Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

alright..I've got to know..Vista anybody?

Hi!
    Now than Billco(tm) has released Vista into production..I've got to know...how many of you brave souls are going to take a look at it? I'm not...and won't be for quite some time. I *might* consider taking a look at it..say..June '07..but not before. Even more interesting..how many of you will be treated to a network-wide..uhhh..."upgrade" of this? Well...if history has taught us anything..backup your backups *NOW*..and get them far away from this. I'm telling ye..it ain't gonna be pretty.

I mean..if Saint Steve had something better...I would have gone to Apple long ago...but it's not. Uncle Torv has many options, though. Opensuse on the desktop?
    I have Ubuntu..and are quite pleased with it. Windows-killer it is not..but..still...

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Mac OS X is a lot better in my opinion, the only thing it's bad at is Game Compatability, and a few other nerdy-side-options.

But that's what dual booting's for!

I'm going to try Vista, I think i'll want to wait for the price to drop, because it's 99USD for a cd, with a glossy box. The CD containing the core code of Vista, plus the security options. Hardly worth upgrading if you ask me.

Unless of course the price drops....

Neither of you have had the chance to play with Vista yet, I can see.

Vista is actually more stable (even in RC version) than XP and much faster.

Besides that, the 64 bit version is much more compatible with 32 bit software.

Personally I will be upgrading in December when I get the CD's from MS.

And I always keep backups.

I build software and need it for testing... so, yes, I'll have it. If not for work, I would not bother, I don't believe. XP is stable and works great for me... why fix something that is not broke?

But I do keep going back and forth on the issue... one week I'm loving vista, next I'm wondering the big deal (in the large scope of things). My problem is the move from 95 to 98... wow... 98 to 2000... double wow.... 2000 to xp... wow... xp to vista... ok.... Most things in vista can be done in xp (or put in with 3rd party vendors, and MS).

I guess we can focus on security, but I still see people downloading crap and allowing the software (spyware/malware) onto their computer... it is not the OS, it is the PEOPLE. But I could be wrong, we will see....

The only thing missing in OSX is software and hardware for the masses.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by XanaduServers
    Neither of you have had the chance to play with Vista yet, I can see.

Besides that, the 64 bit version is much more compatible with 32 bit software.

Personally I will be upgrading in December when I get the CD's from MS.

And I always keep backups.
    Actually I have used it. It's installed on my computer now.

I actually tried to download the Vista Beta at one point. The DVD hung during boot up though and I kind of forgot about it for a while. I was planning on ordering the DVD from Microsoft and will go there right now to see if that's still available.

I plan to upgrade to the $400 version of Vista when it comes out. I'll buy it the first day because from everything I have seen it is going to be an incredible OS. I bet it will put OSX to the test, and quite possibly could be even better.

EDIT: According to the official Vista website, the beta seems to have been ended? I have a license and key for it but my DVD doesn't work. Does anybody know where I can get the DVD and if Microsoft is still shipping it?
    Last edited by hybrix; 11-23-2006 at 06:16 PM.
    ► Does your website need the NURV ® touch?
    ► Professional logo animation services.

I'm running vista right now, been running ever since pirated 'billgates' edition was released. I like the eyecandy, and the enhanced usability.

Quote Originally Posted by xanadu
    Depends on how you look at it. I've had some issues with aero putting my cpu in a bearhug. Also, I've had some trouble with my video card not being very efficient, and lagging during the most simple of tasks (eg: holding the down button to scroll in firefox results in it being choppy on some webpages) That could be seen as more of an nvidia problem though.

Mac OS X will never be beaten by Windows.... the platform has more potential, and the designers are a lot better at what they do.

Was running Vista for about 2 months on my laptop. Ran great. But like every MS OS, its plagues with networking problems. Vista did not like getting a IP from the DHCP server.
    Upfront Business Solutions
    A Cloud & Microsoft SaaS provider
    "Creating you a online web presence"

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    Mac OS X will never be beaten by Windows.... the platform has more potential, and the designers are a lot better at what they do.
    Haven't had a single networking issue on it yet (have it running on two systems here for testing including dual boot on my main system).

As for it never beating Mac OS X, it already has. What do people actually use? Check the statistics, Windows has more installs than any other software.

As for better designers..... Hmm....

Xerox invents the Windows Concept......

Mac Steals it.......

MS sees it at Mac and steals it.........

Mac has issues with the Mac OS so moves to using FreeBSD (*nix enviroment) as a base for a new OS.

Mac starts to gain popularity again.....

MS sees it...........

MS steals the concepts again and uses it with there continued massive software support (compared to other OSes).........

Now, who is winning the OPerating System battle again?

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but the fact remains Windows has already beat Mac and *nix. Until they can find some way to get the major software manufacturers to work with them they don't stand a chance.

I gave the RTM version a try, but switched back to XP after 5 days..
    It's nice and all..but like uber said, it has these odd slow downs on the simplest of things..

Supposingly, the MS guys are still working on the January edition and applying tweaks. I hope that by then things will be better and that hardware drivers issued by the hardware companies themselves will be fully compatible with vista by then
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

I'm definitely upgrading sometime in early 2007. I used Vista RC 1 & 2 and thought it was great even if it felt minimally better.
    SupportPal - Smart self-hosted help desk software
    Supporting multiple channels, including Twitter and Facebook. WHMCS integration available.
    LicensePal - Discounted popular web hosting software licenses
    cPanel, InterWorx, SolusVM, CloudLinux, Blesta, Softaculous, Installatron, and much more!

Hi!
    What about freecell performance? That's all I care about! (joke)

I might take a look at it earlier than expected after all..thanks to your input.

Thanks!

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by XSI-Larry
    Haven't had a single networking issue on it yet (have it running on two systems here for testing including dual boot on my main system).

As for it never beating Mac OS X, it already has. What do people actually use? Check the statistics, Windows has more installs than any other software.

As for better designers..... Hmm....

Xerox invents the Windows Concept......

Mac Steals it.......

MS sees it at Mac and steals it.........

Mac has issues with the Mac OS so moves to using FreeBSD (*nix enviroment) as a base for a new OS.

Mac starts to gain popularity again.....

MS sees it...........

MS steals the concepts again and uses it with there continued massive software support (compared to other OSes).........

Now, who is winning the OPerating System battle again?

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but the fact remains Windows has already beat Mac and *nix. Until they can find some way to get the major software manufacturers to work with them they don't stand a chance.
    I know Mac isn't "winning", but it's definitely the better OS.

Just loaded up my Ultimate copy. One thing if you're considering upgrading. Install fresh! The upgrade process made several mistakes (breaking programs, weird driver issues) that clean install does not. I was sort of hoping they'd ironed out some of my issues when I'd beta-tested, but I guess not.

Once loaded and upgrade issues are resolved it runs fine. I've run it on my laptop (Pentium M 1.86Ghz/1Gig RAM/ATI X300) and desktop machine, which is much closer to state of the art. No issues on either.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I am already running the Ultimate version on my notebook and am loving it. The only downfall that I have found so far is that it takes much more resources to run it. It is using half a gig of ram on idle, but processor load is fine.

It has numerous improvement over Xp, especially the part of the system where it tweaks itself just for your system, excellent idea. Also runs most of my programs much faster and much more stable than XP could ever dream of.

The new start menu and program list isnmt very nice though, i find it cluttered and hard to find things.

I love the new thing that is sorta like sleep, but way better. My laptop will go into this mode and use almost no battery life, but as soon as you use the keyboard or mouse it is rite back to life.

Overall I do believe it is one of the best operating systems i have used yet, we have come a long ways since DOS and windows 3.1.

Thats my overview of Vista

Lane

Vista will break. No doubt. It breaks on upgrades. Good one. Get Linux!

Quote Originally Posted by jake_b
    Vista will break. No doubt. It breaks on upgrades. Good one. Get Linux!
    Linux umbuntu "broke" after an update... locked up and would not let me pass the login screen.

Personally, I don't see Mac, windows, or linux as being better or worse... each does a job... each has their own following, if you will. There are certain people going to mac, win, and linux... no right or wrong, all of them are good OSs.

That happened to my brothers computer. In case u havent fixed it, on boot when u get to the Grub loading prompt, press Esc (I think, or whatever it is to get into the boot options). Select login safemode as root, and then at the prompt type passwd [username]. Da daaaa!

jake

Quote Originally Posted by jake_b
    That happened to my brothers computer. In case u havent fixed it, on boot when u get to the Grub loading prompt, press Esc (I think, or whatever it is to get into the boot options). Select login safemode as root, and then at the prompt type passwd [username]. Da daaaa!

jake
    I've not bothered to fix it... I was testing it out to see if linux had "got there" yet. I'll give it another go after the next upgrade.

Between my mac and windows, I don't have much need for linux, although, I do like to test it and see what is happening on the linux front. I like what ubuntu has done with linux. Unbuntu is a nice linux distro, from what I was able to play with.

Then again, I may download and test again sooner since I really want to play with a couple of programs built for linux...

You should all read the brand new TOS for Vista...
    None of you would want it after that bit of literature.

Mac OSX - not for me. It seems to be the favorite among dreamweaver and flash people... the artsy type.
    Even ADOBE recognizes the PC as superior. Long ago they developed their programs (photoshop, illustrator,...) on the MAC and eventually ported them to PC format. For the past few releases they've been developing on the PC and eventually porting to MAC

I'm going Linux as soon as XP goes the way of unsupported OS's
    -= Webmaster=-
    -=Programmer=-
    -=. Hired Gun .=-
    .oº°'¨'°ºo.oº°'¨

Please point out what is so bad in these:

http://download.microsoft.com/docume...a3d405c074.pdf

http://download.microsoft.com/docume...9cf5105718.pdf

And the others that can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal...s/default.aspx

There is very little difference between the XP and the Vista one.

Ugh, well after upgrading to Vista on my desktop, I ended up going back to WindowsXP. I started seeing weird issues with my games regarding refresh rates and flickering in the background. Also the performance of some games suffered immensely.

I knew from the beta test things would be a little slower, but it was absurd. And I have Intel Core 2 6600, 2Gb of RAM, and a NVidia 7950GT 512Mb video card. But the speeds of many games were running like my old 3800+ dual core with a Radeon 9800. Literally 50% slower in Oblivion. Strange that I didn't see any of these things before.

Oh well, I'll try again in three months after I see what hotfixes MS posts. I don't intend to give up on using Vista in the future (since this won't be like ME), but right now it isn't a complete OS
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

It actually is a complete OS, but I expect to see some Backwards Compatibility issues.

Vista is completely centered around DX10, which no games yet released support. DX9 is a backwards compatibility set so I would expect to see some game degradation.

I've been testing it since beta 2. It's really not that bad, but I don't see any cause for everyone to rush out and upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast