View Poll Results: Which is better Celeron or Duron?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1G Celeron

27 47.37%
  • 1G Duron

30 52.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which is better - Celeron or Duron

Hello fellow geeks,
    I have no experience with this machines 1G celeron and 1G duron, so whois better?

I personally wouldn't use either in a server, but I voted Celeron.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

I voted Celeron, but I wouldn't use either as a server. I would go for a PIII.

I have now decided to stick with 'Intel' servers, let it be a Pentium chip or a Celeron, it's really just personal choice though. I believe that Intel processors are more reliable than AMD processors, Intel ones are also cooler, and in a server environment that's very important. Also, Robert Marsh's (HeadSurfer, Rackshack.net owner) post that he made a few days ago giving us an update mentioned that he's no longer using AMD processors and going to stick with his Intel range as he had many problems with AMD, mainly the temperature.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

Originally posted by rochen
    I voted Celeron, but I wouldn't use either as a server. I would go for a PIII.
    You mean like PIII 1G vs Celeron 1G? whats the difference? they are both intel anyway.

Originally posted by jeffrylee

You mean like PIII 1G vs Celeron 1G? whats the difference? they are both intel anyway.
    A PIII 1GHz is more powerful than a Celeron 1GHz. The Cerleron is Intel's cheaper version and not as good, it's the Intel budget processor I guess .

To add to my post above, I would also prefer to use Intel PIII processors now, in a dual configuration of course.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

Once you got to the Celeron 1.3, it included the 100 Mhz front side bus as well as a 256k cache.

The 1 GHZ P III, has this as well. (100 MHZ FSB and 256k Cache)

When Intel decided to end of life the P III, it added back some of the capabilities of the Celeron that it had stripped away.

The Celeron and the P III are essentially built on the same platform.

As the owner of a few thousand of each, AMD and Intel, primarily Duron 1 GHZ and Celeron 1.3s, the Celeron is BY FAR a more stable product. It produces less heat and everything else in the server works better under cooler circumstances ... memory, hard drives, and the motherboard.

We found the failure rate on the XP 1900s too high due to heating even after we added substantial additional cooling and used fan/heatsinks that came with the processor. In fact, we pulled all unsold XPs and returned them to our vendor to be replaced with Celerons. The XPs that work, seem to work well but I'm not up for the hassle. Any that fail now are being replaced with Celeron 1.3s.

The Durons also had a heating problem but we were able to easily overcome that problem with additional case cooling. Now, when a Duron fails (as in chip or MB failure) , we replace that with a Celeron based system.

The Celeron systems have had a failure rate of less than 1/5th of 1%, similar to the failure rate of the Compaq DL 320s.

If I had it to do all over again, I would stick 100% with Intel based systems, as I am doing now.

My vote, a very LOUD Intel!
    Robert Marsh
    Head Surfer

Originally posted by headsurfer

We found the failure rate on the XP 1900s too high due to heating even after we added substantial additional cooling and used fan/heatsinks that came with the processor. In fact, we pulled all unsold XPs and returned them to our vendor to be replaced with Celerons. The XPs that work, seem to work well but I'm not up for the hassle. Any that fail now are being replaced with Celeron 1.3s.

So does this mean that you guys will come out with another great deal, like the xp 1900, except this time intel? any time soon?

I'd go with the Celeron, but give me a 486 and an OpenBSD bootdisk and I'll be happy.
    - joey

Re: Which is better - Celeron or Duron

Originally posted by jeffrylee
    Hello fellow geeks,
    I have no experience with this machines 1G celeron and 1G duron, so whois better?
    Hmmm... Are you talking about a desktop machine or server?

For a desktop, Duron all the way.
    For a server I wouldnt use a low-end chip, I would use a P3.

IMO
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

mmm... confused.. im convinced that intel celeron is better than Duron but Duron winning the votes 13 to 5.

The Duron 1ghz has 192kb of cache, while the CeleronA 1ghz has 256kb of cache (that little increase boasts a significant performance improvement). Furthermore, the CeleronA is based on a .13 micron technology, while the Duron is based on a .18 micron technology. This difference causes the CeleronA to use less electricity/generate less heat. In data centers with large numbers of servers, the difference in electrical usage as well as heat dissipation can make a big difference in terms of monthly electricity cost.
    Matt Mahvi
    Staminus, Infrastructure DDoS Protection and Appliances
    @ 200+ Gbps global ddos mitigation network. Local or Remote. Proxy, GRE, and direct cross connects.
    @ Available in Amsterdam, New York, Los Angeles and Orange County. Anycast BGP.

With me being and AMD fan, I am going to say Celeron. Durons get to hot, plain and simple, RackShack will not be offering anymore duron servers due to this.

AMD only!