Reseller vs Non-Reseller

Hi All,

I am most likely going for a re-seller type set up, but was wondering if you could all make suggestions if I were to host with my own hardware all the things I would need... Is one Linux box enough to start with and where do you purchase all that type of stuff... I'm assuming it's not done through your local computer store

Also what type of internet connection do you need? I'm assuming one that will not break so is a cable ok? Would you purchase a dedicated line maybe?

I thought this could help other people also...

Tony,

I think you are getting confused between dedicated server and virtual hosting server and hosting at home.

If you really want to host a site or many website, hosting using home connections are not recommended at all and infact a lot of ISP will not allow it.

I am no expert but buying a linux box is not enough. My suggestion is to get hold of (ie purchase) a virtual hosting account or a vps or a dedicated server on the net. And getting the latter two would require some knowledge of server management or would have to pay extra $$$ to pay for management service.

How about starting out with, what kind of budget do you have

So the latter would just mean getting a reseller account? Do you think it's better to start out this way and then if all goes well look at getting my own hardware?

Get a reseller plan from a good webhost, or buy a VPS or server.

Hosting at home is too messy and could end up costing more then the trouble is worth!

If you have the budget and the experience why not colocate your server? If not going for reseller account would do and upgrade to vps or dedicated server when there is demand for it

But essentially aren't the reseller plans VPS anyway? http://www.mediatemple.net/webhostin...osting-faq.htm

reseller plans are different VPS.

You can use a VPS plan to reseller but reseller plans are just virtual shared hosting plan that allows you to create lots of smaller accounts.

I do not think the OP has the ability/experience to go colocating or even renting a server.
    Roi

Generally you would want to stay away from trying to host from your house. It'll actually be cheaper if you get a reseller plan at first. Try that and if things go well you'll gain experience and can get your own equipment later when you have more clients.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

1. Get a reseller plan.
    2. Master it.
    3. Then get a small vps to practice managing a server.
    4. Master it.
    5. Buy a dedicated server (or rent)
    6. Master it.

This whole process will probably take you 2-3 years.
    Check out my new Chrome Extension - Server Admin Tool
    frustratedtech.com - Helpful Server Tech Advice