Thread: php pdo?

php pdo?

How do I enable php pdo on a cpanel box? Is this a good idea or any downside to enabling this?

Actually pdo-mysql is what I need enabled. I have mysql 5

You can't add it using the apache build system at the moment. It is available in their new Apache 2 system, but that isn't stable yet. The only option is to compile it manually.
    David

How do I compile it manually?

Instructions are in the PHP manual at http://www.php.net/pdo
    David

This is a cpanel box, I cannot do that.

You can. You just download and compile it into Apache as would normally. You can grab the ./configure line from the cPanel build from a phpinfo() file.
    David

What do you mean grab the configure line? What about the other modules? I do not know how to compile via command line to be honest

If you don't know how to compile via the command line I might question why you are managing your own server. Perhaps you should e-mail your data centre and see if they can do it for you, or hire a server admin company to handle it.
    David

No reason to question why I manage my own server. Cpanel has a built in apache compiler, that is why I don't compile via command line

Can someone please give me an example command to run on a cpanel/centos box to enable pdo, gd, freetype, php 5, phpsuexec, mbstring, curl, curlssl, mcrypt?

If you want the same as you have currently you'll need to copy the ./configure line from a phpinfo() file on your server. That will have all the correct paths etc. Then you can add --with-pdo and --with-pdo-mysql
    David

This is what I see (I also added the pdo info at the end):

'./configure' '--prefix=/usr' '--with-xml' '--with-mm' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--with-curl' '--with-dom' '--with-dom-xslt' '--with-dom-exslt' '--enable-exif' '--with-swf=/usr/local/flash' '--enable-ftp' '--with-gd' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6' '--with-gettext' '--with-iconv' '--with-imap=/usr/local/imap-2004g' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-mbstr-enc-trans' '--enable-mbregex' '--with-mcrypt' '--with-mhash' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--with-mm' '--with-mysqli' '--with-mysql=/usr' '--with-openssl' '--enable-discard-path' '--with-pdflib' '--with-pear' '--with-pgsql=/usr' '--with-pspell' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-track-vars' '--with-ttf' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--enable-versioning' '--with-zip' '--with-zlib' '--with-pdo' --with-pdo-mysql'

Do I simply run this anywhere in command prompt?

You need to download a copy of PHP and then extract and run it from the extraction location. Also you missed a ' from the beginning of the --with-pdo-mysql. See the manual for instructions on compiling and installing.
    David

This is a cpanel box and php is already there. What to do from here?

It doesn't matter about the cPanel PHP build - your build will overwrite it when you run make install at the end of the setup process. Just follow the instructions as described in the PHP Manual for your OS.
    David