Can magnets mess up a computer?

My little sister was playing with magnets on my computer, and now everything is messed up. Everything runs slowly, and the disk drive makes weird noises. Can it be the magnets that messed it up?
    Albert Chen
    Designepic.com Bannerepic.com
    website & graphics design | Hosting
    aim/icq : achenxp | msn : [email protected]

they can screw up your hard drives very badly. you NEVER put magnets anywhere around a PC or monitor.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Depends how strong it was, but yes, since a hard disk relies on magnetism sticking a magnet next to it is not a great idea
    Steve

Actually, according to a magazine(pcmag or maximiumpc), unless the magnet is very strong, it will not harm a pcs harddrive. I am pretty sure it was PCMAG, but cannot remember which month.

Ahh, here it is, PC World:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,11...1/article.html

-Craig

Good link.

I didn't know that. I do know it will host a CRT screen. But we used magnetic devices to wipe hard drives when I managed a big deployment at Xerox. That's why I thought that. Must have been some strong suckers!

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    Good link.

I didn't know that. I do know it will host a CRT screen. But we used magnetic devices to wipe hard drives when I managed a big deployment at Xerox. That's why I thought that. Must have been some strong suckers!
    Yes but, what you used, was an electromagnet, like a transformer and not a magnet, per se.

No, a magnet, like your sister had, will not mess up your computer or your hard drive.
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

in my defense, I managed the project, I dind't do the actual work so i'm sure you're right.

I know from experience a magnet can mess up your monitor pretty badly. I used to have speakers right next to my monitor and after couple of years the monitor started changing to weird colors, and it would scroll halfway down, and so many stupid things, and finally it died one day. But yeah, CRT's + speakers on side doesn't work. I did have big low quality speakers, and cheap monitor, so if you have high quality stuff it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

Yeah the magnet messed up the hard drive on the dell laptop. We reordered a hard drive to replace it.
    Albert Chen
    Designepic.com Bannerepic.com
    website & graphics design | Hosting
    aim/icq : achenxp | msn : [email protected]

You were never supposed to put Floppy Disks ontop of your computer yet so many people did. So yes never mess around with magnets near a computer

..or allow little sisters with magnets near your computer.

YES - Magnets can also slow down your ELECTRIC METER good TIP right

Heh, funny story. I took apart a hard drive once to get those super strong neodyium magnets out. I played with them for a while, then stuck them in my pocket.

With my USB thumb drive...

Next time I try and plug it in, I get the dreaded "Windows does not recognize this USB Device".

I swung a 300 pound magnet attached to a crane used to lift 10,000 pound plates of steel within a foot of a computer back in Win 3.1 era as a test on that theory. It did nothing to the hard drive (a 50mb "state of the art" drive). It messed up the monitor pretty good though.

I have put a magnet, that can hold up a double A's battery, within the last 3 months on the computer motherboard just so that I can find it. It never mess up my computer. I won't be putting another magnet near my computer. Thank you for the advice.

magnets well **** up you HDD, FDD, RAM, flash cards, bios.
    a cool thing is to open a old hdd and take out the 2 very strong magnets.
    on new computers its the ram that dont like magnets

sure can mess up a computer.

this is another reason the power supply is usually far away from the hard drives. over time the lower power field fromt he power supply can damage the hard drives or cause curruption.

Most of the above posts were made by people who don't have a clue what they are talking about. To be safe, ignore this whole thread.
    But it works in IE!

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    Most of the above posts were made by people who don't have a clue what they are talking about. To be safe, ignore this whole thread.

LMAO .....
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

Not only just magnets, but placing anything that draws magnetic attraction could cause some serious harm to your computer too. A few years back I had a screwdriver next to my monitor and it would frequently phase out, and sometimes changing to a green/red/blue colour. The monitor works fine, it's just that it's display has a pretty defininitive green/red/blue outline!
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

1 thing i cannot understand is how a speaker can mess up a crt monitor but all tube tvs have speakers built in and that does not cause them to ruin, unless tvs are made different but i dont see why they would be.

Well a standard computer speaker is usually shielded to prevent damage to monitors, as they have magnets at the base of the speaker cone. Larger speakers, such as stereo ones, are not protected (thus resulting in a distorted picture)

I would imagine that a TV screen is built differently, or their speakers are shielded just like computer speakers.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Quote Originally Posted by moist towlette
    Heh, funny story. I took apart a hard drive once to get those super strong neodyium magnets out. I played with them for a while, then stuck them in my pocket.

With my USB thumb drive...

Next time I try and plug it in, I get the dreaded "Windows does not recognize this USB Device".

Magnets don't mess up usb drives or any flash drives as those are just chips with no movable parts. just the normal ATA drives can be messed up by magnets as they store 'magnetic data' unto the spinning disks within them
    It's all about Client Support
    www.Hostlings.net - Shared and Reseller Hosting

(cPanel + Fantastico + WHM + all the bells and
    whistles)

thats not 100% tru.... most ram chips dont like very stong magnet fild, i have broken 4 pens by viping them with a hdd magnet :/ , i not sure if its the flash part or any other part, but they well not work any more.

Recently I actually cleared my girlfriend's few month-long save game on her nintendo DS with my blackberry magnet.

Oops. The evening before I was jokingly mentioning I was going to delete her game too.. bad, bad timing.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

magnets... the magnets inside a harddrive are pretty strong suckers
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

The magnets in speakers are used to deflect the speaker cone which is attached to a coil. It is this coil that creates a strong magnetic field and not the magnetic. In any case, it can't possibly damage a monitor, nor flash memory, nor blackberries, not your brain cells...wait! I guess it can reading this thread.
    But it works in IE!

You should back up all your files and looking for another HD, your HD is near to the end/dead.
    As @Vortex-Steve says that HD rely on magnetism
    Your monitor could be affected and the quality of colors usually changes.

Ok, it's past 2months ago but this could help others:

Magnets can induce electricity to nearby coils of any nature. If your hard-drive is not messed up then it could be those small inductors in your circuit board that could have been induced with electricity - some magnets can overload a circuitry causing it to malfunction. It may be just a temperary phenomena. Turn off all electricity and remove the battery from your laptop. Leave it in a cool place overnight and connect back everything and see if it comes back to normal functioning.
    Oz

I know it affects HDDs, not sure about CPU; and other hardware.

Magnets can induce electricity to nearby coils of any nature.
    Only if the magnet or the coil is in motion.
    it could be those small inductors in your circuit board that could have been induced with electricity - some magnets can overload a circuitry causing it to malfunction.
    He forgot to mention only during nuclear explosions.
    Turn off all electricity and remove the battery from your laptop. Leave it in a cool place overnight and connect back everything and see if it comes back to normal functioning.
    You forgot to mention you need to put it in a brown paper bag, run out onto your front lawn and scream like a chicken.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post.
    But it works in IE!