Question centos remote desktop problems, freenx

As mentioned in subject I just rented a dedicated server recently, (first one lol) and am having some trouble setting up a remote desktop.

heres the tutorial i used...

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/

And heres the errors i'm getting... not really a linux guy, any ideas? thanks!!

NX> 148 Server capacity: not reached for user: speedballer
    NX> 105 startsession --link="adsl" --backingstore="1" --nodelay="1" --encryption="1" --cache="32M" --images="128M" --media="0" --session="test" --type="unix-kde" --geometry="1024x738" --kbtype="pc102/en_US" --screeninfo="1024x738x32+render"

NX> 1000 NXNODE - Version 1.5.0-50-SVN OS (GPL)
    NX> 700 Session id: ------edited-----
    NX> 705 Session display: 1000
    NX> 703 Session type: unix-kde
    NX> 701 Proxy cookie: 9a23d45eebcbd858838a5b59019c53ff
    NX> 702 Proxy IP: 127.0.0.1
    NX> 706 Agent cookie: 9a23d45eebcbd858838a5b59019c53ff
    NX> 704 Session cache: unix-kde
    NX> 707 SSL tunneling: 1
    /usr/bin/nxserver: line 1077: 16168 Terminated sleep $AGENT_STARTUP_TIMEOUT
    NX> 105 NX> 596 Session startup failed.
    NX> 1004 Error: NX Agent exited with exit status 1.
    NX> 1006 Session status: closed
    NX> 1001 Bye.
    Can't open /var/lib/nxserver/db/running/sessionId{96714DA005EB86D83E35602EDCBCAF5E}: No such file or directory.
    mv: cannot stat `/var/lib/nxserver/db/running/sessionId{96714DA005EB86D83E35602EDCBCAF5E}': No such file or directory
    Killed by signal 15.

Why would you want a GUI on a server? A server is supposed to serve content, not show a pretty desktop. imho

What is wrong with a SSH shell? It does the same...

Trying to setup a custom game server, and it would help to have gui. I have root access so i presumed this would be possible...

I love ssh shell btw, my frist few days with it have been an adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by speedballer
    Trying to setup a custom game server, and it would help to have gui. I have root access so i presumed this would be possible...
    Installing X increases the resource consumption of your server and introduces numerous security vulnerabilities. I would recommend avoiding going that route unless it is an absolute necessity.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco
    Installing X increases the resource consumption of your server and introduces numerous security vulnerabilities. I would recommend avoiding going that route unless it is an absolute necessity.
    A GUI is far more productive. Plus you can start X only when you need it or modify the runlevels.

installing X on a game server is a bad idea.

On top of that WHY? you'll end up opening a shell session in X to get anything done anyway, why not just use a shell to start?

I think you should use X/KDE with VNC.
    This is based on installing the stuff to manage TrixBox but it worked for me when I used it.

First, follow these instructions: http://www.trixbox.org/modules/newbb...d=1389&forum=7

Second, do this: http://www.trixbox.org/modules/newbb...d=1390&forum=7

And then you can vnc into your box! simply open the vnc client and connect to "yourserverip:1" without quotes.. and you got it. HTH