I don't think WHT has a problem handling the user load

Especially after seeing this:

Most users ever online was 6,706, 11-18-2006 at 06:25 AM
    EDIT: although I wish I could spell handling instead of handing in the title.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

A lot of those were probably bots unfortunately. It would be interesting to see what some statistics really are. I grabbed my roommate's blackberry when one page came in to see the gateway was handling 1,072 TPS (transactions per second).

So I would guess that 6,706 was at one particular second? I am not certain how thet stats are actually created - meaning in a 5-second period, etc

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    ... although I wish I could spell handling instead of handing in the title.
    Looks fine to me.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    A lot of those were probably bots unfortunately. It would be interesting to see what some statistics really are. I grabbed my roommate's blackberry when one page came in to see the gateway was handling 1,072 TPS (transactions per second).

So I would guess that 6,706 was at one particular second? I am not certain how thet stats are actually created - meaning in a 5-second period, etc

No, that's not how vBulletin works, and 1,072 TPS could still easily support 6000 users.

Vbulletin assumes a user is online until a specified amount of time expires. usually 30 minutes.

Things like Google Spider, Yahoo, etc do not show in that list, as by default that are removed from the 'who's online'

It doesn't mean 6000 people are concurrently hitting the database, it just means 6000 people have hit the db and have not been sitting longer than 30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    Looks fine to me.
    Why thank you

Things like Google Spider, Yahoo, etc do not show in that list, as by default that are removed from the 'who's online'
    Not in the current vBulletin version. I use a vB forum which I installed a month or so ago and just yesterday I saw Google and MSN crawling the forum after I saw them listed on the 'who's online' page.

Of course, they probably can be filtered out, but I guess only The Prohacker will be able to tell us if this is done at WHT.
    - Jamie Harrop

it's pretty irrelevant anyway. at 6000 users online it would be a tiny number of crawlers

Especially after seeing this:

EDIT: although I wish I could spell handling instead of handing in the title.

That number was mostly bot traffic from a denial of service we received on that day

Our average online is 800-1000 in peak times. A lot of the issues people are seeing are related to our attack mitigation making temporary blocks on addresses.
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

how often is WHT attacked?
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prohacker
    That number was mostly bot traffic from a denial of service we received on that day

Our average online is 800-1000 in peak times. A lot of the issues people are seeing are related to our attack mitigation making temporary blocks on addresses.
    That was why i thought 6000 was a huge numbered compared to the norm.

I didn't know you'd been attacked either.

Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Hesham
    how often is WHT attacked?

It happens from time to time but as of late, we have had several attacks. I think someone isn't happy with us
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

i was wondering why i keep getting so many connection reset messages.

would you like to white list my ips?
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ALGORYTHM
    i was wondering why i keep getting so many connection reset messages.

would you like to white list my ips?
    Glad I'm not the only one crazy... I keep getting those messages as well.

They started after this last upgrade, I believe.... maybe right after that upgrade. I thought it had something to do with that and would be fixed shortly....

Too bad the spammers/hackers are breaking out the guns on wht.... With all the supporters that group has here, I don't see why they would attack this forum.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Prohacker
    It happens from time to time but as of late, we have had several attacks. I think someone isn't happy with us

I imagine it gets attacked quite often, but then again this place probably has alot of security precautions to handle such attacks.
    Kerry Jones