Thumbs down Site5 sucks!!! What shall i do?

Hello friends,

I made a huuuuge mistake (or say biggest mistake) of my life by purchasing a hosting plan from Site5.com for 2 years

For the first 30 days, everything was fine, but afterwards they are as*****s
    For eg, few days back their mysql server was down for more than 48 hours, atlast i submitted a support ticket with them and they reponded back in 4 hours that issue was resolved in 1 hour only wtf!!

and now, two days back i submitted a support ticket with them to ask about domain (listed on their file), now today is 3rd day... still no reply from them

See this - http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ntitledcs0.jpg

Guys, please tell me what shall i do now..?? i say site5 is fraud no.1 on www
    Last edited by DPSR; 11-22-2006 at 11:34 PM.

i say site5 is fraud no.1
    I wouldn't nessecarily call Site5 fraud. Fraud would be a situation in which you paid for the service, and you did not receive your hosting account information (ex: login details) at all, and you were unable to get in contact with them... that's my opinon on that.

In any case, I have heard nothing but negative things and feedback regarding Site5 lately. In the beginning they seemed as to be everyone's "dream host" but apparently they are far from that. I'm sorry to hear that you are one of the many individuals that is not happy with the quality of service they provide. As always, if you are not happy with your current host... move away to a different one!

Don't you know if they can give you a proportional refund if you cancel the account with them?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Be sure that you have backups of all of the data you need first of all! This is a mistake that many make (not having recent backups) just in case Site5 has some kind of failure or decides to cancel your account early (etc..) once you take action.

As Jedito suggested, see if you can receive a partial refund for months that you did not use their service (after you have made backups). If you are unable to get a refund, let this serve as a valuable lesson to why you should research a host before purchasing and pay in smaller increments (although there are some exceptions).

Once you have started this process (or even before), you can find a new host and move your site there before you cancel your account so you can continue to have your site online with little or no downtime, but depending on the nature of your site, you may be able to do this after the fact.

Good luck in receiving a refund and finding a new host!
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

Quote Originally Posted by DPSR

Guys, please tell me what shall i do now..?? i say site5 is fraud no.1 on www

There isn't much you can do except, get your backups and move to another host

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are facing but it seems like Site5 has somehow to go downhill at a very fast pace and if they keep going the way they are, there won't be Site5 much longer.

Site1 is a big hosting company however it seems they really haven't been able to handle their growing pains. You can always give them an another chance or you can cut your losses and run. Frankly 48 hours of mysql downtime is unacceptable no matter what justification. Hopefully they have an SLA which can help you in getting atleast a partial refund.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

Ok, i think refund is not possible, will make a backup and then wait for some reply but till now no reply from them

I guess that you can, take a look to their FAQs

We like happy customers. If for some reason you're not satisfied with our service, let us know. We would love the chance to work with you to resolve any problems you experience, however if you'd rather just part ways, we will give your money back with no hassle.

If you cancel within 60 days of signing up, we will provide you with a full refund, otherwise we will issue a pro-rated refund for unused services.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Which country are Site5.com from? You said it is a fraud but you hosted your website there for 2 years already!?

Quote Originally Posted by hhheng
    Which country are Site5.com from? You said it is a fraud but you hosted your website there for 2 years already!?
    Site5 is in the USA.

And I guess what the OP meant by its a fraud is just something they recently turn into. There were not one before they went downhill.

Yes, rois is right. They were fine few months back.

I have shifted my one of my site to a new VPS but two sites are still on their server. So, i will try to ask for some refund or something else .... but all i can do is if they respond to my support ticket. Till now after 3days no reply from them. Now i will post on their forum, maybe then they will wakeup!

Post in their forum and get Steven or B&T to assist you in getting your ticket(s) read by the techies.

They offer 99.9% uptime. If they do not comply with their offer that would be misleading advertising which is illegal in the USA. So, I think they happily will refund your money (prorated of course).
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"

wow
    There is alot of this going on lately at site5. It is too bad that they are taking such a turn for the worse. I will be interested to see if you are able to obtain a refund.

They offer 99.9% uptime. If they do not comply with their offer that would be misleading advertising which is illegal in the USA. So, I think they happily will refund your money (prorated of course).
    Like all hosts, they offer just a monetary uptime guarantee. The exact amount of the refund will be dictated by the TOS. It may be prorated or otherwise. Frankly, prorated refunds in case of extended downtime are almost valueless.

May I ask what lead you to signing up with them? Was it the cheap prices or the completely ridiculous plans on their web site?

Make a backup and find a new web host.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    May I ask what lead you to signing up with them? Was it the cheap prices or the completely ridiculous plans on their web site?

Make a backup and find a new web host.
    I started a vbulletin community (fotorack.com) on site5 account and as a new webmaster i signed up for their hosting and for directly 2 years because they offer good amount of space, b/w and all other stuff at good price. What else, at that time i saw many good reviews about them on many sites... thats why i signedup

But afterwards, they said that your vb site is consumming too much mysql resources and they suggested to go for vps or dedicated server. and that's why afterwards i moved to VPS

---
    And to ask for refund or other stuff, what shall i do? can you please suggest something friends? About that 48 hrs of mysql downtime, the proof i have is only the support ticket that i opened at that time saying-- 'wake up site5 guys.... mysql server on my acc is down for 48hrs..do something'

------sorry------
    My mistake, just checked previous tickets... mysql downtime was 4 hrs not 48 hrs... very sorry!
    Last edited by DPSR; 11-23-2006 at 11:20 PM.

Hi WN-Ali,

Have an updated backup ready, look for a better host, upload your website there, check that every thing is working, change the DNSs, expect them to be propagated, verify that every thing is working.

If every thing is working send an email to [email protected] cancelling your account, explaining what happened, and asking for a prorated refund (or a full refund if your 60 day money back guarantee has not expired)

Good luck!
    Last edited by freeflyer; 11-23-2006 at 11:34 PM.
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"

Just out of curiosity how many concurrent users are using your forums at peak times.

Just wondering what site5 considers excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by keepr
    Just out of curiosity how many concurrent users are using your forums at peak times.

Just wondering what site5 considers excessive.
    I used to get these email (20email.... sometime 45 emails a day also) from my vbulletin-
    ------------------

Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User myurlin1_vb has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections
    /home/myurlin1/public_html/fotorack/includes/class_core.php on line 271

MySQL Error :
    Error Number :
    Date : Sunday, September 17th 2006 @ 04:23:29 AM
    Script : http://www.fotorack.com/attachment.p...achmentid=9121
    Referrer :
    IP Address : 62.231.245.3
    Username :
    Classname : vb_database

------------------
    to this site5 staff responded-
    Your web site has simply outgrown the available resources on our shared web hosting platform. Each MySQL database user is allowed 15 connections at one particular point in time to the database server. If you are constantly maxing this limit, you may want to consider an alternative solution such as a dedicated or virtual dedicated server.

I would advise that you consult with our resource usage policy so as to ensure that your web site currently meats the criteria as indicated. This documentation can be found here: https://help.site5.com/index.php?_m=...kbarticleid=83

Let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Thank you.
    also in their faq section-
    What limits do you place upon MySQL usage?

similtaneous connections: Our limit is approximately 200.

However, we are more concerned about oddities, abuse, and unexplained resource usage, rather than the exact number of connections.

databases: Our size limit for any particular database is 25OMb. You are allowed an unlimited number of databases.

Link
    Finally i moved my vb site to a VPS