Holiday Traditions

Each family normally has a tradition which they do every year at a specific holiday. For example, most people have the tradition that each person opens a christmas gift one Christmas Eve. I was just wondering, what are some of your family's Thanksgiving/Christmas family traditions?

I'm sure we'll hear some rather interesting ones .

My Thanksgiving was in the beginning of October, so I'll give you my family's Christmas tradition:

• Everybody gets to open one gift on Christmas Eve.
      Eldest son is "Santa" and hands out presents on Christmas Day to everybody.
      Christmas morning breakfast is waffles, sausage, and bacon.

I can't say I've ever heard of the one present on Christmas Eve tradition. Where's the fun in that? Ya know, the fun of making the kids wait until 6am Christmas Day. Sure, it's hell for the kids, but fun for the adults.

I always remember my father would disconnect the gas fire and pull it out to allow Santa to come down the chimney. Just in front of the fire we would place mince pies and carrots for Santa and his reindeer. I remember one Christmas Eve when my brother and I heard a large bang that seemed to come from the roof. I still say to this day it was Santa. Oh the memories...

I can't say we really had/have any clear cut traditions. My brother and I always got an apple in our stockings hung next to the fire, which was always thrown in the bin a week later when the Christmas tree was taken down. Does that count?

One I just remembered... Christmas Day night we always had friends around, and my father wouild make some lovely stuffing balls that I would eat before anybody else got their hands on them. He only made these at Christmas, so I guess that is a small tradition.
    - Jamie Harrop

Quote Originally Posted by Techpresence
    For example, most people have the tradition that each person opens a christmas gift one Christmas Eve.
    Never heard of that one. For us Christmas Eve is when the extended family gets together to feast and exchange presents between families. Santa comes Christmas morning with gifts for the kids & mom-dad presents and we gather at someone elses house in the afternoon for left overs and a less formal gathering usually ending in a board or card game against my crafty and ancient in-laws.

I don't even remember this happening last year, but generally on New Years we have a fondue night. Good times to be had I reckon.

Christmas we would get together, just the small bunch, mom dad brother and have a good meal and just lax, since I rarely see my brother throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno
    Never heard of that one. For us Christmas Eve is when the extended family gets together to feast and exchange presents between families. Santa comes Christmas morning with gifts for the kids & mom-dad presents and we gather at someone elses house in the afternoon for left overs and a less formal gathering usually ending in a board or card game against my crafty and ancient in-laws.

I figured that would be one of the "normal" traditions! I thought it was something everyone done (at least most of everyone I know does that). Anyways, same goes for us for Christmas morning.

My brother and I always got an apple in our stockings hung next to the fire, which was always thrown in the bin a week later when the Christmas tree was taken down. Does that count?
    That's pretty interesting. I remember the old story of Christmas stockings: fruit and what not was originally used to stuff them. I would imagine that families with dogs couldn't do this, as they'd wake up and not have an apple... possibly not a stocking either .

My family is big into general aviation (the small airplanes). Both my father and grandfather are pilots. Every Christmas Eve (weather permitting) myself, my father, my grandfather, and my grandmother take a flight up to Greenville-Spartanburg, South Carolina for lunch. No particular reason, its simply tradition
    -steve