Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What does term "proxy site" mean?

I have seen some topics using this term. I don't know what does it mean. Can anybody explain?
    Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

The term proxy site is generally used to describe sites that allow you to surf anonymously.

Several examples:
    www.stupidcensorship.com
    www.hidemyass.com
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions
      0 Not allowed!

wht is this ... a hosting article ?????
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HostRefugee-Vince
    The term proxy site is generally used to describe sites that allow you to surf anonymously.

Several examples:
    www.stupidcensorship.com
    www.hidemyass.com
    Yeah, so if someone browses your website and signs up, the IP logged will be a proxy IP.
      0 Not allowed!

It is in general just another way to conenct to the internet. You pass through a proxy first which can either allow you to bypass filtering, be a content filter itself, or hide your IP (more or less). Check out Mod Proxy

Robert Davis
      0 Not allowed!

useful when you can't access youtube from work computer
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the info. I've always regarded Proxy as a 'spamming tool' not knowing exactly what it was. Now I know! and great idea about using it to browse 'some sites' at work
    It's all about Client Support
    www.Hostlings.net - Shared and Reseller Hosting

(cPanel + Fantastico + WHM + all the bells and
    whistles)
      0 Not allowed!

Why are/were proxy tools considered spamming tools?
      0 Not allowed!

Spamers shield their identity or source. They usually do this by taking over servers, computers, hijacking mail servers, or exploiting an e-mail account but often a proxy can be used to shield the spammers IP. It's typical for basic hacking programs to allow for proxy use as well. Proxies can be good (filters), bad (bypass filters) or ugly(malicious use).

Robert Davis
    Last edited by cyberdog; 03-06-2007 at 12:49 AM. Reason: typo
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by XMike14x
    Why are/were proxy tools considered spamming tools?
    is it??

as i know those anonymous online software, that hide your identity, usually connect to proxy site, then only connect to any website you visiting. thus you are behind the proxy.

i not sure proxy is used in email forwarding/spamming. as the port is not the same. there is no mail proxy as i know.
      0 Not allowed!

There are mail proxies but like I said before....it's an uncommon way to spam since it is still tracable.
      0 Not allowed!

i don't think that proxy sites are spamming tools. just know, that hosters don't like such sites, - > IMHO- they use a lot of cpu/memory
    Your Health Encyclopedia
    Medical and health consumer information resources containing comprehensive and unbiased information in patient-friendly language
      0 Not allowed!

Your computer ---> Restricted Internet(That hasnt blocked your proxy ---> Proxy Server ---> Unrestricted internet

Useful for school kids.
    -- Adam
      0 Not allowed!

How do you use it? I mean is it like a search engine?...
      0 Not allowed!

In fact, real IP may be traced even when visiting web sites via proxy server.
      0 Not allowed!

Another definition
    Proxy sites + adsense = huge income.

I know guys making $300 per month just with their proxy sites
    SunShell™ Hosting
    Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller,VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting since 2006
      0 Not allowed!

One more thing to be added..

Proxy sites eats more server resources (CPU and RAM) than your normal websites as of their nature. They fetch the things from another servers and give you via themselves.
    Vijay | sales@indianets.com
    indianets.com - Serving successfully since 2007
    Cheapest Multiple C-Class IP Hosting by indianets.com
    Reliable servers | Top Notch Support | Stable
      0 Not allowed!

hmm...

this thread's obviously in the wrong section of the forum lol.

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Unless it's a transparent proxy . Besides the above definitions, it can also be used to cache web resources inside a corporate or other network. For example, if 100 people pull up www.msn.com, it shows all those users a single copy, rather than going out to the Internet 100 separate times. The money saved can be substantial in those cases.
      0 Not allowed!

so proxies are different for different groups

for internet, proxies can share the burden of high traffic load of sites like msn, yahoo etc

for webmasters, they can make their owner upto $300 per month and usually consume too much ram, cpu, bandwidth and other resources.

for end user, they can hide their IP address and provide full access to internet bypassing all filters and bans.
    websiteson.com

WhatsApp +44 7527201709
    cam91967@myport.ac.uk
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdog View Post
    Spamers shield their identity or source. They usually do this by taking over servers, computers, hijacking mail servers, or exploiting an e-mail account but often a proxy can be used to shield the spammers IP. It's typical for basic hacking programs to allow for proxy use as well. Proxies can be good (filters), bad (bypass filters) or ugly(malicious use).

Robert Davis
    Does not matter, what hacker or who uses proxy, they are still identifiable via server logs , for example, since i am into proxy stuff more than ever . I have been contacted by Wikipedia on an occasion when someone posted a "Bomb Threat" using one of the proxy sites. Now that is some serious s**** right there !! Well all i had to do was go into server and checkout the url and ip accessing it on that particular hour of the day, provide Wiki the ip of the same, and be done. What happened to that person who posted the threat, only Wiki knows.

So, if you think you can get away with committing a crime using a proxy website, well not really, everything is logged !! But only problem any proxy host faces is their server provider being jerks when it comes to sorting out spamming issues before taking actions !! But proxy hosting or proxy sites are not fun to run ! Involves more work than you did imagine with running just another website.

Proxy sites can like mentioned above be used at work to bypass filters, but mostly are used by kids/school to get to youtube these days, hence they never die !! But each proxy domain losses traffic after 3 - 4 months for sure, and also revenues !! y ? well guess y ?

Cheers
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !
      0 Not allowed!

yups there are even javascripts that could draw out your real ip which is behind the proxy.. there are terms call proxy chaining.., but im not sure if it works.. yet to try it out..
      0 Not allowed!

School students use proxies the most, as usually schools try to block certain sites. I've seen sites where you can't do anything because it detected you're using a proxy. That's what I want to know: how do they tell if you're using a proxy or not? Is it some different IP type or something?
      0 Not allowed!

A script that lets you surf the web through the server's IP
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by qualityhostings View Post
    Another definition
    Proxy sites + adsense = huge income.

I know guys making $300 per month just with their proxy sites
    Wow. Thats something I had not thought of

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So how to make a proxy site??
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast