Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Creature which DC do you recommend? I had problems with Managed and Ev1 Servers before I joined ThePlanet and they all had problems.

Quote Originally Posted by lexington
    Creature which DC do you recommend? I had problems with Managed and Ev1 Servers before I joined ThePlanet and they all had problems.
    Go to a datacenter that doesn't require a bunch of local loops like Ev1/ThePlanet/Liquidweb/etc. Find a provider in a carrier-neutral facility such as Equinix or Switch & Data.
    Alexander McMillen
    President and CEO - Sliqua Enterprise Hosting, Inc. - AS32740
    Serving up scale and service since 2002. Is your mission critical?
    1-877-4-SLIQUA - http://www.sliqua.com - http://www.isyourmissioncritical.com

Great piece of advice there from sliqua. Those who don't know already EV1 and The Planet are now the same trash *ss operation.

Piece of advice for you.. go elsewhere. If you stay with planet and grow at all this WILL become an every month ordeal.
    Huh... interesting. So am I just an outlier? 40+ months in a row this has NOT been a monthly ordeal for me. And no, it's not just one server all that time. Oh well...
    Pings <1 ms, Unlimited Transfer, Lowest Price: http://localhost/

I have the same problem and fortunately my "major" box at softlayer has (almost) no problem. There is a os reload recently and my server came back within hours. The "backup" is not as easy as some people suggested here. Because data changed continuously and an "unmanaged" backup/restore may caused some unknown issues. Here is my way:

1. Schedule backups for different types of data and backup manually.

Softlayer provides free 1G lockbox and it's very useful. I also backup data on my computer and on my another server.

2. Backup conf files. They are httpd.conf, my.cnf, php.ini, all AWSTATS confs, all vhost.conf files of Plesk

3. The most important thing is write down all steps for restoring a server after a OS reload.

Quote Originally Posted by The Creature
    Search these forums for "ThePlanet" the negative outwiegh the posative 50 to 1. I can't believe such a trash organization is still in business. The Planet is trash.
    Those who don't know already EV1 and The Planet are now the same trash *ss operation.
    Sounds like you have quite an axe to grind there, so possibly your advice isn't particularly unbiased! I'm no apologist for The Planet, but I'm not sure where you get this "50 to 1" ratio from. Of course, we all know that most people who are happy don't post about their great experience, so the ratio is always going to be skewed in favour of the negatives.

Bottom line here is that the OP did not take adequate safeguards to ensure his server's uptime and looks to blame someone else for his failing (had he had RAID, this should've been a non-issue).

Well the point of these forums is to post your opinions... my opinion is of course biast to a degree, they cost us alot of money. But you'll find if you look up some of the larger hosts, you don't find anywhere near the amount of negative posts about any one company other than The Planet. So are you suggesting that it's just some conspiracy I've dreamed up that they are massively hated?

Bottom line here is that the OP did not take adequate safeguards to ensure his server's uptime and looks to blame someone else for his failing (had he had RAID, this should've been a non-issue).
    Most definately. I just find it odd that The Planet has such a massive amount of HD failure that isn't recoverable to any degree.

So are you suggesting that it's just some conspiracy I've dreamed up that they are massively hated?
    Well, saying they are "massively hated" is again, your biased opinion. There are a lot of very happy customers here and on their own forums. Perhaps they are a victim of their own success? Say they have 10,000 customers, if just 1% are unhappy, you've got 100 people ready to bash them right there. If there were 100 people posting negative comments here, I agree that the inference might be that The Planet is "trash", yet that would not be representative if 99% of their customers are happy.

I just find it odd that The Planet has such a massive amount of HD failure that isn't recoverable to any degree.
    I know that The Planet has around 30,000 servers, give or take. The MTBF of an average hard drive dictates that they are going to have a fair few failures. Are those failures recoverable? Probably. Do The Planet have the time, money or inclination to attempt a recovery? Almost certainly not. The drive will get binned or sent back under warranty, and that's that.

Well, saying they are "massively hated" is again, your biased opinion. There are a lot of very happy customers here and on their own forums. Perhaps they are a victim of their own success? Say they have 10,000 customers, if just 1% are unhappy, you've got 100 people ready to bash them right there. If there were 100 people posting negative comments here, I agree that the inference might be that The Planet is "trash", yet that would not be representative if 99% of their customers are happy.
    Quite possible... just voicing my "biast" opinion.

I know that The Planet has around 30,000 servers, give or take. The MTBF of an average hard drive dictates that they are going to have a fair few failures. Are those failures recoverable? Probably. Do The Planet have the time, money or inclination to attempt a recovery? Almost certainly not. The drive will get binned or sent back under warranty, and that's that.
    Again, understandable point, but in my "biast" opinion I think it is odd to have 9 of 11 servers suffer massive HDD failure in a 90 day period.

I agree, I guess you were just unlucky. Perhaps they had a bad batch? Or maybe they were Maxtor drives

lol.. I'll go along with either of those theories, but I'll lean towards the Maxtor side!

As other people have said, you need a server in raid preferably with hotswap drives. You seem to have the budget for this, don't take any risks if you stand to lose that much money.

All drives fail. You should see the pile of dead drives we have at work.

RAID won't completely eliminate down time if a disk fails but it's a lot faster to swap out a drive in an array instead of reinstalling the OS and copying everything back. Of course if you get hot-swappable RAID you could have zero down time.
    Linux/BSD Systems Administrator

Ive seen alot of raid issues
    (ooops, gotta do a 12 hour fsck)

If your business is GROWING, go ahead and get a second server in a cluster.

If your business is standing still, backup offsite.

If your business is declining...pray

Just my 2c
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

No company in this business can survive and grow without having to hire help. And the more help they have to hire, the harder it is to keep the quality up. And you want a pretty big business to handle your ded server, because if they aren't big enough, you have stability concerns. They might sell and who knows what you get? I say this from experience.

The Planet is way better than the several alternatives I've used before.

They aren't perfect. I've had a couple really annoying issues myself...but in the end I know it was just the 1st degree tech support causing the problem...and to get more expensive people handling every little thing would mean paying a lot more.

Angry

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The planet has horrible service, they ripped me out of over $3,000.

Beware of the planet.

My current host has 24/7 techs and they do not use a wretched call center to bounce calls to underskilled techs.
    The general public has been manufactured as a Nation of ventriloquist dummies.

OK then. Who are you with now? Are a lot of people happy with it? If they are established I'll keep it in mind as a backup if it ever comes to it, but I've bounced around a lot and the Planet is the best I had so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdwh
    OK then. Who are you with now? Are a lot of people happy with it? If they are established I'll keep it in mind as a backup if it ever comes to it, but I've bounced around a lot and the Planet is the best I had so far.

At the moment I am with XLHost, unfortunately they do not have a referral program. I've been with them for two years now and I haven't had a problem yet. I'm not saying that I couldn't have one in the future believe me I have been with A LOT of providers and got into a lot of arguments and had a lot of problems with them. So far, they seem to be good one.

XLhost is pretty good. The only thing is their weekend support is lacking or at least was lacking 6 months ago. If they fixed that, then they would be very solid.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRaul
    XLhost is pretty good. The only thing is their weekend support is lacking or at least was lacking 6 months ago. If they fixed that, then they would be very solid.

Yeah you're right but I can say that they did give me free $100 software support just because they couldn't do it till the next day, but that doesn't count if you're site is pulling in more daily.

Wow, amazing. My harddrive had failed so their tech support had to swap out the drive and do an OS reload yesterday morning. We specifically stated that we wanted Red Hat Enterprise Version 4 and they installed Version 3 instead. Afterwards we contacted them and they apologized for the mixup and had to do another OS reload. It is now 7 AM and received a response that they had a technical difficulty and has to restart the OS reload once more. My sites generate over $150 per day and I am losing money due to their awful service. I am requesting that I am not billed the $400 per month server payment and am awaiting their response. If they decline I am definitely going elsewhere. This situation is so bad I can't help but laugh. Stay away from ServerMatrix.
    Lexington,

What actions have you taken to get this problem resolved? The planet has a support staff that is there to help you and resolve your problems 24 hours a day.

Chad M.
    Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-Marketing
    Lexington,

What actions have you taken to get this problem resolved? The planet has a support staff that is there to help you and resolve your problems 24 hours a day.

Chad M.
    Marketing
    Too bad your support staff doesn't know what to do when you DO finally talk to them.

The planet sucks.

Two thumbs down to you!

Thanks for the responses guys, but my server is back up now so I am not too worried about their support anymore. At the time I created this topic I wasn't sure when the server would ever come back online. It still took them two days but I was worried that it would have been longer than that.

Well good for you. Glad to see that this has been resolved. Generally it does puzzles me why ThePlanet won't revamp their OS reload policies. For example, we would have been very willing to pay extra to get it back in let say an hour or 2. But unfortunately, they stick with their first come first serve policy which unfortunately don't really work for us as we have had servers down 24 hours before.

Needless to say, we no longer consider them for new servers and is moving out existing servers slowly which is a pity : they have an excellent network. But it's impossible for any proper business to leave downtime to chance.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

Wow, amazing. My harddrive had failed so their tech support had to swap out the drive and do an OS reload yesterday morning. We specifically stated that we wanted Red Hat Enterprise Version 4 and they installed Version 3 instead. Afterwards we contacted them and they apologized for the mixup and had to do another OS reload. It is now 7 AM and received a response that they had a technical difficulty and has to restart the OS reload once more. My sites generate over $150 per day and I am losing money due to their awful service. I am requesting that I am not billed the $400 per month server payment and am awaiting their response. If they decline I am definitely going elsewhere. This situation is so bad I can't help but laugh. Stay away from ServerMatrix.
    This is why if you are not sure of the disasters a server can have, or if you have a successful site you should always find a fully managed server company with redundant backup.. $50 more for Raid 1, and you would have had no downtime.

If you would like help on setting up a fault tolerant system, please ask the WHT community or PM me and I will point you in the right direction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12