Question Looking for a web host

Hi, I know this is a bit of a general question, but I am looking at creating a website and am looking to find a web host that will provide an easy to use web building package, a domain name and good support. I do not expect a lot of traffic on the site. My budget is a bit constrained, I would really appreciate any feedback on which hosting company will provide these service for a novice like me at a good price. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks
    Graeme

Hello Scott, Welcome to WHT , i would like to suggest not to get a domain from a hosting company cause sometimes you have to move to another host and you might face that your old hosting company doesnt want to transfer domain to you and hence your domain gets stuck with that company.

But what sort of requirements and budget you got? Space and BW as in requirements.
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Thanks for your reply, who would you recomend for the domain name. I have seen prices for around &#163;2 - &#163;5 a month and that would be fine, could probably stretch a bit further if a good hosting company required it. I need decent site building software that is user friendly (starting from scratch). I wont be requiring a lot of web space, i.e., less than 1 GB, but flexibility to increase this at a later date and bandwidth requirements will be pretty basic to start with say up to 5gb.

Thanks

For the domain you can probably use godaddy or namecheap , as for hosting cannot help cause i dont recall any host that offers website builder to clients. Try looking for the same on google "Website Builder Hosting " or something similar.

Cheers
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Thanks for that, who would you recomend just as a host if I built the site myself and just needed to upload?

Thanks again.

As paidhosting recommended you, domain registration companies that are reputable here on WHT (and they are good ones), NameCheap is very reputable here on WHT.

You could check for hosts with good reputation and good reviews here on WHT, visit their site and check if they offer WebSiteBuilder with their hosting package (WebSiteBuilder is a good software for newbies on webdesign or webcreation) but if you are able to create a design by your own then thats not a necessary tool for you .

Once you have made a short list of your preferred web hosting companies, drop them an e-mail, check their response time and how clear they are in answering to your question(s) or simply you can chat/discuss through their livesupport window.

Good luck

What's your monthly/yearly budget?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

After you register your domain name with namecheap or godaddy, you can search for a web host using hostsearch.com or findmyhosting.com

Although you would need to set your budget for web hosting first before choosing a web host then you can search using your requirements. Be sure to search for reviews on them before signing up.

Well, its not hard to find a web builder hsting company.
    And the hosting companies must be sincere regarding domain registration/transfer.
    Thanks
    mbkweb Meets all your needs, Website Building Tools, cpanel, Great customer support. Email reply within a maximum of 5 hours. LIVE help and development guidance.

Graeme / scotwid,

Let me see if I can help you.

… am looking to find a web host that will provide an easy to use web building package, a domain name and good support.
    Hostgator has Site Builder (aka Site Studio), a “web building package”, included with their package. It assists you in developing a multi-page simple website with wizards. With SiteStudio, you don't need to know anything about FTP, HTML, HTTP, or Designing. They have 500+ templates.

Domain name – “paidhosting” mentioned about the “your domain gets stuck with that company” problem. Like what “paidhosting” said, it is recommended to get your domain name and hosting from 2 different companies. Those domain name companies mentioned by him/her are popular ones. If you do need to buy both domain and hosting from the same company, do make sure that your name is in “Registrant” contact, “Administrative Contact” and “billing contact”.

Good support – this is something that greatly separates hosting companies. Many companies save on giving good support and give huge disk space and bandwidth instead because that is what most ppl are looking for/concerned of (unfortunately). For wiser customers, they will take good support into consideration when making their informed choice.

I do not expect a lot of traffic on the site. My budget is a bit constrained, I would really appreciate any feedback on which hosting company will provide these service for a novice like me at a good price.
    I have seen prices for around &#163;2 - &#163;5 a month and that would be fine, could probably stretch a bit further if a good hosting company required it.
    If you will be spending about &#163;5 or USD10 or less, you will be able to get quite good hosting packages – big space and bandwidth for sure but good support only if you choose the right company.

I need decent site building software that is user friendly (starting from scratch).
    There are 2 main types of site building software out there –
    1) those that you install locally on your desktop/laptop – eg Macromedia Dreamweaver (commercial), Microsoft FrontPage (commercial), NVU (free at nvu.com)
    With these, you develop locally and then upload files at once when done.
    2) those that reside on the hosting server – eg SiteBuilder etc
    These probably comes with your hosting – either free or paid. Simpler to use but only suitable for simple websites and response might be slow as everything/every change that you do is transferred over the network.

I personally recommend using the 1st type – as you will not be relying on network when you develop your site – change color, design, sentences and spellings etc.

I wont be requiring a lot of web space, i.e., less than 1 GB, but flexibility to increase this at a later date and bandwidth requirements will be pretty basic to start with say up to 5gb.
    1GB space and 5GB is very reasonable amounts to start with. However, you might find yourself being offered much more than those as space and bandwidth are getting cheaper and cheaper by the day. So, you’ll get much more than you need with &#163;5 or USD10 – it’s no harm getting more anyway.

Thanks for that, who would you recomend just as a host if I built the site myself and just needed to upload?
    Any “web building package” or “web building software” (type 2, see above paragraph) that comes with your hosting plan is actually an extra. You can freely upload your own site developed via type 1 software to those same hosts that offer type 2 software. No, it will not be a waste if you don’t use the hosted “web building software” that comes with your plan as those don’t really add to the hosting fees – most are rather cheap and hosting companies give them as bonus.

More importantly, go for stability (high uptime, with guarantee of uptime), good support and affordable pricing. You don’t have to worry much about your disk space and bandwidth requirements as most hosts will be able to meet your requirements without problem by today’s standards.

Most all web hosts now offer some sort of site builder and also a control panel with your hosting so you see your choices will be overwhelming.
    Try to compile a list and then send some pre-sales emails to them and also research reviews (by company name) here and on google.com as well.

I do advise for you to register your own domain name first...then all you will have to do is update your domain record with your new hosts DNS info once you have your hosting account info. A good host will assist you along the way.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Yea like he said most hosts nowadays offer easy to use site builders. If not you could always try out the new Dreamweaver as it is quite easy to use for beginners.

As for beginner hosting, you wont be in much need for disk space, but dont be fooled but some hosters who oversell and offer you unlimited or too much space you dont need. (Go for quality not quantity )

1) those that you install locally on your desktop/laptop – eg Macromedia Dreamweaver (commercial), Microsoft FrontPage (commercial), NVU (free at nvu.com)
    kompozer.net offers an NVU version with less bugs. I prefer it.

What is the budget you currently have?