Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying your own servers/Equipment?

Hey,
    I was wondering what a good setup would be to get if you wanted to buy your own servers to etheir put in your own datacenter or a Co-location type deal.

Rack Mounted.... does it need to be a 2GHZ Pent. 4, or can it be a 800mhz celeron, ram? diskspace... give me the specs please on a good all around system and estimated price? good places to buy such a system?

thanks.

-Mike

This is probably in the wrong forum. I personally wouldn't go for a rackmount. Server cases are too expensive and stuff. You can get some nice colo deals and towers and smaller cases, plus there much cheaper to build. I can help you find the parts if you want to email me: mikes@mas3000.com.

- Mike

Definitely go for a rackmount! The cost difference is minimal for the long run and you will have a much greater flexibility to choose your datacenter and it will even save you in the long run too. There is a good reason why the industry has created an industry standar rackmount cases.

And mas3000, why do you feel loballhostin is looking for a cheap solution to his needs?

regards,
    -dave
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Originally posted by FHDave
    Definitely go for a rackmount! The cost difference is minimal for the long run and you will have a much greater flexibility to choose your datacenter and it will even save you in the long run too. There is a good reason why the industry has created an industry standar rackmount cases.

And mas3000, why do you feel loballhostin is looking for a cheap solution to his needs?

regards,
    -dave
    Why should you go for rackmount? Too expensive and I'm not saying cheap solution, get more for the money.

You could definitely build a P4 2.2Ghz processor with 1GB ram cheaper as a tower compared to a rackmount.

Who said cheap.

- Mike

Why is one or the other better (aside from cost)? Just wondering.

Originally posted by secludo
    Why is one or the other better (aside from cost)? Just wondering.
    Well, there is no difference but cost. So instead of paying $1200 on a rackmount, buy a more powerful tower and colocate it. Some datacenters might not take towers, just don't go with them.

The problem with tower servers are the costs of colocating them.. You have to decide what is more important - the price of building the server or the price of colocating it.

I don't think Dave disputed that towers were cheaper. Rackmounts are the way to go though, all top datacenters prefer rackmounts, and colo costs are far lower.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

I would go for rackmount, if you think colo is say even $30 per U a tower is what, 4U? so monthly fees over a 24 month period means its damn expensive for a tower

And who's paying $1200 for a rackmount? Way over the top

towers are more than 4 u, you cant stick a tower in a rack, it would have to go on a shelf or something...

towers are more than 4 u, you cant stick a tower in a rack, it would have to go on a shelf or something...
    Maybe but most colo's will charge you the relevent U of the tower laid on its side so you would get charged between 4-5U per month for it

I feel in the long run, Rackmounts will be cheaper to maintain, I can throw 4 rackmounts where 1 tower would go.... Meaning 4x cheaper on monthly payments.

What is the best Processor Chip for servers? pentium? celeron? ect.

whats standard Ram Amount? 1GB?

-Mike

Originally posted by loballhostin
    I feel in the long run, Rackmounts will be cheaper to maintain, I can throw 4 rackmounts where 1 tower would go.... Meaning 4x cheaper on monthly payments.

What is the best Processor Chip for servers? pentium? celeron? ect.

whats standard Ram Amount? 1GB?

-Mike
    I would not say so. I've colocated towers for $99/month with 540GB bandwidth. I wouldn't say that's SO much more expensive than a rackmount. You've just got to find the deals and do some searching.

I also never said it had to be a tower... there are thinner desktops that are half the size of a tower.

I don't think it's the space that really matters the most in the price, it's the bandwidth. I get space for less than $10 per U, so really it's the bandwidth that takes most of the cost of colocating.

I would say rackmount is the best. If you are being charged per 1U then in the long run rackmount is better. And $10 per 1U? Realestate must be pretty damn cheap. If the colo is in silicon vallery where most of the Carriers are. The average will be around $50 per 1U.

I'm not going to tell you how much I actually pay. But when you buy in bulk(rack), you can get quite a discount. And I get 1U space for less than $10/month.

Mas3000, think it this way.

