Is Charge.com reliable? Good, fast and cheap?

With the help of this forum, I just found charge.com. Looks pretty good:

Technical Support Hours: 24 hours per day / 7 days per week
    nternet / Mail / Phone Order Discount Rate: 2.25%
    Statement/Customer Service Fee: $10.00 per month
    Internet Processing Software Gateway Fee: $16.95 per month
    Setup Fee: FREE
    Programming Charge: FREE
    Merchant Account Application Fee: FREE

Very important for my business: "The funds will appear in your bank account within 48-72 hours of the transaction". I can not wait 2 or 4 weeks.

What do you think about this and about Charge.com? There is not a lot messages about this company in the forum.

THANKS!
    Last edited by Macintosh; 11-26-2006 at 12:41 AM.

I would suggest checking out http://cdgcommerce.com/

I've used them in the past and had no problems.

Edit..

I've never personally contacted or used charge.com either.

I'm sure that CDGcommerce is an excellent and reliable company (I really like the messages in this forum from the boss).

BUT, for me...

• Principal Signer (or Co-Signer) must be at least 18 Years >> OK
    • Principal Signer (or Co-Signer) must have a U.S. S.S.N. >> NOT OK
    • Business must have a U.S. Mailing Address >> OK
    • Business must have a U.S. Bank Account >> OK
    • Business must be an Acceptable Merchant Category* >> OK

So it's like a heaven... I can see it, but can not be there...

Well pretty much every merchant i've seen does require a SSN for the signer.

So you might be out of luck.

Yep...

With Charge.com, I don't need a US S.S.N., so could it the good, or the only solution for me (Worldpay is great but I can not wait my money 8 weeks...).

In France, it's quite easy to apply but we have the worth rates in the world. In US, you have the best rates and the best services but it's impossible if you are not from US...

I am sorry! I can not trust any SETUP FEE FREE promotion company any more, cause my $20,000USD has been frozen by the company who offered me free setup fee promotion for almost 2 and half months. Sorry!

Sorry about your $20,000USD. I hope that everything will be ok soon.

I'm still searching for advices and reviews about Charge.com. Looks good, but is it really good?

So you are not in the United States? Chances are - your discount rate will be 4%, transaction rate will be $.35, and they will want a 5-day ACH hold (funds will probably be dispersed on Tuesday and Friday) and they will limit you to $10,000 a month.

Charge.com was once an agent for Cardservice. Cardservice is about the only United States merchant account provider that will support international merchants (with the above fees as listed). Charge.com became their own ISO and they probably use Cardservice for their international merchants.

It depends on what country you are in. In the United States, Visa thinks there are about 1,000 ISOs and MasterCard thinks there are about 2,000 employing about 10,000 sales agent. Chances are there are more than 5,000 ISOs in the United States alone and most of those have at least 5 or more agents that you would be working with.

Each ISO / MLS in the United States is required by Visa and MasterCard to notate in their footer if they are an ISO and if so, what bank they are associated with or if they are an agent, what ISO they are associated with - this is true for all United States ISOs / MLSs and their agents. When they are caught, Visa's fines are $10,000 for the first infraction, $20,000 for the second infraction within a five-year period and $50,000 for the third infraction within a five-year period. MasterCard's fine is $5,000 per incident. If you see any United States merchant account provider that does not have this information, report them to Visa at (650)432-2933 and Visa will pull their status.

If you look at charge.com website, you will see they are registered ISO/MSP for FDIC insured Wells Fargo Bank. I cannot remember if another company purchased them a couple of years ago and pulled them away from CSI.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    So you are not in the United States? Chances are - your discount rate will be 4%, transaction rate will be $.35, and they will want a 5-day ACH hold (funds will probably be dispersed on Tuesday and Friday) and they will limit you to $10,000 a month.

Charge.com was once an agent for Cardservice. Cardservice is about the only United States merchant account provider that will support international merchants (with the above fees as listed). Charge.com became their own ISO and they probably use Cardservice for their international merchants.

It depends on what country you are in. In the United States, Visa thinks there are about 1,000 ISOs and MasterCard thinks there are about 2,000 employing about 10,000 sales agent. Chances are there are more than 5,000 ISOs in the United States alone and most of those have at least 5 or more agents that you would be working with.

