Galaxy-Solutions.net - my thoughts

Hey guys, I recently been looking for a dedicated server to handle my counter-strike source server. When I signed up, Everything was fine except the speeds which I was promised better. Then once I finally got it up, Noone could join due to my server pinging around 1000+ ms. 20 minutes later the ping lowered to about 100-200 ms. But still even though some users could connect they would keep disconnecting.

My review in the short time I've been with them.

-Horrible speeds
    -Slow servers

If anyone ever thinks about signing up with them, think again. I dont want other people to be looking for deals and then falling into this.

BeDaDJ,

Thanks for the interesting feedback you have given us. But as stated in the support ticket thread you opened for a refund, you need to rephrase your wording, you was not promised, or guaranteed anything better than you have got, and our network is not slow, and has never in it’s existence been fully utilized, on further research of your problem it seems speed was not the issue in your case, as data was being transferred at a high speed from the server.

Please remember, that game servers are not only on the speed of the network, but the distance from the host and the clients, for example, I live in the UK, and if I try to connect to a game server that’s hosted in Ireland, I get a 100-200ms ping, now that’s nothing to do with the datacenter the server is hosted it, it’s due to the distance between me and the datacenter (and also my ISP). Seeing as we do not set limits on our end per server, and our connection was no where near fully utilized, it could be one of 2 problems;

1)The software you are using is not configured correctly, or you have other services running that are in conflict with the game server software.
    2)The 512MB of RAM you have cannot handle a 48 slot server.

On the Counter Strike website, and all other tutorials I can find, it recommends 512MB of RAM for a 30 slot server, and 1GB RAM for a 30-50 slot server, and as it is clear that it’s not our network (no limits per server, and not being fully utilized) it can only be a problem with your software or insufficient hardware.

We have clients running many game servers with many of them operating on 2-3GB's of RAM and a minimum of 1GB RAM, and they have no problems with lag at all, and praise our fast network speeds.

Regards,
    Richard Anderson
    Galaxy-Solutions, LLC
    Last edited by Richard-Buzz; 11-25-2006 at 10:52 AM.

You guys need to warn the customers, that these kind of problems will exist. I wasnt aware of these factors when I joined up otherwise it gives the impression that your more interested in financial gain then provideding a buisness that can be respected and utilized by the game serving community.

In conclusion I feel that this situation could be described as you operating in bad faith with respect to my situation.

game serving is more of an art than an exact science and is usually a best guess scenario. What speed is the machine in question

BeDaDJ,

We was not aware of which kind of game server you would be running, it could of been anything from a text based game to a MMORPG. We cannot advise on what we do not know. We leave it up to the client to decide what they want unless they come to us asking for advice (Which in this case, you did not, you had the server you wanted planned out already). I assumed you had already done the research on the RAM and CPU per slot of the game, etc., I assumed this because you had the server you wanted planned out already, but in this case, that had not happened.

Avail,

Nice to see a friendly face from FWS on here, the switch (or rather the expansion) to WHT is becoming quite daunting. The server this client is on, is our basic P4 server with the specifications below:

Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 Ghz
    512 MB DDR RAM
    80 GB SATA Storage
    1,000 GB Transfer
    5 IP Addresses

As stated in my first reply, we have many clients on our dual core p4 servers with 1GB RAM running more than 2 game servers, but RAM is a deciding factor, we had one client on 1GB RAM, yet the upgrade in the slots of one of his game servers, meant that they faced the same problem as the topic starter, upgrading the RAM sorted the problem.

Regards,
    Richard Anderson
    Galaxy-Solutions, LLC

The css series can indeed be a ram hog especially at higher slot counts. Also what clients generally do not take into consideration is that at the higher game server slot counts all the tweak settings are far more sensitive and you really have to dial things into to make everything run smooth for the clients.

thanks for the greetings rich and welcome to wht. I started here a long time before I trickled over to fws and There are a lot of good people here and it can be a rough crowd but knowledge is generally quite high over here on a wide variety of subjects

The 512MB Ram is just low for a gaming server.

