to me, what are your calculations?
    Apologies you're right, my maths was slightly out.

The bandwidth we require is 80k/sec (bandwidth req. per call) - and we'll have 12 simultaneous calls a sec as we have 12 voice ports. This should equal slightly less than the 1Mbps bandwidth we require.

To work out the # calls -

12 (voice ports e.g. simutaneous voice calls) * 120 (seconds - call length) = 12 calls every 2 mins. 360/hour. 3600 calls a day, assuming we have a 10 hour window per day.

Hope this makes a little more sense now?

Cheers
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan23
    i think he means 10mbps on 95th
    Hi there - see my previous post for the updated calcs. Can you help sanity check these figures pls?

Cheers!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dmheiland
    Apologies you're right, my maths was slightly out.

The bandwidth we require is 80k/sec (bandwidth req. per call) - and we'll have 12 simultaneous calls a sec as we have 12 voice ports. This should equal slightly less than the 1Mbps bandwidth we require.

To work out the # calls -

12 (voice ports e.g. simutaneous voice calls) * 120 (seconds - call length) = 12 calls every 2 mins. 360/hour. 3600 calls a day, assuming we have a 10 hour window per day.

Hope this makes a little more sense now?

Cheers
    David
    Do you need 80kiloBYTES/sec or 80kiloBITS/sec. There is a huge difference. 1Mbps = 1000kiloBITS/sec. If you need 80kiloBYTES/sec, then you will need 7.7Mbps for 12 voice channels.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

If you're in the UK, have you looked at Gradwell? They know what they're doing when it comes to VoIP and could probably sort you a decent deal.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds
    Do you need 80kiloBYTES/sec or 80kiloBITS/sec. There is a huge difference. 1Mbps = 1000kiloBITS/sec. If you need 80kiloBYTES/sec, then you will need 7.7Mbps for 12 voice channels.
    That's more along the lines of what I was thinking.

There is a big difference in the bandwidth usage for the G.711 Codec, and the G.729, generally speaking most of our wholesale VoIP customers terminating into the US from abroad use G.729 due to the increased capacity and call volume for a set amount of bandwidth. The 80Kb number is for G.711, although you may be able to do 10x the call volume with G.729 in the same amount of bandwidth without a major impact on quality. Most of our customers terminating a million minutes or more are using G.711 to our gateways, but regardless, no US data center I know of sells capped bandwidth in increments of 1/MB, so you could easily start with a 1/MB commitment and gauge your usage before committing to more. If you have the option, try to pick a data center that has IP-to-TDM carriers in the same facility, as you could effectively get zero latency access to the PSTN, you’d want to avoid an Asterisk based company that was reselling someone else’s SIP termination as you’d be adding the latency between them and their underlying provider, to your already hefty transatlantic jump. You really want to keep that whole trip < 90ms if at all possible. You can do a lot with echo-cancelation, and good hardware, but nothing beats low latency connectivity, and short trips to the PSTN for High Quality VoIP.
    Premier Voice and Data Services for Discriminating Service Providers:
    Optimized Fastest-Path BGP IP | Wholesale VoIP | Mission Critical Colocation

Scratch Telecom in Mississauga Ontario: 1U with 1Mbps for $60canadian ($50 usd) on their 1U & 2U colo special

http://scratchtelecom.com/colocation.php

Thats cheap
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

Quote Originally Posted by dmheiland
    Hi all,

We've recently chosen a Voxeo 1U Fusion server to host our voice application. We're a UK-based company, but we need cheap VoIP rates as we'll be mostly making calls to the US.

After some investigation it looks like co-locating this server in the US is the most cost effective way of achieving this. We'll be making around 9000 calls a day, so low VOIP costs are of utmost importance. We've calculated that around 1Mbps bandwidth is what we'll require to support this.

Does anyone have a view on whether this infrastucture sounds feasible/reasonable? Also, can you recommend any good US based colo hosts? And any good/cheap VOIP providers?

Thanks very much - any help is much appreciated, I'm new to this game!

Dave
    You may want to make sure that the provider has voip knowledge before you host your equipment with them. The bandwidth can also get really costly for that much traffic. Unless you get Cogent bandwidth (like Scratchtelecom.com is offering)
    Last edited by hmalekib; 01-10-2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: edit
    Alex Maleki -/- 1.866.596.8401
    iTeraWeb Solutions -\- Quality cPanel, Unlimited Reseller, and A-Z VoIP Termination.
    http://www.iteraweb.com | 24x7x365 Phone/Chat Support