Question Detailed explaination of of CVV "reject transaction" conditions?

Is it possible that someone could explain in more detail what the following CVV security/fraud values mean? (This is from our account.)

Reject Transaction If Card Code value...

1. Does NOT Match (N)
    2. Is NOT Processed (P)
    3. Should be on card, but is not indicated (S)
    4. Issuer is not certified or has not provided encryption key (U)

When exactly do these different conditions occur?

I understand the first one (Does not match), but the other ones are unclear to me, and I want to make sure I fully know what's going on so I can make sure we have our account configured correctly. (We've been getting some complaints recently from both existing/recurring customers and new customers of invalid transaction rejections..)

Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

New Jersey
    Honestly, you'll rarely, if ever (almost certainly never) see any but the first one.

But, if you are considering requiring a valid CVV code to approve a transaction, then check all options as they all essentially mean CVV did not match.

Unless you have a very high risk product or a high rate of chargebacks I don't recommend checking any of them. Just use the response as a part of your criteria for detecting fraud. CVV is good but flawed and too many false positives occur to use it rigidly.
    John Conde
    Merchant Account Services
    | IT'S HERE: Merchant Accounts 101 : Learn Everything About Merchant Accounts