Each ISO / MLS in the United States is required by Visa and MasterCard to notate in their footer if they are an ISO and if so, what bank they are associated with or if they are an agent, what ISO they are associated with - this is true for all United States ISOs / MLSs and their agents. When they are caught, Visa's fines are $10,000 for the first infraction, $20,000 for the second infraction within a five-year period and $50,000 for the third infraction within a five-year period. MasterCard's fine is $5,000 per incident. If you see any United States merchant account provider that does not have this information, report them to Visa at (650)432-2933 and Visa will pull their status.

If you look at charge.com website, you will see they are registered ISO/MSP for FDIC insured Wells Fargo Bank. I cannot remember if another company purchased them a couple of years ago and pulled them away from CSI.
    Thanks a lot for this very interesting response!

No, I'm not in United States, I'm french. My company and my corporate bank account are in US, I also have an office in US, with a real address (not a PO box).

So, my chances are: "your discount rate will be 4%, transaction rate will be $.35, and they will want a 5-day ACH hold (funds will probably be dispersed on Tuesday and Friday) and they will limit you to $10,000 a month".

Well, not a very good deal indeed... What do you mean about the $10,000 limit each month? If it is the sales turnover, it's a very very little number.

Thank you again for these great informations.

Do you have a social security number - which it seems you do? This is usually the final determining factor.

The co-signer - does he need to be on there? Nothing illegal here - but keep in mind the merchant account is yours - it can be one person's name. What you seem to be running into the the co-signer issuer (not having a SSN). This is where your problem will lie - with any processor.

Honestly, it freaks them out. If something were to happen to your business and a lot of chargebacks happened, they want someone to be reliable. With you having a SSN it is a lot easier to be tracked with that little SSN. Putting another individual on there that does not have one - well it could just be asking for more scrutiny and they might deny it.

And most MAPs in the United States will always deposit your funds within 72 hours. (Unless your business is high risk, etc).

As far as the limit - your volume would be limited to $10,000 a month. But you have a SSN - you should not need to worry about it

Unfortunately, I don't have a SSN.

Yes, it's possible to have a US company, with a US corporate bank account and a real US address without SSN.

Well, you know, I will continue to look for a good company and for a good merchant account. I will apply with charge.com and with Cardservice. If nothing good is possible, well, I will see how to get a better solution.

I am reliable, my last business earn $420,000 USD the first year, the new one will do more than $500,000 USD, I have an account in the same french bank since 20 years without problems, etc. It's still hard to find a good merchant account. I like France : wines are good, bread is delicious and Paris is absolutely wonderful, but I just can not forget that this country is the one with the "biggest" taxes in the world...

I know it is possible to get a bank account without one. Once you walk into the bank, you have satisfied the YKYC (you know your customer regulation). I have stressed that many a time on here and you are another user that is living proof.

Don't apply with every provider and their mother - this will cause you more problems. If a few happen to approve you, then you might be stuck. You will get the rates I quoted above but without that SSN, you will be limited to $10,000 a month.

Do you have an ID card in the United States?

Thanks for your response Corey and thanki you for your advices. I follow what you said.

The limit of $10,000 is a very big problema and I can not accept this kind of limit. I will loose my time and my money if I can not sell more each month...

I don't have ID card in US.

So, after I read your messages, I know that I need to find an "international merchant account" (KlickandPay? Worldpay? etc.). Do you think I am wrong? Somewhere where I can sell to europeans and where I can accept Visa and Mastercard from european countries.

About the payments, I can not wait 2 or 4 weeks. I would like to buy and sell quickly. The rates are not so importants if I can do that: sell in europe (don't forget I'm french with a company, a bank account and an address in US...) and get the money quickly. Very very difficult to find and I thought that charge.com was the good choice. With the $10,000 limit, it's not...

By the way, I have found your blog! Very interesting and very clear. Congratulations
    Last edited by Macintosh; 11-27-2006 at 06:55 AM.

Worldpay would probably be one option. Take a look at them. You might even consider Barclay's or HSBC as well.

Another option would be to consider getting an international merchant account in the United States with an electronic payment gateway (LinkPoint gateway, Verisign's Payflow, Authorizenet.com) and filter / process about $10,000 a month through them. Set-up will be next to nothing, depending on the programs you choose, and Worldpay will probably have a set up fee, I think about $395 if I remember right but that could also depend on your siutation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macintosh
    By the way, I have found your blog! Very interesting and very clear. Congratulations
    Thank you very much!

I'm not sure to understand well.

How can I get an international merchant account in the United States without a SSN? I'm quite lost...

Concerning LinkPoint, I pretty sure it's a very reliable company but do you think I can apply with them?

