hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Managed Hosting and Services : Is this for real?

Forum Jump

Is this for real?

Reply Post New Thread In Managed Hosting and Services Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Is this for real?

http://www.site5.com/

I know you're all aware of the deal, and I'm quite aware that they are overselling, but I have to ask this. I've looked at their Resource Usage Policy, and it seems practical that I could use 4-5TB of bandwidth a month without violating their terms with the right tools. There are four main things that stick out here....

- Consume more than 16 MBs of RAM.
- Utilize in excess of 15 seconds of CPU time.
- Simultaneous Apache connections in excess of 50.
- Number of simultaneous processes should not exceed 5.

Link: https://help.site5.com/index.php?_m=...kbarticleid=83

I just recently ordered an unmetered 20Mbps server to handle my media downloads, but I'd like a mirror. I would only use it to host files, everything else would be hosted on a dedicated server. So, with that in mind, could one write a script to limit the amount of connections so they didn't exceed 45? Also I'd need to stop all connections if I got close the the bandwidth limit. Considering the price, I figure it's worth a try if it's possible. So... is it?

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

With those kinds of resource limits they're not overselling, they're just offering you limits that you could never possibly reach.

With those rules, they basically guarantee that nobody can download media files from your site, and that you cannot have a very active site.

The only way i could see someone utilizing all of that service would be by maxing out FTP connections.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127
The only way i could see someone utilizing all of that service would be by maxing out FTP connections.
Most browsers these days support FTP connections and will automatically download files via FTP, so could I write a script and take that route? This probably isn't worth my time but I cant help but be curious.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

For most purposes, it is useless. You could perhaps use it as a personal backup just to keep a secondary set of the files, however there is really no way for you to control the number of hits that you receive.

It is fairly common practice for some people to setup anonymous ftp sites, however you would be unable to do this on your host.

Old

The only suggestion I can offer is to drop that service now, before you put a lot of time into it. The restrictions they give you are far to limiting.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Made
The only suggestion I can offer is to drop that service now, before you put a lot of time into it. The restrictions they give you are far to limiting.
That is very true. They have so many restrictions that it is impossible to use up all of the resources that they provide you.

Old

I don't have any services through them, and it looks like I never will. I was just curious if it was possible to use them as a cheap file host. Thanks for your comments guys!

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Even if you found a way to use it within their limitations, you'd still be dropped and given some excuse. People who get excited about these kinds of deals should know better by now. One of these days the FTC is going to make an example out of one of these hosts and maybe things will get back to sanity in the hosting business.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannasite
Even if you found a way to use it within their limitations, you'd still be dropped and given some excuse. People who get excited about these kinds of deals should know better by now. One of these days the FTC is going to make an example out of one of these hosts and maybe things will get back to sanity in the hosting business.
It's going to take both a) disgruntled, informed clients and b) unfair trade practice filings by competitiors before anyone gets cracked down on.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannasite
Even if you found a way to use it within their limitations, you'd still be dropped and given some excuse. People who get excited about these kinds of deals should know better by now.
Well, the only previous experience I ever had was with a well known and hated overseller who is out of business now I think. It was several years ago, and I bought a $20 a month package with 650GB of monthly transfer. Many people had problems with them like slow connections, but everything worked perfect for me. I even used about 500 - 600GB of transfer every month... service was perfect the whole year I prepaid for. The only reason I dropped it was because I was just using it to host media and warez for friends.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Microsoft Azure Unveils Real-Time Tools for IoT and Big Data Application Developers Web Hosting News 2014-10-31 11:44:44
Average Firm Takes 10 Hours to Detect Security Breach: McAfee Report Web Hosting News 2013-06-21 15:36:06
Carter Validus Mission Critical REIT Acquires Andover Data Center for $12M Web Hosting News 2013-04-08 15:45:27
Carter Validus Mission Critical REIT Acquires Raleigh Data Center Web Hosting News 2013-03-27 14:24:26
Wired Real Estate Group Buys Cloud Research Firm Applied Computer Research Web Hosting News 2013-03-06 15:51:18