Thread: set up vcr?

set up vcr?

I have recently recieve a directv satellite receiver [the color of it is silver]. It is already set up on my tv.
    How do I set up the vcr? The vcr seem to show pictures on either channel 3 or 4. The direct receiver show picture on the 'FRNT' channel through the A/V connection. That is the channel to watch dvd when a dvd player is connected.

I really want to tape something on Sunday so I am open to any suggestion. Whatever I tried before didn't work so any advice would be good. Thanks.
    Last edited by indiaberry; 11-23-2006 at 09:18 PM.

Tapes!!! Didn't know people still used them.

Anyway, you'll need to plug the receiver directly into the VCR, then the VCR into the TV. That way the VCR can record the signal on the way through. Unless of course your TV has a video output source, however that is unlikely, if however it does then take that output into the VCR.

Receiver > VCR > TV - Probably using a composite video cable, not sure what other connection types you have over there, here it would be SCART.
    Steve

I'll see if I can remember. I have directv but my unit is a TiVo it's an R-10

There should be different plugs in the back of the directv unit (if it's a dvr). If so, plug your VCR stuff into the 'auxillary' ports. should be rca or co-ax for all of it. If it's not a dvr and just a little tiny box I can't help.

If those instructions work, all you do is grab your peanut remote (those are so sucky) and press 'input' to get to the vcr stuff, then 'input' again to get back to TV
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

I'm guessing you have a DirectTV box and it has 2 scart sockets..

One should be for the TV and one for VCR, Plug the TV scart on DirectTV to the TV. Then the VCR scart on DirectTV to the VCR.

Should be able to tune in on an AV channel on the TV, the VCR will record anything thats playing on your DirectTV.

This is just a guess by the way, but this is how Sky works here in the UK.

it'd be best to make sure we're all talkin about the same unit. less confusing.

what is the box you're using? there should be a model number on the back if there isn't one on the front.

By the way, you can bypass that box completely too if you have a newer TV. just use whatever plugs the directv isn't using on the tv set itself. If' you're plugged into the s-video, or RCA cables just take a short co-ax and go from the vcr to the tv then you'd use your tv remote to press 'input' and switch between the two

Mine look exactly like this one here: Click

No, I didn't buy this off e-bay. The model number is D11-100

Yeah that's not a dvr. ignore my suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    Tapes!!! Didn't know people still used them.

Anyway, you'll need to plug the receiver directly into the VCR, then the VCR into the TV. That way the VCR can record the signal on the way through. Unless of course your TV has a video output source, however that is unlikely, if however it does then take that output into the VCR.

Receiver > VCR > TV - Probably using a composite video cable, not sure what other connection types you have over there, here it would be SCART.
    What channel should I set the tv to when connecting the vcr to the tv, and the receiver to the vcr? Should I use the a/v or the RF. Both my vcr and tv have port for the a/v and the rf.

Just use the composite video connectors for everything, the standard RF would mean you have to tune to a particular channel whereas with the composite connections in you should just be able to go through the input choices on the TV to find each signal.
    Steve

You should get one of those DirecTV DVRs. Much better than VCRs.

Oh man, I'll say. I've got the 80gb drive and I've never run out of room.

I rarely, if ever watch tv as it's broadcast. I record everything so I can skip the commercials. including sporting stuff that's played live. I just don't look for the results till aftter I watch

It literally changes the way you watch tv. completely.

I was able to set it up.
    Receiver to VCR to TV
    That is the same way I have set it up before but couldn't figure out why I kept getting that blue screen on the 'FRNT' channel. I went into to the vcr program and change the setting to 'Line'. And the blue screen was replaced with the movie/shows. And when I tried to change that setting back, the blue screen came back. So I change the vcr setting back to 'Line' and left it at that.

Now I can tape "the American Girl: Molly" on Sunday at 8 pm on the Disney channel.
    It seem that the only way I can tape something is if the receiver is currently on and at the specific channel I want to tape from. I wonder if I would be able to watch a different channel while taping another channel. Could someone offer me advice on how to do this?

We do have a new "dvd/vcr recorder" for me to use. [My family only started using this new one a few months ago. ] But I didn't want to use it. I perfer to use my vcr. This vcr is at least or about 5 years old. I kept this one in my room for years. I have had some stubborn time during the last 5 or so years about not wanting to replace this vcr with the newer vcr recorder. I think this vcr is better than newer vcr. The 'dvd/vcr recorder' is alright...I just perfer tape. Thanks for the suggestion to buy a DVR. Whatever money I can use to buy the DVR is going to next semester's school fee. Thanks again!

It seem that the only way I can tape something is if the receiver is currently on and at the specific channel I want to tape from. I wonder if I would be able to watch a different channel while taping another channel. Could someone offer me advice on how to do this?
    The receiver will only have one tuner in it to handle one channel at a time. The output you see on TV is the output your VCR is also seeing.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by indiaberry
    There are a couple of ways that you can achieve that. One would be to get a second receiver just for the VCR, then it could tape one channel while you watch another. Another option is to get a dual tuner receiver, one feed goes to the TV the other feed goes to the VCR. The easiest solution (although not the cheapest) is to get a dual tuner / DVR combo from direct tv. I have a similar setup from DISH and I can do exactly what you want (watch one channel while recording another) as well as do picture in picture.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Thank you for the advice! I like that idea: I could tape the american girl from the receiver in my room. And I could watch another show through another receiver, else where in my house. I like that idea.

My next concern come to getting the best picture. Would a dvd record a better picture than a tape? [Not that I am consider changing the recorder type] Which mode would show better version? SP LP or EP? I just want a good version of this. I already have Felicity and Samatha [the american girl] recorded on tape from last year but the tape doesn't show a good version. Well, I did record it when I didn't have cable. So I am playing to record it again.

A DVD will give much higher quality than a VCR. If you stick with the VCR go for SP for the best quality, just make sure the tape is long enough to record the entire show.
    Steve