View Poll Results: Should WHT add a VOIP section?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Create a forum category for VOIP discussions. YES.

29 63.04%
  • No. Do not create a new forum category for VOIP discussions. NO.

17 36.96%

Time For a VoIP Section?

With convergence of the internet and traditional communication methods, isn't it time this place had a VoIP area?

Pretty soon file hosting and voice will be one - why not stay ahead of the game?
    * Matthew Park - Pentek Systems Limited
    * e: enquiries@pentek.co.uk t: +44(0)8458 671547

* Broadband - Domain Names - Webhosting - Voice Over IP - (Coming soon, North East UK colocation and high spec dedicated servers)
    * Zero overselling - Dual Xeon Servers with Minimum 4Gb RAM

Although it would be something I wouldn't be to active in, I would say it's a rather good idea to have a VoIP section. It would definetly attract a different crowd of people!

By the way, welcome the Forums! It's good to see such an inspired "newbie" to the forums.

Moved to WHT-Announcements, WHT-Feedback, WHT-Questions
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

I agree - I don't know much about VoIP and I think that would be a great way to expand WHT.

Whould be fantastic to have a voip section.

I'd definitely be interested in learning more about VoIP. What a better way than to add a section?

I am not sure how to vote. I know that such a well established community does already exist at http://www.voip-info.org.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

Added a poll.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I think it might fit, but more discussion should take place in existing forums before giving it it's own forum.

It seems like it would fit in computers & peripherals.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    Added a poll.
    Good idea

I have seen a quite few threads related to VoIP the past few months, mostly regarding how it works and how to get started in the business and so on. I don't think VoIP should get it's own category, but I think a sub-category should be good

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I don't think it's necessary...I think other communities exist that give a good in-depth knowledge of VoIP. You can just as easily visit those forums for information on just VoIP instead of WHT adding another section...

I noticed a lot of people here asking to know about VoIP, but how many will actually have an answer to all those questions? It seems most are just wondering and have questions but not many people around to provide sufficient advice..

Just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by stealthdevil
    I don't think it's necessary...I think other communities exist that give a good in-depth knowledge of VoIP. You can just as easily visit those forums for information on just VoIP instead of WHT adding another section...
    I agree with you on the fact that we don't want WHT to turn into Everything Internet Talk, having a forum for everything related to the internet. That would just be too many forums that not enough people would visit.

However, VoIP is one thing that I would like to see some more discussion on, as I myself know little about it and wouldn't mind learning.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthdevil
    I noticed a lot of people here asking to know about VoIP, but how many will actually have an answer to all those questions? It seems most are just wondering and have questions but not many people around to provide sufficient advice..
    As I just proved above, that might be true. I know we have a few VoIP experts around here, but not as many as we do Dedicated Server, Colocation, or VPS experts.

I am a bit divided about this, as I would like to see a VoIP forum (if anything just so I can learn from it), but I don't want to see WHT "cluttered" with forums. Then again, if we made the VoIP forum a sub forum, would it get any traffic at all?

Perhaps we could make the Management forum a Dedicated Server sub forum, and put the VoIP forum in the Main Forums section?

Alex

I don't think we need a forum for it just yet, it would be sad to see a forum maybe with 5 threads that get replies every 2 days.

Maybe we should try to ask questions about voIP on the existings forums, when it gets big then it may be a good idea to separate it.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

Might be a good idea... although, I'm not sure. I did vote "yes." Maybe you could turn the computer forum into computer/voip or something. Computers/Telecommunications or something.... I would dump some of those Tutorials sections that get no traffic... waste of space.

I disagree with saying there are many voip places... there are also several web places and computer places better than wht.... don't know if that argument really applies.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Doing a search for VOIP threads, there have been 16 threads in 4 months. Not really a need for a special forum just yet

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Doing a search for VOIP threads, there have been 16 threads in 4 months. Not really a need for a special forum just yet
    But it could stimulate discussions of VOIP -- I'll post my review of Vonage
    Big things coming soon

You never know, If people know its there then they might post more

I dont think VOIP needs its own forums in WHT. WHT stands for Web Hosting Talk... As far as I am concerned, VOIP doesnt deal with web hosting.

web hosting run's on servers, same as voip, so they both server talk in away

Yes!

Cheers,
    Beruska
    DevOps / VoIP Engineer / Linux System Engineer
    Available