Perfect server setup for cpanel hosting

What is your recommendadtion for the perfect server setup for a one server cpanel, webhosting company, with plans on expanding.
    I know fast and big drives but what makes the most sense today?
    Thanks for your suggestions.

There are too many variables to answer that question.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Remember to find a server with unlimited hard drive space and a bandwidth connection that allows you to have unlimited bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryc3
    Remember to find a server with unlimited hard drive space and a bandwidth connection that allows you to have unlimited bandwidth.
    Was that supposed to be funny?

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    Was that supposed to be funny?
    Based on how many unlimited hosts there are I thought it was kind of funny...lol.

As Tina said though I believe that there are way to many variables. A lot of it depends on your business plan and what market you are targeting.

The majority of my clients run forums so I need a lot of memory in my boxes and I need to really focus on the MySQL optimization. If you run mostly static stuff that will not be as big of a concern (though more memory never hurts.)

Drives, Ram, Drives, Ram, then CPU.

A dual Xeon or Opteron with 2-4 GB ram and twin 250GB drives in Raid. That would be a nice enough setup for selling hosting.
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

Also beware with 250 GB drives you may have an I/O bottleneck unless they are FAST.

Thanks for the input.

Really don't see why this is so funny, to anyone that has been really hosting for a few years and has a thousand or so accounts. If have that many accounts you normally have a selection of clients from forums to shopping carts. I would think by now, you would have tha perfect server setup in mind.
    Big fast, etc. I just wanted some honest input from people that had experince in hosting using cpanel.
    Good point about the 250 drive.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by native
    Really don't see why this is so funny, to anyone that has been really hosting for a few years and has a thousand or so accounts. If have that many accounts you normally have a selection of clients from forums to shopping carts. I would think by now, you would have tha perfect server setup in mind.
    Big fast, etc. I just wanted some honest input from people that had experince in hosting using cpanel.
    Good point about the 250 drive.
    Thanks

A thousand forum and shopping cart accounts? That's going to be four servers, at least.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

A thousand forum and shopping carts can drain resources, so I would go all out and buy at least 3 very good server. This is not something you can do with one server no matter how supped up it is. Keep that in mind.
    SwiftModders - Premium WHMCS Themes, Blesta Themes, and WordPress Development
    View my top-rated WHMCS Themes trusted by over 1,000 businesses!
    █ Now offering Blesta Themes to transform your Blesta client area!

thanks for the info guys

Think: lots of little servers, not one big server.
    It makes things more reliable and puts fewer of your eggs in one basket.

Think also: extrernal DNS servers, to make moving around easier.
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

Quote Originally Posted by GordonH
    Think: lots of little servers, not one big server.
    It makes things more reliable and puts fewer of your eggs in one basket.
    Keep in mind that is more servers that must be properly secured. :-/

CPanel hosting for me only works this way:

Dual Opteron 246 +
    2GB RAM +
    SATA +
    Linux ES 4
    Stable CPanel builds

The above is what I come to trust after many experiences with various OS and chips. No, not centOS, I personally found centOS to break by little bits easily.

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    No, not centOS, I personally found centOS to break by little bits easily.
    To me this makes no sense. CentOS is the same code as RedHat ES. How could it break by little bits? Can you give an example?

I say this because I have run both ES and CentOS with no such problems. I have been running RedHat since 7.3 in the server environment, prior to that it was Slackware since 1996.

It mostly depends on the needs of your client/customer. There is no such thing as perfect.

Yes, CentOS is built on Redhats Enterprise server distro. But it is managed differently, it's definately a different flavour.

CentOS is good, but just not good as.. - in my experience.

With the real linux the feeling and performance is real corporate, stability and security - hence updates and new versions come out very slowly..

On the basic level in everyday managing, the RHEL is ridiculously consistant and stable - I never had any problems with this. CentOS for me, had been stable as well, but there were than few instances and occasions when I started wonder what on earth just happened - and unexplained faults.

Just sharing my experience.

We've been using centOS for a very long time on many of our servers. I believe we have around 50 servers using it currently with no related problems whatsoever.

--Tina