Thread: How to point?

How to point?

Hi

I got a situation which needs some help.

Let's say I bought a domain abcxyz.com from namecheap,
    then I point to my primary webhost, webhost1.com NS servers, which is for eg. ns1.webhost1.com , ns2.webhost1.com

then I got myself another webhost which is webhost2.com, now I want to point a subdomain of abcxyz.com, which is sub.abcxyz.com to webhost2.com.

What should I state for the domain for the 2nd webhost when registering? and how do I point to it? For eg. when the 2nd webhost NS are ns1.webhost2.com and ns2.webhost2.com

Thanks in advance

You wouldn't need WebHost2's NameServers. You would simply ask your primary host to setup an A record for sub.abcxyz.com that points to the IP Address of your other host.

The downside, if your Primary host's DNS server was down, both sites would appear to be down.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

I think it's better to use namecheap's DNS.

You can ask how to do that to your hosts, if you don't understand very well.
    It's not their business to tell you about how to do that, but a very nice host may guide you.

Otherwise, you can ask questions, here, and I'm sure someone running very nice kind hosting services would help you.

Basically, you just need to copy the same info as you find in the DNS control panel of Host A to the DNS of namecheap, and add the A record with the IP address of Host B's web server.