Quote Originally Posted by AvailNetworks
    The css series can indeed be a ram hog especially at higher slot counts. Also what clients generally do not take into consideration is that at the higher game server slot counts all the tweak settings are far more sensitive and you really have to dial things into to make everything run smooth for the clients.

thanks for the greetings rich and welcome to wht. I started here a long time before I trickled over to fws and There are a lot of good people here and it can be a rough crowd but knowledge is generally quite high over here on a wide variety of subjects
    Thanks for the welcome Avail.

I have not looked into Game Servers much in the past, but I have to admit, I thought 512MB's of RAM per 30 slots was quite high.

BeDaDJ, if you wish to talk about expanding on your current RAM, Iím sure we can do you a discount; you can update your current support ticket, or start a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    The 512MB Ram is just low for a gaming server.
    Yes, itís low for a css server. I would recommend a minimum of 1GB RAM for a 48 slot server of a high detail and RAM/CPU intensive game.

Regards,
    Richard Anderson
    Galaxy-Solutions, LLC

Question...

Richard,

I tried to PM you but it looks like you don't accept them. So I'll just say it here. I'm quite impressed with the way you've handled yourself in this thread BTW. I just signed up with a host, but I'm still interested in one of your packages. Anyway, I'm not sure I understand your bandwidth upgrades.

My question is this: You have a "Permanent upgrade 2000GB block" for $35 per month. Is that an additional 2000GB or only an upgrade for servers with 1000GB bandwidth?
    ~morganix

Quote Originally Posted by morganix
    I tried to PM you but it looks like you don't accept them. So I'll just say it here. I'm quite impressed with the way you've handled yourself in this thread BTW. I just signed up with a host, but I'm still interested in one of your packages. Anyway, I'm not sure I understand your bandwidth upgrades.

My question is this: You have a "Permanent upgrade 2000GB block" for $35 per month. Is that an additional 2000GB or only an upgrade for servers with 1000GB bandwidth?
    Thanks morganix. Sorry about the PM problem, I think I require 5 posts on this forum to be able to send and receive private messages, which I have just reached on this post.

The Permanent upgrade of 2000GB would mean for $35/month extra, you would have 3000GB, rather than 1000GB.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAnderson
    Thanks morganix. Sorry about the PM problem, I think I require 5 posts on this forum to be able to send and receive private messages, which I have just reached on this post.

The Permanent upgrade of 2000GB would mean for $35/month extra, you would have 3000GB, rather than 1000GB.
    Still won't let me PM you... oh well. Anyway, How much for an extra 4000GB bandwidth? I'd be interested in special #2 with 5000GB bandwidth and a one-time upgrade to 1GB RAM.
    ~morganix

I wasnt even having a 48 slot. I was running a 24 slot and only 7 people were currently in it. They were all dropping out. I seriously doubt that it was a ram problem.

Without being disrespectful to the provider but their design looks very similar to SoftLayers, or is just just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Diegos
    Without being disrespectful to the provider but their design looks very similar to SoftLayers, or is just just me?
    None taken, we paid a web designer to create us a theme, and thatís what they came up with, they would not issue a refund on the basis of the problem with softlayer, so we where stuck with it. We have contacted softlayer and they have no problem with us using our current design, they where quite understanding to our situation.

Thanks for the explanation Richard

You paid a designer to do that? Your situation with that design is understandable..

Mind telling us who that designer is, so to know never to request a job from them?

My complaint has been hijacked, maybe one of your personal into a further advertising a server that is not providing a complete picture of the limitations of the server. I.E. A server host who's located in florida that can't provide a strong signal owned and operated by someone in england who admitted he had problems connecting to game servers in far locations. None of this was explained prior to my purchase. As far as im concerned, Im out $70 and I will let this be known to other people who are interested in expanding while looking for deals.
    I should have paid nothing since thats what I got!

you should have done your homework a bit more when choosing a provider. It sounds like you did not have adequate conversation with the sales department regarding what it takes to run a proper game server machine. With a game server machine there is much to think about other than price.

machine power (cpu ram)
    physical location
    bandwidth mixture
    operating system

If you are in europe then get a server in europe

I just want people to know, that they have horrible services and are a complete ripoff and to be wary that they are a bad host.

no machine will be good if you cut corners and buy an inadequate machine for your needs

Quote Originally Posted by BeDaDJ
    I just want people to know, that they have horrible services and are a complete ripoff and to be wary that they are a bad host.
    BeDaDJ,

The problem has been explained to you, yet you STILL blame us? I know you must be a little angry, but bad mouthing us will do no good.

