* How to use own nameservers

Hello

I have purchased a domain from Name Cheap and I am getting my own nameservers like

ns1.abc123.com
    ns2.abc123.com

I also have a dedicated server from UK Fast and I want to use my own nameservers instead of the ones provided by UK Fast.

My question is what needs to be done at the hosting end to use my own nameservers? Is this something difficult? Do I need to make changes at domain end or hosting end? Let's say if I ask UK Fast support to do this, will they be able to do it (hope it's not costly and very technical)

I believe you will need two IPs, either shared or dedicated, however I don't think it matters so long you have two IPs. You then use these IPs to add nameservers to your domain which in the end allow you to use your own nameservers.

If someone can confirm/add/own this post, please do
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

Yes....you need to setup the nameservers on the server first....then setup the nameservers at the domain registrar. When registering with the registrar, you will need the domain nameservers (ns1.domain.com etc) with the IP's for the server.

This then enables the domain registrar to forward requests to the IP addresses registered and then the server will resolve the domain request to the appropriate account setup on the server...

Hope this helps !

you don't actually need two IPs. you can assign multiple name servers using the same IP.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Hello hoster_poster,

If you are on a fully managed defecated server, they should most probably do this for you for no additional fee. Simply asked them to create ns1.abc123.com and ns2.abc123.com for you. Then they will provide you with 2 IP's and you will have to assign them to your domain at your registrar. Ex:

ns1.abc123.com - XX.47.12X.XX8
    ns2.abc123.com - XX.47.12X.XX9

You must create these nameservers at your domain registrar for abc123.com before you can use your private nameserver with your domains.

The following link will show you how its done at NameCheap:

http://namecheap.simplekb.com/displa...41&friendlyid=
    Last edited by SkyNetHosting; 11-24-2006 at 07:22 AM.
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    MyCompanyWeb™: Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

Thanks for the great help guys!! especially SkyNetHosting

One last question. Do I need dedicated IPs for nameservers or shared IP will work?

You can share the nameservers IPs
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

No I mean I need to map the IPs I get from my dedicated server provider with nameservers right? (as mentioned by SkyNetHosting above)

So I am asking if the IPs have to be dedicated or if I have a shared IP it will also work?

You said: setup DNS on server. As far as I understand I have to have spicial DNS sotware, isn't it? I read that NSs have to be located on different servers. What the wright way to create own DNSs?

Fisrt of all, sorry to barge in hoster_poster on your thread, but I am also intrested in knowing this.

Do you really need two ips to set up a custom nameserver? I thought you are able to do that on a single dedicated or shared ip?

You can. there is no need at all and no reason for 2 IPs if they are both going to be on the same server. The school of thought and reason for 2 is to have redundancy. two name servers on different machines. but since that's not happening it's mental masturbation to use different IPs.

You can also still use whatever the IP is for both shared or dedicated hosting. DNS and http are different protocols on different ports. they do not affect each other.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

If your running a forum or something that is updated by users other then you, then this would be pointless.

You could just one the main server and then if that goes down have the second or third name server point to another host and you can say the host is down ect.
    GeekDub Hosting, Reseller, VPS and more! ●

Hello hoster_poster,

If you are on a fully managed defecated server,
    It must be hard to manage that... when it comes to a whole server.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyNetHosting
    Hello hoster_poster,

If you are on a fully managed defecated server, they should most probably do this for you for no additional fee. Simply asked them to create ns1.abc123.com and ns2.abc123.com for you. Then they will provide you with 2 IP's and you will have to assign them to your domain at your registrar. Ex:

ns1.abc123.com - XX.47.12X.XX8
    ns2.abc123.com - XX.47.12X.XX9

You must create these nameservers at your domain registrar for abc123.com before you can use your private nameserver with your domains.

The following link will show you how its done at NameCheap:

http://namecheap.simplekb.com/displa...41&friendlyid=
    Just need to clarify one thing. You are saying that I need to ask my hosting provider to create ns1.abc123.com for me? (in bold above)
    Isn't this step to be taken at domain registrar's end rather than hosting? I mean I have one public IP from hosting provider, I simply log in to name cheap control panel and assign this IP to my name servers?

Your hosting provider will assign you 2 ips that you can use to register your Nameserver with Namecheap

Ok it means my dedicated hosting provider has nothing to do with it. It will just give me one or two IPs which I need to assign to my name servers in domain control panel. Then wait 24-72 hours and they will start working.

Like everybody said I can use single IP for both nameservers. Similarly I can use a shared IP instead of dedicated one and it will work too.

Everybody agreed!?