which anti-virous is best for windows-2003 server

I have windows 2003 server (iis-6) for webhosting , please guide me ,which anti-virous i will install ?

There is quite a number, I prefer

F Prot
    AVG
    Clamav (But no realtime scanning yet)

We have been using AVG server edition on our 2k3 servers

AVG is a good option, I like symantec corporate edition but it can be expensive and has to be purchased in packs of 5.
    █ Windows and Exchange Server Experts, UK and US Dedicated Exchange Servers.
    MCSE Certified, Registered Microsoft Partner.
    █ Exchange 2010, Server 2008 and IIS 7 Services now available!
    www.windowsserv.com Email: mail@windowsserv.com

Avast gets my vote.
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

I like AVG as well due to the fact that it is not a memory hog yet it does a good job.

you shouldnt install av on a server. it will reduce performance alot expecially if you only have 1cpu

I use Avast for my computer, and quite happy with it. Might be try to contact Avast to ask about their server product?
    Traditional music traveling

Quote Originally Posted by doc_flabby
    you shouldnt install av on a server. it will reduce performance alot expecially if you only have 1cpu
    Do not follow this advice. It is just plain stupid.

What you need to do is find a product like symantec or trend that allows you to specify what not to scan. Check the features list for exclusions list. Do not scan directories where you keep db tables, trans logs, log files, map files etc... Basically anything you can properly lock down via security and where only an application writes to. If you don't know how to do that get an admin to help you. It's easy if you take a few minutes though.

I have large oracle and MS SQL db servers running with AV on it with the proper exclusions and no issue at all.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

My vote for AVG because it consume low system resource.....And a good smasher for Virus

A few words for Norton and Mcafee antivirus.... I have worked in both but what I found... sometime it create or find virus in OS file ....Now after fixing or deleting such files windows usually crash. So both are not recommendable for Live server.

Yes, so long as the AV allows you to exclude what you don't want scanned like your DB's and system files then it will run fine. Leaving your server without AV leaves it open to all sorts of issues if you are allowing other people to upload to it.
    █ Windows and Exchange Server Experts, UK and US Dedicated Exchange Servers.
    MCSE Certified, Registered Microsoft Partner.
    █ Exchange 2010, Server 2008 and IIS 7 Services now available!
    www.windowsserv.com Email: mail@windowsserv.com

Quote Originally Posted by sam_cogan
    Leaving your server without AV leaves it open to all sorts of issues if you are allowing other people to upload to it.
    Not necessarily. Uploading itself doesnt do any harm. That would only occur by letting excute any uploaded files, which would be anything but recommendable.

Trend Micro SMB works great.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRaul
    Do not follow this advice. It is just plain stupid.

What you need to do is find a product like symantec or trend that allows you to specify what not to scan. Check the features list for exclusions list. Do not scan directories where you keep db tables, trans logs, log files, map files etc... Basically anything you can properly lock down via security and where only an application writes to. If you don't know how to do that get an admin to help you. It's easy if you take a few minutes though.

I have large oracle and MS SQL db servers running with AV on it with the proper exclusions and no issue at all.

O really the stupidity there is that thinking running an AV in that way will make you more "protected". The mostly likely place for an virus to appear will be in the folders where db tables are stored on the database server. As the database is the only service running on a dedicated database machine.

AV wont protect you from php or asp hacking scripts on your webserver. AV is designed to protect you from untrusted binaires.

If you only run trusted binaires on your webserver (and dont websurf) you dont need AV. In fact you are better not having AV. Thinking you are protected from everything by your AV when you are not is more dangerous than not being protected.

I am getting such a chuckle out of this thread.

We use Symantec Corporate but Trend Micro is really good too. SAV can be expensive but I think it's worth it as I have worked with it for over 5 years and no problems at this point yet... Stay away from Norton though, some versions can do a lot of damage to your system.

Quote Originally Posted by doc_flabby
    O really the stupidity there is that thinking running an AV in that way will make you more "protected". The mostly likely place for an virus to appear will be in the folders where db tables are stored on the database server. As the database is the only service running on a dedicated database machine.

AV wont protect you from php or asp hacking scripts on your webserver. AV is designed to protect you from untrusted binaires.

If you only run trusted binaires on your webserver (and dont websurf) you dont need AV. In fact you are better not having AV. Thinking you are protected from everything by your AV when you are not is more dangerous than not being protected.
    I guess this sums it up.

While an anti virus application is a recommended utility for a desktop machine (especially if unexperienced users are using the machine), it isnt a must for a server. A server is a typical environment where only trusted applications are run and in such a case it is not a real necessity to run a scanner.

I disagree with the statement that a production server does not require antivirus for a couple of reasons.

1 EMail handling
    You should be scanning your email for virus's

2 User Space
    Even though a user may not be able to run applications directly on your server there are asp/php scripts out there that will execute binaries on a server.

3 Network Virus's
    This is a given, What happens when you neighbor at the DC get's a worm/virus?

4 Best Practices
    Running any type of machine without antivirus is just asking for trouble and everyone knows this. That is why we are having this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by keepr
    1 EMail handling
    You should be scanning your email for virus's
    This depends first of all, whether you offer any email service. Second this is a compeletely other type of scanning.

2 User Space
    Even though a user may not be able to run applications directly on your server there are asp/php scripts out there that will execute binaries on a server.
    Again this depends on which services you are offering. If you have your servers open to third-parties and allow them to execute binaries you actually might execute a virus, however in a properly configured system it should not be able to compromise the system.

3 Network Virus's
    This is a given, What happens when you neighbor at the DC get's a worm/virus?
    Then first your system would need to be vulnerable to it as well. Secondly most anti virus applications do not cover buffer-overflow attacks like it was used to attack IIS 6.

4 Best Practices
    Running any type of machine without antivirus is just asking for trouble and everyone knows this. That is why we are having this debate.
    On a desktop without question (especially if it is used by an unexperienced user), on a server it highly depends but is not an absolute necessity.

Yeah, there is no need to install AV on a server, especially on database servers. You can understand it if you have ever worked on servers using huge MSSQL/Oracle databases, it will REALLY AFFECT the server performance.
    Senior Server Administrator

For gods sake Configure your antivirus correctly instead of running around without a condom!

That's Funny I am not having any problems on My SQL server...

http://www.imageshere.net/images/jdv1164727950x.png

BTW that Icon in the systray is Trend Micro for SMB
    Last edited by Dave W; 11-28-2006 at 11:33 AM.

Here is a Terminal Server with 22 connected users all working on the system and it's running Trend SMB without issue.

http://www.imageshere.net/images/bwy1164728425q.png

All I am trying to say is that the people who really do this stuff for a living run AV on servers.

In your examples you are having four respectively eight processors which is definitely not going to make virus scanning more difficult or drags down the performances. A single CPU is a completely other issue.

All I am trying to say is that the people who really do this stuff for a living run AV on servers.
    Some of these certainly will but not the majority.

I dont know why I am arguing with people on wht so much this week...