Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 75
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,866

    The Do's & Dont's of Domain Registration

    In no particular order other than my own...

    1. Never get your domain registration from your web host. Even if it's free.

    If you get into a dispute with your webhost and they also administer your domain registration, the webhost will in all likelihood lock you out from your domains until the dispute is settled. If you have a separate registrar for your domain registrations and you get into a dispute with your webhost, you can simply sign up with another webhost and point your domains to their new home with little downtime. It's insurance. Well worth the couple of extra bucks a year.

    2) Renew your domains before they expire.

    The recommended policy is to renew your domains 1 month before they expire. Then, if there are any problems to iron out, you have the time to get them fixed without having to pressurized by looming Renewal and Redemption Dates, unresponsive registrars, etc

    3) Do your research. Read the registrar's ToS before signing up.

    All registrars are not made equal. Before deciding on a registrar you should do your research on each prospective registrar by reading forums like this one at WHT, google for "registrars-name complaints", by reading (and understanding) the registrars ToS. Try them out with 1 domain to get the feel of how you like the Control Panel, checkout, etc

    4) Never do a chargeback with domains in your account.

    All registrars consider a chargeback as fraud and will suspend your entire account until it's settled. So, in the event you desire to do a chargeback, transfer all your domains out to another registrar before initiating the chargeback.

    5) Don't use emails for support. Always use the registrar's ticketing system.

    Emails are an unreliable form of communication with your registrar. They are easy to ignore or to get lost. Some registrars hardly ever respond to emails. Look for the registrar's ticketing system and use that instead as a direct means of communicating with your registrar. It's usually found somewhere in their help system. Expect turnaround time to be 24-48hrs and longer over a weekend or holiday. Be polite and as clear and concise as possible.

    6) Be wary of deeply discounted domain registrations. There's always a catch.

    It costs registrars $6.25 for .com domain registrations. Anything under $6.75 has a high risk factor. That a whopping $0.50 for their overhead, administration and profit. Whew! no wonder they auction off our expired domains.

    In the words of one wise old bard "There is no best registrar, only the best registrar for you".
    Signature Under Construction.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    286
    Very nice write up. Nice read, thanks for the suggestion on the hosting registration.
    Albert Chen
    Designepic.com Bannerepic.com
    website & graphics design | Hosting
    aim/icq : achenxp | msn : albc15@hotmail.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,965
    I'll second that, but I have a few questions in regards, and this is from experience.

    My registrar is 1and1.

    In regards to point #2, 1and1 does not offer the service to renew the domain in advance, they do it automatically, is it really that bad? I mean they do send notifications 30 days in advance before the domain expires and they do warn it will be automatically renewed and they have renewed successfully.

    In regards to point #6, 1and1 charges $5.99 flat, till now I've haven't had any problems with 1and1. I have been with them since their debut back in 2003 in North America. So does this mean its OK to buy domains which are less that $6.25?

    More importantly, why would 1and1 take a loss of $0.26?
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clinton Country
    Posts
    108
    Some Registras use auto-renewel as a default but you can log into
    your account and cancel it.
    Then you can renew it yourself whenever you want to.

    Also Registras don't make their money from registering domains unless they're
    charging a high fee. They make their money on the other things they offer
    like Private Whois and hosting for example.

    I'm in the Domain Trader bizz and have over 3,500 domains scattered
    around in 23 different Registras. When I buy them on Ebay or a Domain
    Trader board they push them to my account which is free but I have to
    signup for an account in that Registra.
    If I don't resell it by renewel time I transfer it to Go Daddy, the reason is
    the 3 best Registras out there for support if you need it are Go Daddy,
    Netsol (Network Solutions) & Domainsite.com
    I don't recommend netsol for most as unless you have a Gold VIP acount
    you pay a fortune.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,965
    I dont mean to go offtopic here but I have always been curious. What is the kind of support you need from a domain registrar for DOMAINS once it is registered/transfered successfully?

    May be there are issues that I am not aware of or that the issue might have never appeared for me.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clinton Country
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Anantha
    I dont mean to go offtopic here but I have always been curious. What is the kind of support you need from a domain registrar for DOMAINS once it is registered/transfered successfully?

