Looking for VPS (And I have no idea about it.)

This site:

hxxp://fishcoastaltexas.com/forums/

Is currently with site5. Its been horrible. They only allow 15-30 MySQL connections at a time (If I recall correctly.). We have slow loading times, etc.

My question is: is the site big enough to move to VPS, and if so what sort of set up do I need?

We use about 10-15 gigs of bandwidth a month, 1 gig of disk space, 15-20 users online at once (growing VERY rapidly though.), and our MySQL database grows by about 20 megs a month, on average (Currently at 116 MB).

I have no idea what to look for when it comes to VPS servers or any idea how much stuff we need. So if you people would be so nice as to provide me with some good hosts and tell me what sort of set up I need (if I need VPS at all, maybe I just need a new shared host?) I'd be very grateful.

Elixir,

I'm actually on the hunt for a VPS myself right now.
    The companies I'm considering are:

powervps
    a2b2

I'm still after more recommendations as well! Maybe we can hunt together.

I recommend westhost it is extremely cheap for VPS

Quote Originally Posted by kingdavies
    I'm looking for more than just "company X FTW". I'm wanting to know what I need to know to make choices on my own as well. Wanting to know what sort of RAM I need and such.

I am with hostmaven ( www.hostmaven.com ) I have never had any problems. Been with them for about 6 months now.
    Upfront Business Solutions
    A Cloud & Microsoft SaaS provider
    "Creating you a online web presence"

Thread moved to VPS Forum.
    They only allow 15-30 MySQL connections at a time (If I recall correctly.).
    From https://help.site5.com/index.php?_m=...kbarticleid=83 :

Database restrictions:

- All users are restricted to 15 concurrent MySQL connections.
    - Each database is restricted to 1,000 MBs of disk space.
    - Database queries should not exceed 2,000 per hour.
    - Database changes (insert/update/delete) should not exceed 500 queries per hour.
    - Database servers should not be used as a hosted solution. Database access should only be used for the web site hosted by Site5.
    At those prices, I suspect the environment must be pretty similar to shared hosting.

Thank you, ldcdc.

A managed VPS will be a good upgrade. You are only limited by the RAM/disk/cpu cycles you get.

Like all hosting, VPS's can/are being oversold. Its easy to end up with a worse solution than shared.

Some VPS's are even faster than dedicated servers ;-)
    Ultra High Performance UK VPS without compromise.
    HPe servers, Intel NVMe DC P3700/P4600 SSD
    https://clustered.net

It would be a bit more helpful if you could provide an estimated budget. Depending on your setup, you might need a VPS costing somewhere between $30/month and $100/month. If you only want to spend $20/month (for example), you will almost certainly be frustrated by what you get. If this is a money making venture, and you can afford to pump some cash into your hosting, then VPSes are great. You can often pay for a package with a particular amount of CPU power and a certain amount of disk space, then, if it's insufficient, bump your package to a more powerful VPS. Some companies (vpslink is one that I use) can allow you to do this from your control panel, without support intervention. This type of plan will prevent you from ordering a ferrari when a toyota will do.

Before you go swapping hosts and have the same problem again try changing your include/config.php with:

Code:
    //	****** MASTER DATABASE PERSISTENT CONNECTIONS ******
    	//	This option allows you to turn persistent connections to MySQL on or off.
    	//	The difference in performance is negligible for all but the largest boards.
    	//	If you are unsure what this should be, leave it off. (0 = off; 1 = on)
    $config['MasterServer']['usepconnect'] = 0;

with such traffic you might have bigger budget. With bigger budget you might choose VPS or even (why not?) dedicated server...

Quote Originally Posted by minsight
    It would be a bit more helpful if you could provide an estimated budget. Depending on your setup, you might need a VPS costing somewhere between $30/month and $100/month. If you only want to spend $20/month (for example), you will almost certainly be frustrated by what you get. If this is a money making venture, and you can afford to pump some cash into your hosting, then VPSes are great. You can often pay for a package with a particular amount of CPU power and a certain amount of disk space, then, if it's insufficient, bump your package to a more powerful VPS. Some companies (vpslink is one that I use) can allow you to do this from your control panel, without support intervention. This type of plan will prevent you from ordering a ferrari when a toyota will do.
    My budget is roughly 25-30$, though if it needs to be more, I can probably stretch it some.

@XanaduServers

This is already done that way.

Check these as they run from 25-30 some less depending on what you get added to and some a few bucks, depending on the cp you choose,etc.:
    SLHost
    FutureHosting
    VeggieHost
    SolarVPS

Search around for deals for these companies in the VPS Offer forum, you can can find some good deals.
    SETRAHOST.COM - Web hosting that you can not only rely on, but also afford.
    • NVMe SSD Storage • cPanel • DirectAdmin • Free SSL • LiteSpeed • imunify360
    • Daily Backups • 30 Day Money Back • 99.99% Uptime Guarantee • 24/7 Support

I think serveraxis, slicehost and veggiehost fits into that price range with their 512MB plans.

iFastHosting also fits in your price standards
    SETRAHOST.COM - Web hosting that you can not only rely on, but also afford.
    • NVMe SSD Storage • cPanel • DirectAdmin • Free SSL • LiteSpeed • imunify360
    • Daily Backups • 30 Day Money Back • 99.99% Uptime Guarantee • 24/7 Support

I recommend futurehosting.biz. You can read a review I did by searching that name or my username.

Outstanding company with excellent support and support times.
    My Portfolio: www.matthewsauk.com