Regards,
    Richard Anderson
    Galaxy-Solution, LLC

Makes me feel better about losing $70 bucks to a server for nothing, and as a warning to other naive people considering your service.

Makes me feel better about losing $70 bucks to a server for nothing, and as a warning to other naive people considering your service.
    There is nothing wrong with our servers, nor our service, like many of our clients, you could use the server for web hosting, or even resell it to someone else, there are many things you can do with a dedicated server.

I donít get what youíre trying to say, what are you warning people about?

They did nothing to you..

If I go and buy a manual transmission car, and ruin it because I do not know how to shift manually, should I blame the car lot for me ruining it? No.

Anyone who thinks about venturing into being a server owner, SHOULD HAVE SOME SORT OF KNOWLEDGE INTO WHAT THEY ARE DOING!

Ping and Latency is lesson #1 when it comes to game servers.

Hosts are not schools.. This is why they provide courses in networking and computer technology in university's. If you want to learn about what you're doing, go to school, and not expect someone paid $8 an hour to answer your questions to provide you your college education.

Quote Originally Posted by CEngine
    They did nothing to you..

If I go and buy a manual transmission car, and ruin it because I do not know how to shift manually, should I blame the car lot for me ruining it? No.

Anyone who thinks about venturing into being a server owner, SHOULD HAVE SOME SORT OF KNOWLEDGE INTO WHAT THEY ARE DOING!

Ping and Latency is lesson #1 when it comes to game servers.

Hosts are not schools.. This is why they provide courses in networking and computer technology in university's. If you want to learn about what you're doing, go to school, and not expect someone paid $8 an hour to answer your questions to provide you your college education.

Servers are not cars.

Clients are allowed to ask questions to their host. For you to compare and mention "schools" is just out of line.

My opinion on Galaxy-Solutions, FWIW

I realise it's a bit late in this thread, and the only reason I'm here is because they're having a network outage and I was wondering if anyone else had spotted it yet... I'm, basically, 100% happy with them. I have a dualcore P4 server that hosts www.freepbx.org, www.aussievoip.com, and a couple of other voice over IP related sites, and apart from the occasional outage, I have no problems what so ever.

When I originally signed up, as they were at the 'cheaper' end of the market, I did think that I was going to have no end of problems, but they've pretty much done exactly what you want a dedicated server company to do - supply the machine with power and an internet connection, and leave it alone after that! 8)

My original post about it was back here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=542462

(With my first whinge about outages, I just noticed, too)

--Rob

The data center had a temporary issue with one of the firewalls being down. The problem was corrected and all of the machines effected are now back up.

<<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 01-08-2007 at 06:51 AM.

Hah. See? Thanks, Sara. Once again, I'm a happy camper, and my users aren't whinging any more!

Thanks,

--Rob

(Edit: That' 'Hah. See?' was a happy response to quick support responses - I'm not whinging about the downtime, these things happen.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine

Servers are not cars.

Clients are allowed to ask questions to their host. For you to compare and mention "schools" is just out of line.
    The person I was reffering to, never asked the questions.. Therefore.. They aren't going to say anything if they aren't asked.

Neither were they asked about what latency is like. The OP I was quoting could have easily did a tracert to the datacenter and seen what the speeds were like.

I wasnt even having a 48 slot. I was running a 24 slot and only 7 people were currently in it. They were all dropping out. I seriously doubt that it was a ram problem.
    512mb ram is not sufficient for a gameserver. While you CAN run it, you will have problems end of story.
    Andrť Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

over stressing the cpu on counterstrike will lead to pings going through the roof.. and it will appear to look like lag. I run my source server with an athlon 64 5200+ AM2 with 4gb ram and it runs a heavily modified 48 player server perfectly, however before I had an xeon 3.0ghz and it wouldnt even do 38 withought judder.