Well, I didn't tought about Barclay's. In France it's an expensive bank, but maybe it can be ok for this kind of business. I will call them as soon as possible.

Thank for your advice about Worldpay. I also wrote Nochex on my list...
    Last edited by Macintosh; 11-27-2006 at 09:20 AM.

You can get an international merchant account with a United States provider with the terms: discount rate will be 4%, transaction rate will be $.35, and they will want a 5-day ACH hold (funds will probably be dispersed on Tuesday and Friday) and they will limit you to $10,000 a month.

You do not need a social security number. Heck you don't even need a Tax ID number unless you are a partnership / corporation.

LinkPoint has one thing that other gateways do not have - LinkShield to help prevent fraud. LinkPoint is owned by First Data. Most of the gateways
    • ALOHA - Nashville, 4000
    • ATOMIC SOFTWARE - Nashville, 4000
    • ATS/GLBL COMMERCE 2000 - Nashville, 4000
    • BLUE MONEY - Nashville, 4000
    • CARDSERVICE P.C. - Omaha, 4010
    • CREDIT LINE - Nashville, 4000
    • DATACAP - Nashville, 4000
    • Digital Dining - Nashville, 4000
    • DPOS - Omaha, 4010
    • I.C. VERIFY - Omaha, 4010
    • IBILL - Nashville, 4000
    • IC Verify Purchase Card Level II & III - CardNet, 206
    • IC Verify/VAR - CardNet, 206
    • IC-VERIFY DOS - Nashville, 4000
    • IC-VERIFY WINDOWS - Nashville, 4000
    • Image Tech / Visual Matrix - Nashville, 4000
    • IPN/Aloha/VAR - CardNet, 206
    • IPN/PC Charge/VAR - CardNet, 206
    • LP Virtual Terminal - Nashville, 4000
    • MAC AUTHORIZE - Omaha, 4010
    • MERCHANT MASTER - Omaha, 4010
    • MICROS 2700 / 3700 / 4700 / 8700 - Nashville, 4000
    • PAYLINX - Nashville, 4000
    • PC AUTHORIZE - Omaha, 4010
    • PC CHARGE - Omaha, 4010
    • PC-AUTHORIZE WINDOWS - Nashville, 4000
    • PC-CHARGE / NASHVILLE - Nashville, 4000
    • PTC - Omaha, 4010
    • SABLE - CardNet, 206
    • SHIFT 4 $$$ IN THE BANK - Nashville, 4000
    • Southern Datacom / Protobase - Nashville, 4000
    • SQUIRREL - NATIVE - Nashville, 4000
    • SQUIRREL - VISA - Nashville, 4000
    • TRANSACTION PLUS - Nashville, 4000
    • USA E PAY - Nashville, 4000
    • VAR - CardNet, 206
    • ANACOM - Nashville, 4000
    • API/Virtual/Basic - Nashville, 4000
    • AT & T - Nashville, 4000
    • AUTHORIZE NET - Nashville, 4000
    • Bookkeeper / Lkpt Gtwy - Nashville, 4000
    • CC HOSTING ENGINE - Nashville, 4000
    • CYBERSOURCE - Nashville, 4000
    • DIRECT LINK - Nashville, 4000
    • HTML & VIRTUAL LINKPOINT - Nashville, 4000
    • IC_VERIFY INTERNET DIAL - Nashville, 4000
    • INTELLIPAY - Nashville, 4000
    • Jettis - Omaha, 4010
    • LINKPOINT API & VIRTUAL LINKPOINT - Nashville, 4000
    • LinkPoint Cart - Nashville, 4000
    • LINKPOINT GTWY (SWIPED) - Nashville, 4000
    • LPAP / VLP / SCRUB - Nashville, 4000
    • LYCOS-1 - Nashville, 4000
    • LYCOS-2 - Nashville, 4000
    • NET BILLING - Nashville, 4000
    • NETSCAPE - Nashville, 4000
    • ORBIT PAYLINK - Nashville, 4000
    • PAYCOM - Nashville, 4000
    • PAYMENT NET - Nashville, 4000
    • PC-CHARGE INTERET DIAL - Nashville, 4000
    • PURE PAYMENT / IMALL - Nashville, 4000
    • RODOPI GATEWAY - Nashville, 4000
    • RODOPI PAYMENT GATEWAY - Nashville, 4000
    • TELECHARGE IVR - Nashville, 4000
    • VERISIGN LINK - Nashville, 4000
    • VERISIGN PRO - Nashville, 4000
    • VIRTUAL CHECK - N/A
    • VIRTUAL LINKPOINT - Nashville, 4000
    • YAHOO - STORE - Nashville, 4000
    • YAHOO GATEWAY - Nashville, 4000
    They use the platform in one way or another. First Data started with about 80,000,000,000 transactions and put together a fraud protection. This fraud protection will tell you if your customer is prone to doing chargebacks. It will tell you a number of things like
    Provides two basic components: a neural network and profiles that capture consumer purchasing behavior. The neural network is initially taught to recognize behavior patterns that are fraudulent based on knowledge gained from more than 80 billion purchases world-wide. It continues to learn more about the purchasing behavior of customers from their transactions as it reviews more and more transactions. With every new transaction-millions per month- the models continue to learn and update profiles with positive and negative data.
    Supplies a statistical model specifically designed to identify potentially fraudulent online credit card transactions. The statistical model was based on an historical database that contains millions of online credit card transactions collected from several thousand Internet merchants.
    When electronic payments gateways are concerned, usually you get the merchant account first and then get the gateway. Some merchant account provders are not compatible with all the gateways - some, like Yahoo, is proprietary to them.

You would talk to the merchant account provider first to see who they are compatible with.

Also keep in mind that some gateways listed above are known by other names as well.

WHAT?????????????????????????'

You dont need a SSN number???
    Thats crazy, i have researched tons and tons of merchant in the past couple of months and all Us merchants require SSN and a US signer.

What about me could i apply for a charge.com US rates? Or other if someone knows? I dont mind about the the 10.000$ limit, but i do need the lowest rates since i sell very small amounts and the processing fee or 0.45 hurts real bad against 0.25 for exaple from other merchants.

This is what i have:

SSN - No
    Us signer - No, but maybe i can get one
    US bank - OK (on the process right know)
    US phone - OK
    US Merchant Category - Ok

I dont have a SSN but i do have a Tax ID or EIN number since i incorporated in the US. Could i apply for a us merchant? All merchants i see will not just accept my Tax ID and Passport, they require a SSN signer.

Does charge.com accept international customer?

Quote Originally Posted by nibb
    WHAT?????????????????????????'

You dont need a SSN number???
    Thats crazy, i have researched tons and tons of merchant in the past couple of months and all Us merchants require SSN and a US signer.
    No you do not need a social security number for a United States merchant account. Each processor is different and their requirements are different.
    What about me could i apply for a charge.com US rates?
    Quote Originally Posted by lego.ma
    Does charge.com accept international customer?
    I am not too familiar how charge.com works any longer. I think that charge.com was bought by another ISO, called Pipeline - you can check out this thread.
    I dont mind about the the 10.000$ limit, but i do need the lowest rates since i sell very small amounts and the processing fee or 0.45 hurts real bad against 0.25 for exaple from other merchants.
    Each merchant account provider is different. You not having a social security number will hurt you in that. It's a vicious circle - the providers think the merchants are out to get them; the merchants think the providers and consumers are out to get them; and the consumers think that the merchant is out to get them.
    I dont have a SSN but i do have a Tax ID or EIN number since i incorporated in the US. Could i apply for a us merchant? All merchants i see will not just accept my Tax ID and Passport, they require a SSN signer.
    For a United States Merchant Account and if you are not based in the United States without a social security number, you need at least
    • United States Bank Account
    • United States Address
    • United States Phone Number or Toll Free Number
    You have more? Then that is great - but without that little nine-digit number that follows us Americans around from Day One, it is going to be very difficult to get a United States Merchant Account with lower discount fees.

Does anyone know any merchant providers that do not require SSN ?

LoudCommerce has opened a couple of accounts for some associates of mine that did not have a social security number. It usually takes about 3-5 business days for it to be opened with out. If you had a social security number, it is usually opened in less than 24 hours.

And then some more information on Charge.com and Pipeline Data:
    Pipeline Data Inc. acquired Charge.com on 12/19/2005

They also own SecurePay.

Looking at their financials, they have lost money in every single quarter for the past year. As of 12/31/05 it shows them heavily in debt with hardly any tangible assets.

Pipeline Data trades on the OTC (basically a penny stock) with the symbol PPDA. It has a market cap of $58 million compared to First Data which trades on the NYSE (FDC) and has a market cap of $18.66 Billion. More than 50% of all credit card transactions use First Data is some way shape or form
    John

charge.com, after applied, they linked me into 2checkout.com website?

It's funny... look at recent post http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=571986 to learn more about how good Charge.com treats their customers
    Amirocms.com