Thread: ftp problems

ftp problems

The FTP server is not running and could not be restarted. In the Server Desktop, try turning the FTP server off then on again to see if this corrects the problem. If the FTP server is still unable to start, try rebooting the server itself by clicking the Reboot Now button in the Power menu under System Settings. If the FTP server is still unable to start, please refer http://BlueQuartz.org/ for technical support.

Turned it off/on several times, rebooted and shut the server down but still the same...

Also does anyone know how I can setup name server via strongbolt?

This could be a problem with FTP, or simply a problem with Active Monitor.

1) Try ftp'ing to yourself (ftp localhost or ftp myhost.domain.com. Do you get a prompt? Can you login?

2) grep proftpd /var/log/messages -- Are there errors and do they give any clue to the problem?

3) run proftpd -n -d9 -- this will run the daemon from the command line, not disconnect, and print debug info.

If any of these work without error, there is either a config or active monitor problem.

Post the results here and we'll try to help.

Quote Originally Posted by gnetwerker
    This could be a problem with FTP, or simply a problem with Active Monitor.
    3) run proftpd -n -d9 -- this will run the daemon from the command line, not disconnect, and print debug info.
    I got this

[[email protected] ~]# proftpd -n -d9
    - mod_tls/2.0.7: using OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003
    - parsing '/etc/proftpd.conf' configuration
    - FS: using system open()
    - FS: using system read()
    - dispatching directive 'ServerName' to module mod_core
    - dispatching directive 'ServerType' to module mod_core
    - dispatching directive 'DeferWelcome' to module mod_core
    - dispatching directive 'DefaultServer' to module mod_core
    - dispatching directive 'DefaultRoot' to module mod_auth
    - dispatching directive 'Port' to module mod_core
    - dispatching directive 'Umask' to module mod_core
    - dispatching directive 'User' to module mod_core
    - dispatching auth request "getpwnam" to module mod_auth_file
    - dispatching auth request "getpwnam" to module mod_auth_unix
    - dispatching directive 'Group' to module mod_core
    - dispatching auth request "getgrnam" to module mod_auth_file
    - dispatching auth request "getgrnam" to module mod_auth_unix
    - dispatching directive 'PersistentPasswd' to module mod_auth_unix
    - dispatching directive '<Directory>' to module mod_core
    - <Directory />: adding section for resolved path '/'
    - dispatching directive 'AllowOverwrite' to module mod_xfer
    - dispatching directive '</Directory>' to module mod_core
    - dispatching directive '<Global>' to module mod_core
    - dispatching directive 'TimesGMT' to module mod_core
    - dispatching directive '</Global>' to module mod_core
    - dispatching directive 'MaxClients' to module mod_auth
    - FS: using system close()
    localhost -
    localhost - Config for ProFTPD:
    localhost - /
    localhost - AllowOverwrite
    localhost - Umask
    localhost - MaxClients
    localhost - TimesGMT
    localhost - DeferWelcome
    localhost - DefaultServer
    localhost - DefaultRoot
    localhost - DefaultRoot
    localhost - DefaultRoot
    localhost - DefaultRoot
    localhost - Umask
    localhost - UserID
    localhost - UserName
    localhost - GroupID
    localhost - GroupName
    localhost - MaxClients
    localhost - TimesGMT
    localhost - dispatching auth request "getgroups" to module mod_auth_file
    localhost - dispatching auth request "getgroups" to module mod_auth_unix
    localhost - SETUP PRIVS at main.c:2733
    localhost - ROOT PRIVS at main.c:1967
    localhost - RELINQUISH PRIVS at main.c:1974
    localhost - ROOT PRIVS at main.c:2260
    localhost - opening scoreboard '/var/run/proftpd/proftpd.scoreboard'
    localhost - RELINQUISH PRIVS at main.c:2288
    localhost - fatal: Socket operation on non-socket
    localhost - (Running from command line? Use `ServerType standalone' in config file!)

I also tried /etc/init.d/proftpd start but got this

[[email protected] ~]# /etc/init.d/proftpd start
    /etc/init.d/proftpd: line 25: [: =: unary operator expected
    Starting proftpd: localhost - fatal: Socket operation on non-socket
    localhost - (Running from command line? Use `ServerType standalone' in config file!)
    [FAILED]

The message fatal: Socket operation on non-socket is obviously the problem. It speaks to a problem in your networking setup, or possibly in /dev, but I'll have to look at the source code to find out what it is.

What is perhaps a clue is the error from "init.d/proftpd start" -- line 25 is the comparison ${NETWORK} = "no".

Please look in /etc/sysconfig/network and post the result here (you should blank out part of the IP address). It is possible that this file is corrupted or your network is not set up fully or correctly.

The message fatal: Socket operation on non-socket is obviously the problem. It speaks to a problem in your networking setup, or possibly in /dev, but I'll have to look at the source code to find out what it is.

What is perhaps a clue is the error from "init.d/proftpd start" -- line 25 is the comparison ${NETWORK} = "no".

Please look in /etc/sysconfig/network and post the result here (you should blank out part of the IP address). It is possible that this file is corrupted or your network is not set up fully or correctly.
    I was able to get in to /etc/sysconfig but thats all

You have MSN?
    Would be alot easier to talk there instead of clogging up the message board.
    Last edited by narley; 11-24-2006 at 10:22 PM.

If you don't have an /etc/sysconfig/network file, then your network is not set up and that is your problem. You need to go back through the network setup or else create on by hand. I will post one here if you ask (I'm at a connectivity fringe here -- U.S. Thanksgiving Day holiday and all).

Don't know what you mean by "MSN" (Microsoft Network?) but if you mean Instant Messagining, I don't generally do that -- recall that you're getting free advice here! One of the for-profit service folks would probably solve your problem in a few minutes, for US$100 or so. I don't want to compete with those guys, they're nasty! :-)

If you don't have an /etc/sysconfig/network file, then your network is not set up and that is your problem. You need to go back through the network setup or else create on by hand. I will post one here if you ask (I'm at a connectivity fringe here -- U.S. Thanksgiving Day holiday and all).

Don't know what you mean by "MSN" (Microsoft Network?) but if you mean Instant Messagining, I don't generally do that -- recall that you're getting free advice here! One of the for-profit service folks would probably solve your problem in a few minutes, for US$100 or so. I don't want to compete with those guys, they're nasty! :-)
    I've attached 3 pics of what is going on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails status.JPG   network.JPG   Ssh.jpg  
    Last edited by narley; 11-25-2006 at 11:38 AM.

Look at me! it's my first os and it's the best!

Also does anyone know how I can setup name server via strongbolt?
    Sounds like a strongbolt problem... I would expect those things to be working out of the box... I know the Standard RaQ systems would be running in about 30 minutes... Anyway you might want to try their forums since this sounds like a devel issue anyway...

Yeah,
    I dunno what it is, i am totally lost

Quote Originally Posted by narley
    I've attached 3 pics of what is going on.
    These screenshots don't really help, though there is one clue.

You have not setup your host/domain name, but left it "[email protected]". "locahost" is something of a reserved word for 127.0.0.1, and that might be your problem -- you may want to set this to a real host/domain.

You should post your /etc/sysconfig/network file, mine looks something like:
    Code:
    FORWARD_IPV4=false
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    HOSTNAME=myhost.mydomain.com
    NETWORKING=yes
    From your previous note, it looks like the value of "NETWORKING" might not be set.

Vis the previous comment, this is very unlikely to be a StrongBolt problem, and more likely that you have not setup the network fully. StrongBolt systems use essentially the same interface as old Cobalt Raq OS systems, but with newer and more robust Linux, Apache, PHP, MySql, Sendmail, and other components.

You can set up the name server through the DNS tabs that you show in one of your screenshots. Are you having a problem?

These screenshots don't really help, though there is one clue.

You have not setup your host/domain name, but left it "[email protected]". "locahost" is something of a reserved word for 127.0.0.1, and that might be your problem -- you may want to set this to a real host/domain.

You should post your /etc/sysconfig/network file, mine looks something like:
    Code:
    FORWARD_IPV4=false
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    HOSTNAME=myhost.mydomain.com
    NETWORKING=yes
    From your previous note, it looks like the value of "NETWORKING" might not be set.

Vis the previous comment, this is very unlikely to be a StrongBolt problem, and more likely that you have not setup the network fully. StrongBolt systems use essentially the same interface as old Cobalt Raq OS systems, but with newer and more robust Linux, Apache, PHP, MySql, Sendmail, and other components.

You can set up the name server through the DNS tabs that you show in one of your screenshots. Are you having a problem?
    Via SSH how do I get in to the network, I try cd network but it says it isnt a directory.

Via SSH how do I get in to the network, I try cd network but it says it isnt a directory.
    Its a file. Try cat /etc/sysconfig/network

You might also want to try cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

FORWARD_IPV4=false
    GATEWAY=
    HOSTNAME=www.mvdupe.org
    NETWORKING=yes
    [[email protected] ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    # /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    # generated by pperld /usr/sausalito/handlers/base/network/rewrite-ifcfg.pl
    #
    # 2.device = eth0
    # 2.ipaddr = 192.168.1.9
    # 2.netmask = 255.255.255.0
    # 2.enabled = 192.168.1.9
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=none
    ONBOOT=yes
    BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
    NETWORK=192.168.1.0
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    IPADDR=192.168.1.9
    USERCTL=no

Also how do you EDIT a file via SSH??
    Last edited by narley; 11-28-2006 at 09:56 AM.

OK, sorry, the socket error was a red herring, an artifact of simply running the server from the command line, and bizarrely the implemtation of /etc/init.d/proftpd tickles this bug as well.

Now you need to look in /etc/sysconfig and cat proftpd there. The line "disable =" should read "no". If it says "yes", then that is your problem.

If so, you brought this on by not running "yum update" after your installation. I should have asked this first: did you run yum -y update after you installed?

OK, sorry, the socket error was a red herring, an artifact of simply running the server from the command line, and bizarrely the implemtation of /etc/init.d/proftpd tickles this bug as well.

Now you need to look in /etc/sysconfig and cat proftpd there. The line "disable =" should read "no". If it says "yes", then that is your problem.

If so, you brought this on by not running "yum update" after your installation. I should have asked this first: did you run yum -y update after you installed?
    Got her working Thanks!

Regarding yum -y update I get this
    [[email protected] etc]# yum -y update
    Setting up Update Process
    Setting up repositories
    http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/ad...ata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
    Trying other mirror.
    Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: addons
    failure: repodata/repomd.xml from addons: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
    Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from addons: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

I cant even ping google.com or anthing .

If the os dosen't work out of the box you should get your money back! And honestly as many problems your having with simple things like ftp, I just can't imagine how bad a os it must be.

Get your MONEY BACK!

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/ad...ata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
    Trying other mirror.
    More seriously, regarding the error from yum, the yum repositories are frequently overloaded, so the temporary errors are common. However, if you don't have internet connectivity, then that is a completely distinct problem.

From the screenshots above it appears that you are running on a LAN with a local IP and have not set a gateway. Thus you have no route to the WAN. You need to set the gateway to the IP your router or firewall. With respect, this is an error "between operator and keyboard" :-), not a problem with the OS.
    Last edited by sirius; 11-29-2006 at 11:13 AM.

What I have is a router going through my pc I can access the server by typing in my ip address and I have created a few accounts and people can access it no problem.

Get Your Money Back!

like any software, it is not bug-free and needs
    one word.. HELP

and it has nothing to do with Cobalt RaQs.. not a thing...

You just don't understand that the RaQ4 os has been bug free for years... it's 20 minutes to a perfect running box...

not pay to fix weird bugs junk!

But you make money off weakbolt. don't you gnetwerker!
    Last edited by zeffie; 11-28-2006 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeffie
    You just don't understand that the RaQ4 os has been bug free for years...
    Zeffie, if you believe that any software, much less the raq4 OS, is "bug free", you are <<deleted>>. The list of security holes in the raq4 version of sendmail alone is frightening.

But you make money off weakbolt. don't you gnetwerker!
    No, I don't have any affiliation with StrongBolt, nor with the non-profit CentOS+BlueQuartz groups, and I do not work servicing, selling, or repairing raq hardware or software. I have worked with Unix systems since the 1970s. I feel certain that this is both more and less than you can say.

But whatever your opinion, you should try to be helpful to the writer here and stay on-topic.
    Last edited by sirius; 11-29-2006 at 11:13 AM.

What I have is a router going through my pc I can access the server by typing in my ip address and I have created a few accounts and people can access it no problem.
    You may be able to do this with a port-forwarding setup on your router, but without a gateway address you will not be able to access the internet from a local LAN IP address. You should put your router's LAN address (on a 192.168.x.x subnet) in the gateway box on the network setup page.

If you can't ping www.google.com then either your gateway is wrong or your DNS servers are't setup. In the former you'll get a timeout or "network unreachable", in the latter case you'll see "unknown host google.com" or similar.

You may be able to do this with a port-forwarding setup on your router, but without a gateway address you will not be able to access the internet from a local LAN IP address. You should put your router's LAN address (on a 192.168.x.x subnet) in the gateway box on the network setup page.

If you can't ping www.google.com then either your gateway is wrong or your DNS servers are't setup. In the former you'll get a timeout or "network unreachable", in the latter case you'll see "unknown host google.com" or similar.
    Its already like that

Could someone just SSH in and do it for me because I am lost totally.
    Last edited by sirius; 11-29-2006 at 11:15 AM.

Could someone just SSH in and do it for me because I am lost totally.
    Sorry i couldn't help you.

These companies offer paid raq support services:

*www.raqtweak.com
    *www.raqport.com
    *www.osoffice.co.uk
    *www.rackaid.com
    *www.cobaltupport.com
    *www.raqshaq.com
    *www.nuonce.net
    *www.solarspeed.net

and probably dozens of others.
    Last edited by sirius; 11-29-2006 at 11:16 AM.

I'll tell you why strongbolt is a bad idea and why I don't support it later...
    Maybe both sides of this "debate" need to take a little time away from this thread, or at the very least stop arguing about this, and either help the OP or just suggest someone who can and move on. No one is getting anywhere like this, and if it keeps up, there's a pretty good chance it will be closed.

Do not buy Raqport, i did it and they never provided the service but Alex, kept the money of the service.

rolandolopez, what proof do you have of this?
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!