Textmate - Worth it?

I'm looking for a Ruby on Rails editor, but Textmate seems to be everything. It's 50 dollars and to me that is quite a bit...is getting it worth it? Does this include future upgrades, including the one to 2.0 for Leopard?

Textmate folks seem to swear by it, although some vim users who have tried to make the switch appear less convinced.

If 50$ is too much, perhaps you have time to learn vim. Its not everyone's cup of tea either, but useful to know at some level regardless if you do much work in *nix. Runs on Windows too. Free. Very powerful, but has a learning curve.

http://www.vim.org/

Vim plugin for Rails (googled to locate)
    http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1567

Rails wiki:
    http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pa...seVimWithRails
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Hm...I see...what about jEdit? Is it any good?

Sure - jEdit is very capable and cross platform. I used it for the better part of a year. Don' t know what kind of Rails support it has, but if it has some plugins, I'd say its will worth your time to explore. Much lower learning curve than vim or emacs.

Quote Originally Posted by klarth
    I'm looking for a Ruby on Rails editor, but Textmate seems to be everything. It's 50 dollars and to me that is quite a bit...is getting it worth it? Does this include future upgrades, including the one to 2.0 for Leopard?
    I know the basics of vim and also own Textmate. While I am not at a mac computer as much as I'd like, I definitely enjoy using textmate. For $50, it shouldnt be too big of a whole in your pocket. Also, think about the ROI; if it makes you a more efficient programmer, you can do more coding "gigs" and make more money.

Have fun, I am just starting off with RoR too!

IMO, Textmate is well worth the $50.

Textmate might be worth $50 but it only runs on a Mac.

I'll never own a Mac. For one of the consulting gigs I do I am forced to deal with / use a Mac, and I quite frankly hate it. Give me raw Unix or nothing.

Agree with ROI considerations -- that's one of the reasons why I use vim / gvim in a minimalistic window manager. Heavy customization and very little need for the mouse lets me bang out code much faster. Of course, the period of customization and learning curve cost me more then $50 in time... but it was worth it. For me. Your Mileage May Vary.
    Last edited by mwatkins; 11-22-2006 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks all. But does that money include future upgrades, or will I have to pay for every version that comes out?

From their website:

License Policy

A license bought today will work for all versions released within the next year, including 2.0 (which will be a free upgrade for all registered users).

A license is personal and can be used on all computers owned by the license owner, or where the license owner is the primary user.

So basically it's 50 dollars a year if you want to keep up with the updates, right?

Quote Originally Posted by klarth
    So basically it's 50 dollars a year if you want to keep up with the updates, right?
    That's what their website reveals, yes.

I've had TextMate since last July and of course I still get updates.

Not only is TextMate the best programming tool I have ever used, but it's so good in fact, that I know 2 different people that bought Macs just because of it. THAT is how good of a tool it is.

Worth every penny!
    Travis Bell

OH wow....hm....I guess I'll use my 30 day trial to the fullest and see if it's for me. Thanks!

Wow I am surprised no one has mentioned Rad Rails? http://www.radrails.org/

I have tried that and I don't like it....Java boots up kinda slow and RadRails is too bulky for my taste...