Question Few Questions About DNS...

Hi All,

I am new here..I am always confused about the following things and where are they used. I search google for tutorials for these but the words they used are hi-fi. so could not still understand what are they actually. can anyone please explain me in layman's words, about them with Examples?

I know how to set nameservers in domains but when it comes to the following terms, I give up...

1) A name

2) AAAA

3) CNAME

Thanx a ton

Newport Beach, CA
    A record is just a single pointer. so if your domain is an "A" record you would want to add would be the "www" is the a record. it just means that when that is typed in the server knows that it's going to the www.

AAAA - No idea what you mean

CNAME is an abbreviation for 'canonical name'. It's not a good idea to use these anymore. Some control panels still use them (Plesk) but they aren't needed, and in fact cause DNS look ups to perform one additional lookup. While that's minimal, it's still one extra job.

CNAMES are great to use if you want to 'wildcard' your domain. eg. is yours. you have no additional "A" records. no matter what you put in front of '' it will still go to your website. will point to your main site. Without using this, it would go to a 404 error page because there's no record for it.

CNAMES can also be used when renaming a host.

CNAMES can also be used when you want to point a subdomain to a different site altogether. eg: you want to go to You'd make a CNAME for it. You can do the same thing with an "A" record, but the difference is, if's ip changes down the road, your "A" record will stop working, whereas if you had created a CNAME it would still work becuase you'd make the CNAME point to
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

London, UK
    AAAA is the same as an 'A' record as described above but for IPv6.
    Peter Verrill
    Real Hosts Limited - Excellent UK network for (un)managed Dedicated Servers, Cloud Servers, Colocation and Rack Space

ok thanx for your answers.

I am planning to purchase a reseller from somewhere. They are giving free shared pvt nameservers with the reseller plan and shared IP address.

I want to know, how will it help me if I purchase a dedicated pvt nameserver as well as purchase a dedicated IP for my reseller plan?

Ontario, Canada
    If you have your own private IPs for your nameservers it basically allows you to use your own domain name for your name servers.

This is useful because:

You're a reseller. You don't want someone to do a WHOIS on your domain and see another hosting providers domain name, the curious client might check their website and get a better deal from them directly. So you want to use your OWN name as a reseller.

There are some other reasons why you would probably use a private nameserver although this is the first one that came to mind... Hope this helps.

I suggest a quick stop at

The first few domains are free...and you can really see the difference (in transfer speed, for example) in using their nameservers vs using a host's shared nameservers. The problems are many..and you can understand more by frequenting:

to learn about dns timing...and tons of other things. Some hosts make the mistake of having both nameserver IPs (even if they are different subnets) on the same server. That server is down or has problems..nothing works. Mail doesn't work..web..nothing. A simple solution for a host (or even a reseller) is to get a small VPS (Xen or VMware are the best for this..although openvz is decent..if the vps has a decent connection) and just use it for secondary DNS.

I personally have no problem just taring the zone files and transferring them manually to each secondary dns server. I fully understand they can update each other..I'm just not that far along in all this get to that stage.

I do not recommend the cpanel dns-only stuff. VMware VPS's are as rare as hen's teeth these days...and to honestly run a master cpanel dns really need that or a small dedicated server for the task. It is just so cpu-intensive...and complex to maintain..again..I wouldn't advise going anywhere near it.

Anyways...spend time on dnsstuff....and you'll be a dns pro in no time at all.

Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer