Question cPanel or webmin? for server management

I am planning to get a dedicated server to run a handfull web portals of my own. They are currently hosted on a cpanel vds. But as te load is getting pretty high i am thinking of moving to a dedicated box (planning to take a dual xeon).

I dont need the fancy cpanel/fantastico stuffs on the domain end (individual sites). And as i wont be hosting clients on the box, i dont need to be worried about providing end user control panel to others.

I just need some easy way to manage the server itself. All sites can be managed with a single root access as i dont have seperate ppl looking after seperate sites. (actually i do all the work myself).

Should i just use webmin? Or should i get cPanel?

cPanel will cost me additional $25-$30/mo. I am also bothered abt any resource the control panel itself might kill. As i am not a pro server admin, major software updates (apache, php, mysql) and security counts aswell.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    WebHosting.com.bd - Web Hosting Bangladesh
    Limited Sites Per Server | cPanel | RVSiteBuilder PRO | Rapid Support | Pay-As-You-Go Reseller
    DomainDokan.com - Domain Registration Bangladesh
    Real-time Registration | Online Control Panel | Rapid Support | Turn-key Reseller

You need to install all other major softwares by hand (if not installed along with Linux) if you decide not to buy a cp / use webmin only.

Regarding the resource usage, you should consider DirectAdmin, which is more fast and stable than cpanel.
    Rails in DA - Ruby on Rails plugin for Directdmin | DA-Tomcat - Tomcat Manager plugin for Directdmin
    DA-PgSQL - PostgreSQL plugin for Directdmin | IP Deny Manager - IP Deny Manager plugin for Directdmin
    DeeperAdmin - Manager your DirectAdmin server "deeper"
    Order now at http://www.daplugin.com

how much resource cpanel usually kill?

does webmin kill much (or any) resource?
    Limited Sites Per Server | cPanel | RVSiteBuilder PRO | Rapid Support | Pay-As-You-Go Reseller
    Real-time Registration | Online Control Panel | Rapid Support | Turn-key Reseller

Webmin uses a substantial amount of resources when you are interacting with it in my experiences with it.

I personally use CPanel. After using a few programs, I will never use anything other than CPanel again....

I think you might want to hit on DA if it is for long. DA can do everything you want. It is definitely fine for normal usage.

You could put both cPanel and Webmin on the box and use one or the other depending on the task at hand.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Made
    I personally use CPanel. After using a few programs, I will never use anything other than CPanel again....
    I concur I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Made
    Me too! i had a nightmare with Plesk. Now i don't use anything other than Cpanel. It is just so easy to use.

Anything cPanel actually does that webmin can not? Or in a easier way thats worth the price?

I am talking only about the server management. I wont be hosting any client, so not bothered with "how easy its for clients"

On the same note, I am thinking of moving to Windows 2003 Dedicated server for some of my sites (no client). Apart from straight ASP / PHP / mySQL installs, I won't be installing any other packages.

In this case, is there any justification for a Control Panel or I would still need some sort of cp for sorting out domains, ips etc?

how you seen vhcs ??
    Giving up does not always means you are weak, it Simply means you are strong to let go!

Quote Originally Posted by Navid1
    how you seen vhcs ??
    VHCS sucks if you compare it with commercial softwares like Cpanel (in terms of application). I dont have much experience with VHCS in administration level, though.
    Senior Server Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcares
    VHCS sucks if you compare it with commercial softwares like Cpanel (in terms of application). I dont have much experience with VHCS in administration level, though.
    i agree cpanel is bettere .. but 50$ a month ?? if you can manage your server with a easy and free control panel why pay that much !??! just becuase its famouse or becuase it has 200buttons which can be done with 2 !!!

i hope u got my point
    Navid
    Giving up does not always means you are weak, it Simply means you are strong to let go!

cPanel/WHM does a lot more than webmin does.. webmin is pretty much all user configurations and some shell things, etc.. while if you recompile apache with whm you simply tick some boxes and click a button.

I like DirectAdmin, I use it on my server, I host around 250 sites on a 2ghz box with load always below 0.50