How much does a rack cost/monthly? How many towers can you put in a rack? How many 1U server can you put in a rack? Then you know the reason why the industry has created rackmount [Hint: to save operational cost]

Besides, with rackmount people will have the ability to choose any datacenters they want. All datacenters will take a rackmount, be it a cheap one or an expensive one. I guess if one day you decide to move your servers, you will probably have a harder time finding a place that will take your towers as affordable as what you pay right now. But then, not everybody tink a long-term business plan worthy of much consideration.

regards,
    -dave
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Yes go with a Rackmount case, the only cost different is going to be the rackmount versus a tower case. So for the extra $130 or so it's well worth it. You can then choose any datacenter and not worry about the tower case... So just end up buying a 2U case that way you can put any standard ATX motherboard and build your system normally like you would in a tower...

Originally posted by FHDave
    Mas3000, think it this way.

How much does a rack cost/monthly? How many towers can you put in a rack? How many 1U server can you put in a rack? Then you know the reason why the industry has created rackmount [Hint: to save operational cost]

Besides, with rackmount people will have the ability to choose any datacenters they want. All datacenters will take a rackmount, be it a cheap one or an expensive one. I guess if one day you decide to move your servers, you will probably have a harder time finding a place that will take your towers as affordable as what you pay right now. But then, not everybody tink a long-term business plan worthy of much consideration.

regards,
    -dave
    Yes, but the cooling in towers is also much better since there is more space.

Rackmout cases are specifically designed for maximum airflow, to keep temperatures down. The cheap ATX cases that are as an alternative will have pretty poor airflow, and probably very few fan mountings.

I'll throw my vote in for rackmounts. You are very limited in the datacenters that will accept towers/desktops (unless you rent a rack). Plus, you can (easily and efficiently) fit everything from a tower/desktop into a 1U or 2U, saving yourself 1U-3U of space (and cost), not to mention having the ability to fit more per rack.

I'm never really concerned with the server cost differences as they are small when spread over 24 months. I'm more concerned with efficiency. Rackmounts are very efficient (in more ways than one). Towers/Desktops are not.
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk

I will have to agree with Matt.

Nearly all of the rackmount servers we have in our facility run much cooler than any of the desktop or tower units that are colocated with us.

Rackmounts may be more expensive, but keep in mind they are designed to run cool for long periods of time without shutting off.

Many datacenters (including ours) will not let you co-locate a tower server at all.

-Brendan

Done with which is better..

What about processors, raids, ect? any comments on that please?

Originally posted by mas3000
    Yes, but the cooling in towers is also much better since there is more space.
    It's just like saying to somebody: "Hey stranger, I see that my house is 2 times bigger than yours. Ha! It's must be cooler inside my house than yours!"

The size of the case does not matter much, the air flow/ventilation rate(how much volume of hot air inside can be displaced per unt time) is the key factor. Perharps you have done your own research by comparing CPU temperature inside a rackmount case and inside a tower on many different rackmount/tower cases and come up with the above conclusion?

What about processors, raids, ect?
    I heard that AMD generally runs hotter than Intel. So be careful with your choice of rackmount case if you go with AMD, especially with Dual AMD. A certified dual AMD rackmount case will be more expensive than a generic one. RackmountEquipment sells some of these certified Dual AMD 1U/2U case. AMD is a great CPU and will probably outperform Intel any time. But I will stick with Intel for a simple two reasons:
    - Intel has a stronger brand name and it may be an important factor in your business too. I don't think we really care about the 5% difference between Intel and AMD nor I think the cutomer really feels it, but we do care how market/people general reaction towards these two names. Don't let people look down at your business just because they have assosiated AMD with bargain products. If for my own desktop PC, I will have no problem with AMD (until this Intel dies on me, of course )
    - Intel has a proven technology that will protect its chips againts CPU meltdown; in case the CPU overheats (because the fan dies), there is a temperature censor inside the CPU that will autmaatically shut down the CPU to avoid any kind of CPU meltdown that will probably start a fire (your motherboard gets burn, etc) inside your server. This is a really important factor to be considered. Up to few months ago, AMD does not have yet this feature and has been proven to totally melt down the CPU in the case of overheating. Read this article

Now, what kind of CPUs (clockspeed, P3, P4, dual P3, or Dual P4/Xeon) should you get? It all depends on how much can you spend on it, of course.

regards,
    -dave

I have my own cage. Maybe you if paid $400 a month for the whole rack + power it. You seem to be the only one that likes the tower method. Everyone else likes the rackmount =P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast