Can search engines index documents in password protected directories?

I need to give my clients acccess to a repository of documents that they can update with new ones. My first option is to list the documents in a php script that requires a password for the list to be seen, after putting the documents encrypted (via MS Word encrytion) in that server folder and asking them to encrypt any new upload.

So as they can also update the list I need to teach them how to encrypt the documents.

It would be easier if they are granted acccess (through directory protection) and they don't need to encrypt the docs but I am afraid that if the docs are not encrypted they can appear in some search engine index available to anyone.

Other thing is if the directory is password protected, would they need to write the password twice? One to see the list and other if they can add a document??

Thanks

Search engines would not have access to these files unless they had the password for them. If you password protect one file/directory, anything in that file can only be seen if the password is provided. You don't need to password protect each one, although you could.
    GeekDub Hosting, Reseller, VPS and more! ●

You do not require passwords to protect Search engines snooping around, just define a robots.txt and block their access to that folder.

robots.txt:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /dir/to/hide
    Put that in your main directory (not where the files would be hosted).

Example: If the folder you'd like to restrict is domain.com/hidden/, your robots.txt file would look something like this:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /hidden/

Robots.txt is obeyed by willing search engines but does it prevent access to other...

search engines which want to get in and index files anyway??

Do note that if you decide to go for robots, search engine will still crawl but till today i have yet seen my files that I block on robots appearing in search engine.

Alternatively, you can also use meta tag such as this:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">

on every page you wish not to be index

Quote Originally Posted by cftranslate
    I need to give my clients acccess to a repository of documents that they can update with new ones. My first option is to list the documents in a php script that requires a password for the list to be seen, after putting the documents encrypted (via MS Word encrytion) in that server folder and asking them to encrypt any new upload.

So as they can also update the list I need to teach them how to encrypt the documents.

It would be easier if they are granted acccess (through directory protection) and they don't need to encrypt the docs but I am afraid that if the docs are not encrypted they can appear in some search engine index available to anyone.

Other thing is if the directory is password protected, would they need to write the password twice? One to see the list and other if they can add a document??

Thanks
    Maybe you need to get help from skilled programmer. freelance maybe the best site to try.

A bot (like google bot) cannot see a folder that is locked with a password.
    GeekDub Hosting, Reseller, VPS and more! ●