Exclamation My Hivelocity experience

Good evening everybody! <-- I am starting to sound like Grover ...

First of all, a disclaimer. This is my personal experience with Hivelocity. Not everybody's experience are the same. And I do not expect them to be

After reading the thread found here, I decided to take the plunge. I called up their number and talked to a pleasant guy by the name of Drew Adams. He set me up with a server ($69 + $10 web edition) via paypal. I made my payment and was notified that the server will be up in 24 hours. That's fine by me. Need my sleep anyways

I recieved an email with my server details, I was happy. My plan was to use the server as a test bed for a game I am developing.

I ran the installer for SQL Server 2005 Express. You can find scant details here. Every time the installer ran, it crashed. I have never had this problem with any other dedicated server provider, so I contacted help desk via Live Chat. Vick R. received the chat, and have determined that a help desk ticket must be opened so they can look into it and see what's going on. No problem. I opened a ticket (#GRE-172889).

The response was extremely quick. Not more then 5 minutes later, I received a response from Jay, Sr. Systems Administrator, HiVelocity Engineering Dept. . My first thought was .. sweet. a Sr. Systems Admin. Always nice He stated that there will be an hourly fee of $65 with a one hour minimum for him to install SQL Server express ... He will need my IP and login details of the server, that part is understandable

I replied, I never mentioned a need for an install. Only for the server I was provisioned be fixed. His reply? In order for him to trouble shoot and fix the server I was provisioned, I would need to pay $65/hr. ....

At that moment, I had to sort my thoughts. Why would I need to pay to have the server fixed? I was provisioned a broken server, and now they want me to pay them to fix it? I do not understand this at all. I ended up writing a long response, trying to provide my point of view. There was never a reply.

Therefore, I had no choice but to cancel the order. After having the server only for a few hours. Granted, I have not had the server for long at all. But after being provisioned a broken server, then wanted to charge me to fix that .. it was unacceptable. Since I paid with Paypal, and Paypal is well known for it's inability to honor its' policies, I am out $79 bucks. But I did learn two valuable lessons.

1. Always use a credit card when ordering servers. That way, if you do not get what you ordered, you can charge back.
    2. Stay away from Hivelocity.

I have learned the above from the experience. I hope you have as well.

~ Shannara ~
    1. Mmmmm food...

I know it is not possible to run MSSQL server on web edition or limited edition for web edition version. I think hivelocity is unmanaged so its your responsibility to manage your server.I do not think its hivelocity's fault.

SQL Server 2005 Express can be deployed on Web Edition.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...w/web.mspx#E4D
    Host, YES!
    Reselling? Partner for profit instead!

I know for a fact that it is possible to run MSSQL Server 2005 Express Edition on Windows 2003 Web Edition. I have done so at other providers. This is directly from microsoft found at the following URLs:

3rd bullet under "Limitations": http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...rview/web.mspx

Under "Operating System Requirements": http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ntsSQL2005.htm
    1. Mmmmm food...

If you have a self-managed server it is up to you to get your software installed. Did you try doing anything else with the server? Are you under the impression the problem is hardware related? If so I can have it checked into. We normally run a hardware diagnostic if the symptoms justify. Shoot me an email if you want me to get anything checked into. I would like you to stay for longer than a month and get you developing that game.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support

I have created quite a stir, it seems. I have replied to the ticket, will keep people posted, because I do not want to give the wrong impression of hi velocity.
    1. Mmmmm food...

I ordered a server at Hivelocity last week and I didn't have such problem but I've got another.
    I had a big problem of packetloss, about 33-50% and I did test it form one of some of my servers in California, Texas and here on my compter in Quebec.
    I contacted the support a couple of time, the first time the guy said that it was because I had a 100mbits connection instead of the 10mbits that I paid for so he plugged me in a 10mbits port.
    The second time, just before I got angry, the guy asked for a traceroute and of course everything looked good, the server isn't unreachable then I pasted him 3 pings and he told me that he didn't understand and pasted me his ping result as follow :

Ping statistics for xx,xxx,xxx,xxx:
    Packets: Sent = 420, Received = 417, Lost = 3 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 0ms

Yes yes, you're right, he performed a lan ping and told me that I was a fool and everything was good...

So, I give them a 0/10 for the support but... The setup was fast and I've got a stronger computer than I ordered.

After some communication back and forth, it turned out to be a corrupt .net 2.0 on the machine which prevented the install. erk!

This is my public apologies to Hi Velocity. I am sorry for the stir I caused. I do not want anybody to have a bad impression of you guys due to my posts.
    1. Mmmmm food...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarbe
    I ordered a server at Hivelocity last week and I didn't have such problem but I've got another.
    I had a big problem of packetloss, about 33-50% and I did test it form one of some of my servers in California, Texas and here on my compter in Quebec.
    I contacted the support a couple of time, the first time the guy said that it was because I had a 100mbits connection instead of the 10mbits that I paid for so he plugged me in a 10mbits port.
    The second time, just before I got angry, the guy asked for a traceroute and of course everything looked good, the server isn't unreachable then I pasted him 3 pings and he told me that he didn't understand and pasted me his ping result as follow :

Ping statistics for xx,xxx,xxx,xxx:
    Packets: Sent = 420, Received = 417, Lost = 3 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 0ms

Yes yes, you're right, he performed a lan ping and told me that I was a fool and everything was good...

So, I give them a 0/10 for the support but... The setup was fast and I've got a stronger computer than I ordered.
    So you still have the server?
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Yes I do, after some more tickets, I finally got someone who cared and double checked, here's what he told me :

Again, the NIC settings were not set correctly on this server. I have set to 10baseT-FD, if you modify this you will create a duplex mismatch and latency will then start. Both the switch port and NIC are hard set to 10baseT-FD.
    So the initial configuration was faulty and it took me some hours to get help and wasted a little more than 7 days of hosting.

I took a server from them to test their services and no, we will discuss about this but I don't think that I am going to renew this server and take more servers from them....
    I may not have tried hard enough to get the support I needed, it's up to you.
    I still think that it could be an interesting bet since their prices are fairly cheap and their bandwidth seems to be good.
    Last edited by Rhubarbe; 02-16-2007 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannara
    After some communication back and forth, it turned out to be a corrupt .net 2.0 on the machine which prevented the install. erk!

This is my public apologies to Hi Velocity. I am sorry for the stir I caused. I do not want anybody to have a bad impression of you guys due to my posts.
    I am very happy to hear we were able to clear things up and get it worked out. You have my contact information should you need anything more.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support