I Need A Dedicated Server For Video

Hi everyone.. We have completed a web site for a movie which will be on cinemas across february and we have 4 movie clips in the site.. We are expecting a huge number of visitors. Alsoo we have other 30 domains which we are planning to build the web sites.. (shopping, friendship network) .. and so ... so which company should i choose to bu a dedicated server. The priority is to stream those clips fast.. thank you for your reccomendations..

You may want to use a CDN rather then a dedicated server if quality and speed are the criteria. With a CDN they will use geo-location to route the traffic to the closest servers, and will have multiple servers to handle peak demands.

If you want to use a dedicated server the issue will be that it is in only one location, and you will not have the capability to meet large 'flash' demands.

You need to quantify 'huge number of visitors' in order to size the server, and the uplink connection

well thanks.. but another criteria is.. we are also buildig an online shopping web site so security will be the next important thing.. what should i do please?

How much are you willing to spend on this? Money is going to become somewhat an issue from the looks of it, but if you're willing to spend a lot i'm sure we can help you find the fastest streamer which is secure as well...

I would say that you should set up a dedicated server for the shop and the friendship services you talked about, depending on the size and demand of this it shouldn't be a problem, and then set up the streaming server network independentable of that dedicated server... The webshop shouldn't be included in the steaming server network if you ask me, that only complicates things

Hey Psyc,

The site im opening dosent offer dedicated servers yet so i couldnt reccomend myself but, i would reccomend either INX-Gaming or PoundHost, they are both located in the BlueSquare Datacenter and i know for a fact that the uptime and network is amazing and ive visited the datacenter a few times to do some work on my server, and the datacenter is VERY secure and the staff are on the ball if you get my drift. I use the network myself through poundhost, and poundhosts support times are from what i remember are about a 10 minute response, which from personal experience is very fast. I dont know much about INX-Gaming but i can tell you that their servers are going to be running constantly, and they seem a pretty good company.

If you have any questions for INX, i believe olly, one of the owners is on this forum. [INX]-Olly, or [INX]Olly or something like that.

Hope this helped. Good luck finding your server.

Jay.

In my opinion, as Dennis Nugent has stated, and dedicated server in one location won't meet up with the speed requirements for a video such as yours. CDN is the way to go. As for the other sites, a single dedicated or VPS will do.

Whats the name of the film?

Dedicated server will much more security than share hosting(if you do be a good administrator)

i have to agree with fitesun on that.
    Thanks,
    Nathaniel
    Wholesale Direct International Sip Termination & UK Numbering (DID's/DDI's)
    Over 250 Direct Interconnects with guarnateed CLI/FAX | SIP & TDM Interconnectivity
    http://wholesale.alohatelecom.co.uk | Instant SIP Trunking at unbeatable rates http://www.voipyonder.com/

any "big" companies to recommend?

lol, I am having troubles understanding the meaning of big here
    Let's talk custom servers and reseller plans

CDNs

For CDNs we have had excellent luck with cachefly.com, and also use vitalstream.com, but it is rather costly. DVLabs is also an interesting play.

For our dedicated hosting we have been using carpathiahost.com.

I have good contacts at all 4 if you need.

S

Quote Originally Posted by Clock
    any "big" companies to recommend?
    You want "Medium" .. which is big company network, small company style service.

I highly recommend these guys :

http://www.thenynoc.com - The New York NOC. Ask for Andy. They do really well with custom needs and a bit of hand holding and really take an interest with what you're putting on their network (as they should).

Network is rock solid, prices competitive, service is bar none the best I've seen.

Best of luck!
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tinkertim
    You want "Medium" .. which is big company network, small company style service.

I highly recommend these guys :

http://www.thenynoc.com - The New York NOC. Ask for Andy. They do really well with custom needs and a bit of hand holding and really take an interest with what you're putting on their network (as they should).

Network is rock solid, prices competitive, service is bar none the best I've seen.

Best of luck!
    -Tim
    Forgot to mention (doh) tell Andy you're interested in a lighttpd cluster, but have a few (lighter traffic) php/mysql sites that will need homes. He'll help you design and deploy something that can scale.

Mirroring to other countries based on geolocation data is extremely easy. http://www.maxmind.com offers a free DB (for geolocation) that would more than suit your purpose easily integrated into any solution.

Really depends on what countries in which the film will be marketed. You can always add more later, but can't recoup money on an under utilized network you spent a fortune on.

Andy can help you

Best,
    -Tim