    May be there are issues that I am not aware of or that the issue might have never appeared for me.
    If you buy a Domain for yourself and don't plan on transfering it to another
    registra or selling it you don't really need support. You do need to know how
    to lock it, point the NS settings to where you want them for example or
    you'll need support to do.
    However when you're doing it in bulk or have alot of domains that you're
    transfering, selling, pushing ect **** happens and you need support to fix it.
    Example right now I bought a domain and it was pushed to me and in
    my Domain folder. But I can't add any of the Whois info because it
    doesn't have the transfer code AUTH-XXXXX and support has to
    be the one to but it in..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,965
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTown
    If you buy a Domain for yourself and don't plan on transfering it to another
    registra or selling it you don't really need support. You do need to know how
    to lock it, point the NS settings to where you want them for example or
    you'll need support to do.
    However when you're doing it in bulk or have alot of domains that you're
    transfering, selling, pushing ect **** happens and you need support to fix it.
    Example right now I bought a domain and it was pushed to me and in
    my Domain folder. But I can't add any of the Whois info because it
    doesn't have the transfer code AUTH-XXXXX and support has to
    be the one to but it in..
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. It seems if the control panel is simple and all the info is given, then its not really a need for support, its only when something out of the ordinary, like in your case the AUTH-XXXX not given, that would definitely need support.

    I have transferred out and into 1and1 in bulk and numerous times and havent really had any issues since they display the auth codes in the control panel.

    Its been a long time since I transfered but it seems now they have auth codes for .com and .net domains aswell, when I did a bulk transfer 3-4 years ago, I was asked to input auth code for only .org domains.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

  8. #8
    While #1 is in some cases true, it's not a must to have problems of such kind in all situations.

    I think most of these points can also apply to general hosting as well
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clinton Country
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Hesham
    While #1 is in some cases true, it's not a must to have problems of such kind in all situations.

    I think most of these points can also apply to general hosting as well
    Domains and Hosting are 2 different animals, the only thing hard to figure out
    in a Domain account is where they hid the Authorization Code, and the first
    time ya have to change the NS1 & 2 settings.
    What do ya do with the NS3 and NS4 domains that are always there?
    It's hard to understand ya just delete them because ya don't need them,
    the rest is self explanitory.

    Hosting and not having Support means ya have to master cPanel for example..
    That also is self explanatory but unless you have the knowledge of what things means ya F*Ked...

    All in all the 3 best Registras out there are GoDaddy, Domainsite.com
    and NetSol (Network Solutions). However unless you have Gold VIP
    status with Netsol they charge ya a left nut for domains..
    All in all tho for the novice ya can't beat GoDaddy...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,866
    Sorry. I don't check back on this forum nearly enough. I think ChiTown has answered all of your questions Anantha. I'm not a big consumer of webhosting services CaroNet, but yes, these points could equally apply to webhosting as well. As I said, I think #1 is basically for insurance. I'm sure that there a many happy customers of webhosting who get the registration as well from their webhost. This is all fine until something goes wrong. Maybe it's a dispute over billing or other services. Try transferring away after you're in a dispute with your webhost. It's very hard, maybe impossible. Like ChiTown, I own many domains over many registrars. I never want anybody other than myself or my registrar having access to my domains' control panel. I don't do resellers (like most webhosting companies), because it's another level who can poke around with your domains. I make 1 exception to that rule. NameCheap are an excellent reseller for eNom who behave more like a regular registrar.

    GoDaddy are a good registrar for beginners. They do have some onerous clauses in their ToS which make many a domainer shudder. Like they will suspend your domain if they get a complaint about spam or phishing coming from your domain. Even if it's not true. There are others, like charges if a third party makes a complaint to them about your domain for any reason whatever. I really like their control panel. It's easy to use. Support is good. Prices are right.
    Signature Under Construction.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clinton Country
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    Sorry. I don't check back on this forum nearly enough. I think ChiTown has answered all of your questions Anantha. I'm not a big consumer of webhosting services CaroNet, but yes, these points could equally apply to webhosting as well. As I said, I think #1 is basically for insurance. I'm sure that there a many happy customers of webhosting who get the registration as well from their webhost. This is all fine until something goes wrong. Maybe it's a dispute over billing or other services. Try transferring away after you're in a dispute with your webhost. It's very hard, maybe impossible. Like ChiTown, I own many domains over many registrars. I never want anybody other than myself or my registrar having access to my domains' control panel. I don't do resellers (like most webhosting companies), because it's another level who can poke around with your domains. I make 1 exception to that rule. NameCheap are an excellent reseller for eNom who behave more like a regular registrar.

    GoDaddy are a good registrar for beginners. They do have some onerous clauses in their ToS which make many a domainer shudder. Like they will suspend your domain if they get a complaint about spam or phishing coming from your domain. Even if it's not true. There are others, like charges if a third party makes a complaint to them about your domain for any reason whatever. I really like their control panel. It's easy to use. Support is good. Prices are right.
    Good reply,
    It's funny how some Registras write crap in their TOS and
    novices think it's written in stone.

    Like GoDaddy suspending a domain of mine over a complaint for spamming ect,
    they'd never do it because they know that I know they can't legaly.
    They'd email me or my Exec Account manager would call me on the phone
    about the complaint.

    Any complaint about spam, phishing, using unauthorized content ect has
    to be filed with your HOSTING co as they're the ones who are responsible
    for it being on the net.
    They in turn have to notify you and give you time to git rid of unauthorized
    content or explain the spam complaint, They can also check your logs..

    A registra has no legal right to, nor do they monitor domains and are
    not respinsible for their actions or content.
    They only act as the go between the party registering the domain and
    the authorized party handling that TLD.
    For them to delete or suspend any domain they need an order to
    do so from either ICANN or the authorized TLD controler.

    But most people think a sites TOS is the ultimate law and it ends there
    and unless you're in the Bizzz that depends on knowing what can
    legaly be done and what can't following their TOS is a good idea..

    One more quick comment, you should NEVER get a domain through your hosting co.
    It's like screwing a co-worker, ya never get your bread and meat at the same market!
    As long as he registers the domain it's in their name 99% of the time.
    And if he ever goes out of Biz or sells out to another hosting co which happens alot
    you'll wind up losing the domain as only the registered owner can renew it..
    Anytime anyone buys a domain make Damn sure it's in your name and the contact
    email and info is right.
    People lose domains because they change email addys and can't be contacted that
    a domain is expiring and just don't think about it till it's suspended..
    .









    d
    Last edited by ChiTown; 01-20-2007 at 09:08 PM.

  12. #12
    very interesting great read

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,866
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTown
    Any complaint about spam, phishing, using unauthorized content ect has
    to be filed with your HOSTING co as they're the ones who are responsible
    for it being on the net.
    They in turn have to notify you and give you time to git rid of unauthorized
    content or explain the spam complaint, They can also check your logs..
    If the complaint goes to GoDaddy. They suspend your domain and don't even notify you. They simply wait for you to notice your domain isn't resolving and for the screaming to start. I don't think they handle these situations well, AT ALL.
    Last edited by stub; 01-23-2007 at 04:34 AM.
    Signature Under Construction.

  14. #14
    For some reason I had completely missed this thread. Interesting, and great initial post. That's a very handy list of insights. Thanks for sharing.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTown
    It's funny how some Registras write crap in their TOS and
    novices think it's written in stone.
    No TOS or contract is written in stone. There are attorneys to litigate and judges to make rulings, however most users do not want the hassle or expense in litigating a verdict. The TOS is a good benchmark of what to expect if you choose not to litigate or file suit for relief from the registrar’s actions. It is simply easer to avoided that and do business with a registrar that does not impose or execute on unreasonable measures.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTown
    Like GoDaddy suspending a domain of mine over a complaint for spamming ect,
    they'd never do it because they know that I know they can't legaly.
    They'd email me or my Exec Account manager would call me on the phone
    about the complaint.
    GoDaddy has a proven track record of suspending domains for content and spamming without notice or fact-finding.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTown
    Any complaint about spam, phishing, using unauthorized content ect has
    to be filed with your HOSTING co as they're the ones who are responsible
    for it being on the net.
    It does not have to be, but is should be, however GoDaddy does not see it that way and there are countless complaints from domain owners of GoDaddy suspending their domains without warning or any due diligence. Additionally, not only has GoDaddy failed to warn the domain owner of a pending suspension so they could have an opportunity to correct the issue, GoDaddy never informed the domain owner even after the fact that their domain was suspended.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTown
    They in turn have to notify you and give you time to git rid of unauthorized
    content or explain the spam complaint, They can also check your logs.
    Responsible registers will do this, GoDaddy does not. A good example of GoDaddy’s draconian management and what you can expect as a customer of GoDaddy is the following statement from Christine Jones, GoDaddy general counsel. She is quoted as saying, “the company reserves the right to terminate your access to the services at any time, without notice, for any reason whatsoever.”

    Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    If the complaint goes to GoDaddy. They suspend your domain and don't even notify you. They simply wait for you to notice your domain isn't resolving and for the screaming to start. I don't think they handle these situations well, AT ALL.
    This is absolutely true, and very unfortunate for many now ex-GoDaddy Customers.
    Last edited by xhackr; 03-13-2007 at 02:23 PM.
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    In no particular order other than my own...

    1. Never get your domain registration from your web host. Even if it's free.

    If you get into a dispute with your webhost and they also administer your domain registration, the webhost will in all likelihood lock you out from your domains until the dispute is settled. If you have a separate registrar for your domain registrations and you get into a dispute with your webhost, you can simply sign up with another webhost and point your domains to their new home with little downtime. It's insurance. Well worth the couple of extra bucks a year.

    2) Renew your domains before they expire.

    The recommended policy is to renew your domains 1 month before they expire. Then, if there are any problems to iron out, you have the time to get them fixed without having to pressurized by looming Renewal and Redemption Dates, unresponsive registrars, etc

    3) Do your research. Read the registrar's ToS before signing up.

    All registrars are not made equal. Before deciding on a registrar you should do your research on each prospective registrar by reading forums like this one at WHT, google for "registrars-name complaints", by reading (and understanding) the registrars ToS. Try them out with 1 domain to get the feel of how you like the Control Panel, checkout, etc

    4) Never do a chargeback with domains in your account.

    All registrars consider a chargeback as fraud and will suspend your entire account until it's settled. So, in the event you desire to do a chargeback, transfer all your domains out to another registrar before initiating the chargeback.

    5) Don't use emails for support. Always use the registrar's ticketing system.

    Emails are an unreliable form of communication with your registrar. They are easy to ignore or to get lost. Some registrars hardly ever respond to emails. Look for the registrar's ticketing system and use that instead as a direct means of communicating with your registrar. It's usually found somewhere in their help system. Expect turnaround time to be 24-48hrs and longer over a weekend or holiday. Be polite and as clear and concise as possible.

    6) Be wary of deeply discounted domain registrations. There's always a catch.

    It costs registrars $6.25 for .com domain registrations. Anything under $6.75 has a high risk factor. That a whopping $0.50 for their overhead, administration and profit. Whew! no wonder they auction off our expired domains.

    In the words of one wise old bard "There is no best registrar, only the best registrar for you".
    All excellent advice. Good post - should be a sticky.
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    a planet
    Posts
    19
    4) Never do a chargeback with domains in your account.

    All registrars consider a chargeback as fraud and will suspend your entire account until it's settled. So, in the event you desire to do a chargeback, transfer all your domains out to another registrar before initiating the chargeback.


    That's really great advice, thank you!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clinton Country
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by xhackr
    No TOS or contract is written in stone. There are attorneys to litigate and judges to make rulings, however most users do not want the hassle or expense in litigating a verdict. The TOS is a good benchmark of what to expect if you choose not to litigate or file suit for relief from the registrar’s actions. It is simply easer to avoided that and do business with a registrar that does not impose or execute on unreasonable measures.



    GoDaddy has a proven track record of suspending domains for content and spamming without notice or fact-finding.



    It does not have to be, but is should be, however GoDaddy does not see it that way and there are countless complaints from domain owners of GoDaddy suspending their domains without warning or any due diligence. Additionally, not only has GoDaddy failed to warn the domain owner of a pending suspension so they could have an opportunity to correct the issue, GoDaddy never informed the domain owner even after the fact that their domain was suspended.



    Responsible registers will do this, GoDaddy does not. A good example of GoDaddy’s draconian management and what you can expect as a customer of GoDaddy is the following statement from Christine Jones, GoDaddy general counsel. She is quoted as saying, “the company reserves the right to terminate your access to the services at any time, without notice, for any reason whatsoever.”


    This is absolutely true, and very unfortunate for many now ex-GoDaddy Customers.
    This is silly, all these things you hear about GoDaddy and right away it's
    their fault.
    Any company that's as big as GD has to have some real fools for customers.
    But yet you believe them and the storys they brew up..

    All this hearsay picked up on the net from some unhappy camper and
    like most every tale added to everytime it's passed along from 1 board to
    the next is alot more harmful than helpful..
    And since alot of people like to feel important they use these unhappy
    comments to their own benefit..
    Picking apart my post with unproven stories from the crypt doesn't make
    what I posted any different, just questionable by the very people who
    asked in the first place.

    People lose domains everywhere and 99 percent of the time it's their
    stupidity for either hiding with a phony whois and not being able to be
    notified a domain is expiring or some other silly reason.

    If your intent is to come off like some Hero riding out of the sunset to prove
    I have no idea what I'm talking about and you're some authority on Registrars,
    ICANN and who knows what else you don't impress me 1 bit.
    And your knowledge of the Legalities involved leaves much to be desired.

    And taking things out or context like "QOUTE"
    "the company reserves the right to terminate your access to the
    services at any time, without notice, for any reason hatsoever.!"


    I have news for you, The Burger King you last feasted in can do the same thing!
    If any Business doesn't want you for a customer they can find a reason to say << removed >>
    BUT they can't take away a domain that THEY do NOT own..
    They can say take your domain and hit the door but that's the extent unless
    you owe them money..

    Now I have better things to do than have a pissing contest with someone
    << removed >> nor do I care to..
    However your outlook is that of someone who always takes the easy way
    instead or the right way.
    So you can believe whatever you want and whoever you want but keep
    the smoke in your yard..

    I feel sorry for anyone that goes through life with an outlook of Doom, why
    do you think I recommend GD?? I don't have any stock there, no affil link
    in my sig nor do I get a thanks from them..!
    I only have a few hundred domains at GD and have 10 times more at a few
    other registrars like Domainsite.com for 1.

    The sad thing is newbies and others ask questions and then believe what
    others post like that's the LAW of the land..

    So instead of picking apart this post with Facts from Milk Cartons and
    grade school Dropouts don't waste your time..
    You don't have to impress me and I doubt many others will wait impatiently
    for your words of wisdom..

    I was making $$$ on the net more than 11 years ago. In the last 4 years
    I've bought and sold over 2,400 domains and have around 4,000 right now.
    I bring this up for 1 reason, I have NEVER LOST or had a domain taken away
    from me!!
    That might not give me a God like status but it does kind of lean to the fact
    I just might know what I'm talking about once in awhile..

    I put my 2 cents in to the thread and people can believe whom they wish,
    from my standpoint I have nothing but wasted time in this thread from here on out so
    don't expect a reply to any "I heard this or I read this somewhere" BS.

    My comments are from actual use or knowledge NOT from unhappy people
    who screwed up. And instead of having the knowledge to get to the people
    who could help streighten things out they yell Fire and start disen the ones
    who could help..

    It's a shame when instead of using their brains people use their mouth..
    That's great if you're working the mens room at the Bus Depot but doesn't
    get many very far in todays world..
    But I must admit it is easier to blame someone else than look in the mirror
    most of the time, looking in the mirror scares some of them!

