I personally did this on a Cpanel site. Got 2 scripts, one to create accounts on Cpanel and the other as a webmail interface
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

First off, you should first get a dedicated server. Most shared hosting company's do not allow you to run your own gmail, hotmail, ect... type site (assuming that's your goal).

Have a look at:
    http://www.lucidstorm.com/product.php?id=8

It will allow you to setup your own hotmail type service and works with cPanel.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

www.webhostingtalk.com/webmail would be where they coudl access their account. But you will have to set up their accounts before they can access them.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

I may have read the post wrong, but if you are looking to offer free email addresses to your users, you may want to take a look at HiveMail... To set it up with cpanel, you just need to set your catch-all email address and pipe it to the hivemail script. Anyway, full instructions are included with HiveMail.

You can look to gawab.com

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt
    I'd highly recommend staying away from that right now.

I wanted to just test it to see how the whole process worked. I transfered a throw away domain to them to run the office live test.

1 week after the transfer, i got an email from microsoft telling me that domain transfers do not work yet.

So now that domain is stuck at Melborne IT (who they are using). I can't get it transfered back because the requests go unanswered. And the domain does NOT work at live.com

Can you imagine how pissed someone would be if that were their business domain?

EDIT: hmm.. different service. this just uses a manual pointer. can't see how that could hurt anything actually
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Do read your hosting provider TOS if you plan to host the email service on a shared environment. Most hosting provider would state under their TOS banning you from running form of free service like free webhosting or in your case free webmail.

ACtually if you use the Live.com that's posted above, they wouldn't even know. but it does refer back to msn.

click the 'sign up' link and you'll see. mygsp.com is my domain

http://www.mygsp.com/mail.htm

Course it's a windows live id, not separate mail

By signing up for Windows Live, you will get a new e-mail account @mygsp.com. Your e-mail account will be provided by MSN Hotmail, a leading provider of free webmail. Your e-mail address is your Windows Live ID, which can also be used to access instant messaging and other services on the MSN and Windows Live network
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer