Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

As far as cheap registrars are concerned, STAY AWAY from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Turner View Post
    As far as cheap registrars are concerned, STAY AWAY from them.
    Amen to that!

There ia always something wrong or a catch to the cheap ones!

Nice tut!

good suggestion about seperate domain names and hosting solutions

I almost forgot. I'm now stub formerly stu2.

Well. It's a new year (2010). I'm kinda surprised this thread has made it for two years now. All my original comments remain as true today as when they were written.

GoDaddy is still (by far) my favorite registrar (by far). 2nd is Name.com and lastly eNom.com. I've tried more than 75 Registrars/Resellers. These are definitely the best 3, imho. That's not to say some of the other Registrars are not good, or don't have a nice feature or two. But I'm slowly transferring all my remaining domains to GoDaddy. Should be (almost) complete within this year.

GoDaddy has far and away the best control panel. You can search for your domains in ways that are not possible with most other Registrars. Pricing is good. Especially if you belong to their Domain Discount Club. Which I highly recommend if you have a lot of domains there. Checking out has always been a pain at GoDaddy, but you do learn to checkout easily after a while.

GoDaddy's Preset-Profiles, a version of eNom's (formerly Bulk Register's) Magic Folders is great for synchronizing domain whois records and nameservers. Not as great as eNom's, but a must have if you have loads of domains.

I'd also hate to go back to using GoDaddy without an Account Manager. Help is only an email away. Because of my time differences, I get my replies the next morning. Which is quite ok with me.

Name.com has a streamlined control panel and superfast checkout. Help, when i've needed it has usually come from within a few minutes to 48hrs. My problems were resolved fast. I highly praise Name.com. I think they are great if you have 100 or so domains. Look for coupons or negotiate a better deal directly for better pricing. Free Private Whois is great if you want it. Free Google Apps, like GMail are also great if you use them. Personally, I don't use either.

As for eNom. I think they are still a great Registrar with a good control panel. Their Magic Folders are their best feature, imho. But I just feel their support has gone downhill and they always look after eNom's interest first over the domainers. I'd say they have become a bit "stale". They used to be my preferred Registrar, but not any longer.

Well I know this thread is about the Do's and Don'ts but there was some discussion about registrars. So I thought I'd add my opinions.

Happy New Year
    Signature Under Construction.

Too late to edit my post. Name.com Free Privacy works. Unlike many paid Privacy offering by Registrars. When you send an email to the privacy email address you get the email. GoDaddy's Privacy sucks, is very expensive, and doesn't work.

double post
    Last edited by stub; 01-09-2010 at 08:24 AM.

Oh no, my domain is registered with my web host. And that was the number 1 don't on this list! Haha!

Thanks for the tips, when I first started out I thought 3 word domain names were unique, but now I realize they are so easy to get they may not be an amazing choice.

if you are registering a domain name for a company make sure that the company is the owner of the domain, and the contact email in the WHOIS is the one of the company as well which will ALWAYS work(e.g. domains@mycompany.com). Too many examples of domains registered in the name of an ex-employee or the webdesigner

Thanx it's brought to light solutions to a few problems I've been having.

thanks for sharing...nice write up too....very informative as a newbie like me

I haven't been here in a while, so i'd just like to say, I'm still here and ready for any questions. As an aside, i've added Dynadot.com to my list of favorite registrars.

All very good points, though I have not seen any providers that offer email support on domains.

Name.com do. In fact most providers offer email support. eNom and Moniker not among them.

Nice tips! Never know charge back will be considered as scam before.

VERY good read. Thanks for the pointers.

You are all welcome.

oh my god! these points are so true! great that you have written and advised these! users will be very cautious after reading this i am sure!

1. Never get your domain registration from your web host. Even if it's free.
    What if u buy a domain and they offer u free hosting with it?

Don't take them up on their offer. Get your hosting elsewhere. Ask yourself.. Why would anybody offer you free hosting for an $8/yr domain registration?

I have a new preferred Registrar. Dynadot.com. They have the equivalent of eNom's Magic Folders or GoDaddy's Preset Profiles. Actually better than both of them.

Their Privacy is only $2 (or free for a Super Bulk Customer, like me). But the best thing about their privacy, is you retain your name in the whois and the rest of the contact info is private. This can then be manipulated to show your sales website, see whois for stuws.com for an example of what I'm talking about. Also privacy is added at Registration. The domain isn't first registered in your name and Privacy added later.

Their checkout can still be a tad lengthy for some things, unlike Name.com for example, but not as difficult to handle as GoDaddy's. For other things it's a 2-click operation. I'm about 2/3rds complete in transferring my domain portfolio. It will never be 100% complete. But I'm only about 6-12 months away from it being as complete as it will ever be.

You should look into whether you qualify for Bulk Pricing (spend $500/yr) or Super Bulk Pricing (spend $5000/yr). If you are spending at those levels, you get discounts on registrations/transfers/renewals, and it's a good idea to transfer the funds up front so that you are already recognized as a (Super) Bulk Customer from the beginning.

So currently my preferred Registrars are 1) Dynadot, 2) GoDaddy. That doesn't mean I don't like any of the others. You should checkout my thread here http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1034914 for my other Registrar reviews.
    Last edited by stub; 12-12-2011 at 01:21 AM.

I forgot to mention the prices. $9.75 for a .com plus $2 privacy is pretty cheap (not the cheapest around) you will pay for just 1 domain. Cheaper if you are a Bulk or Super Bulk Customer. Prices go up in January because of increases from the Registry.

do's and dont's

Dont's
    1. Don’t use excessive dashes in the domain name.
    2. Don’t use unrelated phrases in the domain name.

Do's
    1. Do use the primary keyword phrase in your domain name.
    2. Be as specific as possible for your keyword phrase
    3. Place the primary keyword phrase at the beginning of the domain name.

friends, i am new in this forum . i do not know much about domain and hosting.i want to redirect my domain name tanimsghostgossips.blogspot.com/ to tanimsghostgossips.com .how it will be possible. please help me.

Chargeback?

Just wondering, what is a "chargeback"?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123