    Ad Finem
    Last edited by writespeak; 03-20-2007 at 10:03 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,634
    Thanks for the suggestions you mentioned.

    I guess I am getting alot from my $35.00 domain and $10.00 proxy.

  20. #20
    Wow! At last someone's trying to restore D's rep, but I think I''ve read so many horror threads about them here, that it's gonne take long time.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clinton Country
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by peruviantalk
    Thanks for the suggestions you mentioned.

    I guess I am getting alot from my $35.00 domain and $10.00 proxy.
    If you trully want to reg a domain for yourself and not for resale
    try Domainsite.com
    They're prices are good, support is great and they're probably one of if not the
    most honest reseller on the net..
    Checkum out sometimes..

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTown
    If you trully want to reg a domain for yourself and not for resale
    try Domainsite.com
    They're prices are good, support is great and they're probably one of if not the
    most honest reseller on the net..
    Checkum out sometimes..
    thanks i looked at them and they compared "register.com" which I am with paying the 35.00 the only thing i see in difference is the price but i can't complain register hasnt gave me any problems so i think ill just pay the extra because i know my domain(s) will be in good hands.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,866
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTown
    I have NEVER LOST or had a domain taken away from me!!
    I have about the same number of domains as you Chitown, and yes I've had a domain stolen from me. I don't feel privileged about it. But I've learn't from that experience. I still use the registrar who refused to file a transfer dispute for the recovery of my domain. Why? Well I'd use somebody else if there was a viable alternative, but there isn't.

    As for the quote of GoDaddy's General Counsel. I believe that to be true. It doesn't stop me doing business with GoDaddy, but it's certainly food for thought. I think xhackr's point is basically, GoDaddy have a track record of suspending domains and asking questions later. It's well documented. Again, if there were viable alternatives, I'd select them.

    The fact remains, that, afaik, there are probably only three viable alternatives for those domainers with 0000's of domains, eNom, Godaddy, Netsol. All the rest suck in terms of control panel and bulk domain management. I have issues about all three, but where do I go after them. Domainsite are ok for a few domains. I don't think there service is as good as you make out. Control panel isn't great. Moniker's control panel is for morons, even if their security is great.
    Last edited by stub; 03-19-2007 at 12:12 PM.
    Signature Under Construction.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,866
    Quote Originally Posted by peruviantalk
    thanks i looked at them and they compared "register.com" which I am with paying the 35.00 the only thing i see in difference is the price but i can't complain register hasnt gave me any problems so i think ill just pay the extra because i know my domain(s) will be in good hands.
    Register.com are a joke. You'd be much better off paying your $35 to Netsol, who have REAL support.
    Signature Under Construction.

  25. #25
    In response to point #1, I think this is probably the most important point to be drilled home, for this reason: having your domain and hosting at the same place can mean a single point of failure that will be hard for you to fix if the hosting company goes south. Here's a lesson:

    This happened to me last year when my hosting provider was DDOS'd for the better part of 2 weeks and they had to take their servers offline "indefinitely" and were eventually driven out of business. During the chaos, I had desperate hosting clients angry at me. I would have been able to quickly put up a new hosting account and upload my backup web files & databases to the new host, but the domains themselves were out of my control. Because the domains were registered through my hosting company, they weren't in my direct control, and there was no way I could easily change the DNS on them. I eventually had to communicate with the registrar and prove ownership of the domains so that I could change the DNS and eventually transfer out to my own domain management account.

    Ever since then I register my domains using my own domain management account, some place far from where my servers are. This makes it much easier should I need to change hosting providers for any of my domains in the future, and it's tidier to control all my domains in one place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. .cn registration - China domain registration services
    By hkwebhost in forum Domain Name Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 06:14 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 11:41 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 05:21 AM
  4. $9.10/yr Domain Registration (DNS Management + Private Registration, and more)
    By Jolly Works Hosting in forum Domain Name Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 04:07 AM
  5. Domain registration for brand / Bulk Registration?
    By wubwob in forum Domain Names
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 05:27 PM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •