PHPAdsNew (PAN) Server Loads

Hiya,

Needing some advice...

I had set up an instance of PAN on my Dual Xeon, which serves a good number of domains, with four banner zones. The impressions last month were well over 6 million, and THIS month, something (I expect it was PAN, but am not totally sure) drove my loads high enough to crash the box repeatedly...

I am now in the process of upgrading my box to something more capable. I'm looking at a AMD Dual Opteron 252 with FOUR GB of RAM (my Xeon has only 1GB), and I need some opinions regarding if this will be sufficient.... What considerations control a servers LOADS? Is this mainly RAM or are there other factors....? I would expect that the pure number of processes is what my issue was... and now I need to find a solution that works.

Thanks a bunch for any advice you might offer.

r
    RCMedia Services Most Anything Digital

Anyone? I'm needing some info quickly as I must make a decision fast ;-)

Thanks

It depends on what was crashing the server. Was it the cpu which was sky rocketing or was it the insufficient availability of RAM. From what I can see you were most probably running out of RAM than running out of CPU power but this is just considering experiences with running a image hosting site which I assume your ads are also image based.

There's a server I own with a site which has 14,739,615 page page views a month and loads doesn't exceed 1.5 on a Pentium D 2.8 w/ 2Gigs of RAM. You maybe better off tweaking the server than buying more hardware. A tweaked server is better than a hardware powerful server.

PS What kernel are you using? Please run uname -r and paste the output.
    ServerTweak Networks, LLC >> ServerTweak.com
    Experience the fastest network and superior servers, feel the power of ServerTweak!
    Fremont, CA DataCenter | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Cross Connects HE.net | 1/4 - Full Cab Sales

Thank you

Thanks Eymbo, for taking the time to reply.

The output is:: 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp

I have been told that my kernal is up to date (that was an issue prior). But since I'm an admin newbie with a completely managed solution... I'm fairly clueless...

I don't know if my management team "tweaked" the box for this or not, as this is really not their job. And given that this current box only has one GB of RAM, I would suspect that regardless, it's probably a good idea to add the RAM at least.

Eymbo, who might I hire to tweak the box once I figure out which way I'm going with this? The tech team's job is only to keep the box running, and I don't trust hiring people blindly, as "everyone's an expert". But since you have direct experience in this, I would like to find out who YOU used, or if you personally did this... This is obviously something I need, so I'd like to find the right party to assist me if I could.

Thank you again for your time...

r

I work at ServerTweak networks and I'm one of the server administrators who works on the modifications and tweaks on servers. You may want to go to the url in my signature. If you'd like a quote on the price it may cost you can talk to Ivan about it.

Ps Sorry for the late reply
    ServerTweak Networks, LLC >> ServerTweak.com
    Experience the fastest network and superior servers, feel the power of ServerTweak!
    Fremont, CA DataCenter | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Cross Connects HE.net | 1/4 - Full Cab Sales

eymbo,

Thanks a bunch... I just changed servers and management companies and things appear to be running much better so far. I see you PM'd me... so I'll go reply... and I will SURELY keep your contact information on file here.

Thanks again!!

r