Question How much RAM do I need?

Hey guys,

I've got a site running with 10-20 concurrent users on a forum at a time (more during peak hours), how much RAM would I need to maintain a lag free environment?

I'm also developing a multiplayer browser game as well (plan to release it on the same VPS) which will initially cater to under 50 players online at the same time.

Thanks for reading, feel free to PM me offers.

Note: I would host this on a reseller or shared server but I'm doing that right now and our host is restricting our resources.

Hi!
    Sadly..there is no such thing as a lag-free forum 100% of the time (cough! )
    even with multiple servers...much less a single vps. No..RAM has little to do with network lag. PHP and MYsql slow down server responses..especially if you are in a common every-single-page-has-to-be-generated syndrome in which I will never any truck with.

My first question: Must you have Cpanel? If you can get by without Cpanel..and something a little kinder on resources (Directadmin, webmin) then a 512MB RAM VPS may suffice..for awhile. To be honest..this seems like a job for a dedicated server...a small one...if you have real paying customers...and want to keep them.

I would also pay attention to network speed. Do tests...ask questions. Many put a cap on a 100Mbps card...so you'll never even see 10% of that sometimes.
    Also..do traceroutes from several different locations..and see network latency.

Good luck!

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

<< snip >> 265 VPS can handle hundreds of concurrent connections easley.
    Last edited by bear; 11-24-2006 at 10:22 PM.

if you are using apache you can use it without much memory

also you can setup memory mysql will use

it is easier to find 256MB memory VPS than 512MB one

most companies offer you easy step to other plan , so you can easily add more memory.

depends of your budget - if you earn 1000$ from your sites - you can probably easily spend 60$ for 512MB one...

My first question: Must you have Cpanel? If you can get by without Cpanel..and something a little kinder on resources (Directadmin, webmin) then a 512MB RAM VPS may suffice..for awhile. To be honest..this seems like a job for a dedicated server...a small one...if you have real paying customers...and want to keep them.
    I'm hoping for one with any control panel actually not specifically cPanel though. It's nice and all but I've read that it uses up a lot of the RAM on a VPS as well. I was thinking about trying out Plesk (with a cheap 10-30 domain license) but I've looked at other panels. I could probably live fine with Directadmin or Webmin though.

PHP and MYsql slow down server responses..especially if you are in a common every-single-page-has-to-be-generated syndrome in which I will never any truck with.
    Yeah, the forums are in that situation but I've been experimenting with caching results on the main website (outside of the forum). Hopefully, I'll figure out how to properly optimize MySQL in time for a January release.

depends of your budget - if you earn 1000$ from your sites - you can probably easily spend 60$ for 512MB one...
    It's good to see that 256MB RAM should work, I was getting a bit worried there with the pricing I saw for more haha. Sadly, we aren't earning that much yet. We're in the hundreds range at the moment coming from CD sales on Amazon/advertising/"premium memberships." I would love to get a small dedicated like bryonhost1 suggested but it'd have to be unmanaged and relatively low cost. We'd barely break even (at this stage) with a 40-50$ VPS :|

Can you guys suggest any hosting providers?

Right now I'm thinking I'd need something like the following:
    - 256MB RAM gauranteed with the power to burst to something higher.
    - 5 to 10 GB of space (I think the forums are about 1 or 2 gigs uncompressed right now, the main site is under a few megabytes, and the game is still small right now)
    - 100GB bandwidth to begin with (we're running on 30gb right now maximum)
    - control panel (cheapest most functional one though hoping for either plesk, directadmin), spamassasin would be nice but I'm thinking about piping our mail through gmail.
    - Also, do you guys have any idea on how much processing power I need or would "fair share" be acceptable?
    - 99.9% or 99.95% uptime/sla guarantee would be nice if I can find it.
    - unmanaged/self-serve but a helpdesk option is good.

Agree? Disagree? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi!
    Well..."fair share" is a joke in this industry. Not only will most hosts flat out refuse to even discuss allocations..even so..it is extremely complex..and I truly believe some hosts don't have a clue what those numbers mean at all.

However...if I were you..I would talk to powervps. They have experience with this..hosting very busy forums on vps's...and may be able to give you more insight
    on exactly what you need.

I can explain the numbers to people..but..some vps hosts..like godaddy..not only do not setup the VPS's per recommendations from us or openvz...but refuse to correct them. Bottom line: Go somewhere else.

Xen is suppose to be faster than openvz...however...I have had things fail on both xen and openvz/virtuozzo. I prefer openvz because I can at least *see* what I'm running out of...whereas with xen...not only can a user *not* see the allocations...but users have no user_beancounters to see exactly what went wrong. Perhaps a host can..I have no clue.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1) Don't ever agree to more than a month of service.

2) Get to know the host better. Explain to the host exactly what you want to do with the vps...and see what they say.

There is more...and I've covered that ground in other posts. Only with experience can you learn the differences between them..support levels..uptime..etc.

Oh..a few more things: Spamassassin is one of the biggest hogs of CPU and Plesk is not considered by most to be any more friendlier with resources than Cpanel.

I can't say for sure..because I've really had little contact with it.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Thanks for the headsup. I'll likely go with Directadmin (I like what I've seen in the demo). But yeah, I've also read that spamassasin pretty much ate the CPU as well, Google hosted email will probably help out a bit with spam anyway.

Thanks again, I'll look into PowerVPS but if anyone else has host suggestions or even offers, PM me.

512MB to the least.

Try to get the most ram towards what you can find and afford
    Your reading skill has increased by one point!
    computers are cool now OK!

The more ram, better results. 512mb - 640mb - 768mb would be fine.

Bye!